Kernel Upgrade - OpenSUSE 10.2 - Suse

This is a discussion on Kernel Upgrade - OpenSUSE 10.2 - Suse ; Hello, I am currently using OpenSUSE 10.2 x86_64 (2.6.18.8-0.3-default) and need to upgrade to a newer kernel version (2.6.22-rc1 or later): the reason is that the drivers for my wireless card only work with more recent kernels; There is no ...

  1. Kernel Upgrade - OpenSUSE 10.2

    Hello,

    I am currently using OpenSUSE 10.2 x86_64 (2.6.18.8-0.3-default) and need to
    upgrade to a newer kernel version (2.6.22-rc1 or later): the reason is that
    the drivers for my wireless card only work with more recent kernels; There
    is no other way, trust me, I've searched the whole internet for an
    alternative and there is none.

    Hence my question: I have found newer kernel RPMs on some repositories, but
    when trying to install them through yast, it says that several dependencies
    are not met (such as AppArmor, perl-loader and other important elements)
    and that forcing the installation will break them.

    I am afraid that compiling my own kernel (from kernel.org) will lead to the
    same issue. I really don't want to screw things up.

    What do you advise me to do? Should I use another distro coming by default
    with the kernel I need and then switch back to OpenSUSE 10.3 when it is
    available? Or should I compile my own kernel nevertheless and see what
    happens? Have any of you guys reported any problems linked to a kernel
    upgrade in OpenSUSE 10.2?

    Thank you,

    Jean

  2. Re: Kernel Upgrade - OpenSUSE 10.2

    Jean Barloy wrote:

    > I am currently using OpenSUSE 10.2 x86_64 (2.6.18.8-0.3-default) and need
    > to upgrade to a newer kernel version (2.6.22-rc1 or later): the reason is
    > that the drivers for my wireless card only work with more recent kernels;
    > There is no other way, trust me, I've searched the whole internet for an
    > alternative and there is none.

    even windriver & ndiswrapper?
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: Kernel Upgrade - OpenSUSE 10.2

    EOS wrote:

    > Jean Barloy wrote:
    >
    >> I am currently using OpenSUSE 10.2 x86_64 (2.6.18.8-0.3-default) and need
    >> to upgrade to a newer kernel version (2.6.22-rc1 or later): the reason is
    >> that the drivers for my wireless card only work with more recent kernels;
    >> There is no other way, trust me, I've searched the whole internet for an
    >> alternative and there is none.

    > even windriver & ndiswrapper?

    ndiswrapper does work, but I miss some features of the native linux
    driver...

  4. Re: Kernel Upgrade - OpenSUSE 10.2

    Jean Barloy wrote:

    > ndiswrapper does work, but I miss some features of the native linux
    > driver...

    i should wait than, but if you need that...... compille
    in october is openSUSE 10.3 with at least Linux kernel 2.6.22-rc6
    (mabye from beta 2 or so in late augustus)

    i only found in rpm
    ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/sus...0.2_exp/x86_64
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.7 / openSUSE 10.2

  5. Re: Kernel Upgrade - OpenSUSE 10.2

    EOS wrote:
    > i should wait than, but if you need that...... compille
    > in october is openSUSE 10.3 with at least Linux kernel 2.6.22-rc6
    > (mabye from beta 2 or so in late augustus)

    I would advice against using Beta on a working platform. First it is
    beta and second security updates are not done and also because it is
    beta.

    houghi
    --
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

  6. Re: Kernel Upgrade - OpenSUSE 10.2

    houghi wrote:

    > I would advice against using Beta on a working platform. First it is
    > beta and second security updates are not done and also because it is
    > beta.

    agree ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.7 / openSUSE 10.2

  7. Re: Kernel Upgrade - OpenSUSE 10.2

    Jean Barloy wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am currently using OpenSUSE 10.2 x86_64 (2.6.18.8-0.3-default) and need
    > to upgrade to a newer kernel version (2.6.22-rc1 or later): the reason is
    > that the drivers for my wireless card only work with more recent kernels;
    > There is no other way, trust me, I've searched the whole internet for an
    > alternative and there is none.
    >
    > Hence my question: I have found newer kernel RPMs on some repositories,
    > but when trying to install them through yast, it says that several
    > dependencies are not met (such as AppArmor, perl-loader and other
    > important elements) and that forcing the installation will break them.
    >
    > I am afraid that compiling my own kernel (from kernel.org) will lead to
    > the same issue. I really don't want to screw things up.
    >
    > What do you advise me to do? Should I use another distro coming by default
    > with the kernel I need and then switch back to OpenSUSE 10.3 when it is
    > available? Or should I compile my own kernel nevertheless and see what
    > happens? Have any of you guys reported any problems linked to a kernel
    > upgrade in OpenSUSE 10.2?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >

    > Jean

    Add this repo and do an update.
    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...nSUSE_Factory/

    You will find the 2.6.22 kernel.

    If you simply just install the 2.6.22_rc6_git1-30.1-default kernel, a new
    entry will be added to your grub list for you.

    When you reboot, you will have to select the newer kernel. Once you know
    that the kernel works, you can make it the default choice using Yast.

    Yes, it is that easy

    --
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread