Successful use of GPS units with SuSE? - Suse

This is a discussion on Successful use of GPS units with SuSE? - Suse ; Has anybody been able to successfully use any of the GPS units that can be purchased in any store and use all the features the manufacture makes claims on? For example, I have a Garmin iQue 3600 and currently there ...

  1. Successful use of GPS units with SuSE?

    Has anybody been able to successfully use any of the GPS units that
    can be purchased in any store and use all the features the manufacture
    makes claims on?

    For example, I have a Garmin iQue 3600 and currently there is no
    software that I'm aware of for SuSE to utilize the GPS functionality
    that can be had under Windows.
    For example;
    under Windows I can upload Garmin's maps, but under SuSE wouldn't
    have a clue as to how to do it or if it can even be done.
    under Windows and SuSE I can upload and download MP3s.
    under Windows I can download Tracks so they can be used in
    conjunction with Garmin's own software as well as Google Earth (Not
    sure how the tracks get to Google Earth, but under the Garmin software
    there is an option to send to Google Earth so the tracks can be
    mapped)

    So my guess is under SuSE the features needed would be:
    Able to upload maps to GPS unit.
    Able to download maps from GPS unit.
    If GPS unit has a tracking capability be able to upload or download
    (at least download, I suppose)
    Be able to upload/download a type of address book to/from GPS unit
    Upload/download media (such as MP3s) to/from GPS

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Successful use of GPS units with SuSE?

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 14:26:00 -0700, Mini Mouse wrote:

    > Has anybody been able to successfully use any of the GPS units that can be
    > purchased in any store and use all the features the manufacture makes
    > claims on?

    http://tinyurl.com/2b8f7v

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  3. Re: Successful use of GPS units with SuSE?

    Mini Mouse wrote:

    > Has anybody been able to successfully use any of the GPS units that
    > can be purchased in any store and use all the features the manufacture
    > makes claims on?
    >
    > For example, I have a Garmin iQue 3600 and currently there is no
    > software that I'm aware of for SuSE to utilize the GPS functionality
    > that can be had under Windows.
    > For example;
    > under Windows I can upload Garmin's maps, but under SuSE wouldn't
    > have a clue as to how to do it or if it can even be done.
    > under Windows and SuSE I can upload and download MP3s.
    > under Windows I can download Tracks so they can be used in
    > conjunction with Garmin's own software as well as Google Earth (Not
    > sure how the tracks get to Google Earth, but under the Garmin software
    > there is an option to send to Google Earth so the tracks can be
    > mapped)
    >
    > So my guess is under SuSE the features needed would be:
    > Able to upload maps to GPS unit.
    > Able to download maps from GPS unit.
    > If GPS unit has a tracking capability be able to upload or download
    > (at least download, I suppose)
    > Be able to upload/download a type of address book to/from GPS unit
    > Upload/download media (such as MP3s) to/from GPS
    >
    > Thanks.

    A simple Google search for "OpenSuSE GPS software" yielded this page:

    http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/S...PS/index.shtml

    Several programs seem to be available. No I don't have experience with any
    though. I still use (paper) maps... LOL

    Have a look at GPSmAn:

    http://www.ncc.up.pt/gpsman/

    Also, look at this:

    http://www.xastir.org/

    ALSO........

    a quick Yast search yields the following programs which seem to do what
    you want:

    1. gpsbabel "GPSBabel converts waypoints, tracks, and routes from one
    format to another, whether that format is a common mapping format like
    Delorme, Streets and Trips, or even a serial upload or download to a GPS
    unit such as those from Garmin and Magellan. By flattening the Tower of
    Babel that the authors of various programs for manipulating GPS data have
    imposed upon us, it returns to us the ability to freely move our own
    waypoint data between the programs and hardware we choose to use.
    It contains extensive data manipulation abilities making it a convenient for
    server-side processing or as the backend for other tools.
    It does not convert, transfer, send, or manipulate maps. We process data
    that may (or may not be) placed on a map, such as waypoints, tracks, and
    routes. "

    2. gpsdrive "GpsDrive supports a GPS receiver connected to a serial port.
    It can navigate using maps from http://www.mapblast.com or
    http://www.expedia.com. Refer to the copyright of the maps."

    3. qlandkarte "View and upload map files, track and waypoint data to your
    Garmin GPS receiver."

    So it seems you have several choices. Good luck :-)

  4. Re: Successful use of GPS units with SuSE?

    Mini Mouse wrote:
    > Has anybody been able to successfully use any of the GPS units that
    > can be purchased in any store and use all the features the manufacture
    > makes claims on?

    I have a Tomtom and almost everything works from Linux. The only thing
    that did not work was activating a new map. However as I now have the
    whole of Europe, I do not realy need a new activation very soon.

    I just finished (By just I mean 5 minutes ago) a script to be run in
    bash made for the Tomtom http://houghi.org/tomtom/
    The Tomtom runs Linux and the source is available:
    http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=gpl

    Again, however no avtivation of (new) maps.
    I can however easily add voices, add itineraries, change the boot
    picture and do everything else.

    Basicaly I plug in the Tomtom and browse the directory. I just bought a
    cheap 1GB card, went to a friend to activate the card with the codes I
    have and then I was able to do anything I desired.

    I have no idea what things I would need my computer for, else then
    uploading and downloading files to the device and use it.

    houghi
    --
    They say pesticides have been linked to low sperm counts.
    In my opinion if you have bugs down there that are so bad

+ Reply to Thread