Dual Boot install on Lenovo Thinkpad R60e using NT bootloader - Suse

This is a discussion on Dual Boot install on Lenovo Thinkpad R60e using NT bootloader - Suse ; I want to put OpenSuSE 10.2 on this XP laptop. I'm following the procedure here: http://www.sbellon.de/t60.html which is for Debian and which explains why I want to use the NT bootloader. Will something like this procedure work with SuSE? The ...

  1. Dual Boot install on Lenovo Thinkpad R60e using NT bootloader

    I want to put OpenSuSE 10.2 on this XP laptop. I'm following the
    procedure here: http://www.sbellon.de/t60.html which is for Debian and
    which explains why I want to use the NT bootloader.

    Will something like this procedure work with SuSE? The important thing
    seems to be to avoid changing the MBR during the SuSE install.

    I've only done installs on dedicated machines and I can't remember any
    options about MBRs. Is there anything I have to do or avoid doing to
    ensure the MBR is not altered?

    I also plan to create a FAT32 partition to be shared between SuSE and XP
    and I'll use that to transfer the bootgrub.bin file into XP when I set
    up the NT bootloader.

    Dave
    --
    (Remove any numerics from my email address.)

  2. Re: Dual Boot install on Lenovo Thinkpad R60e using NT bootloader

    Dave Royal wrote:
    > I've only done installs on dedicated machines and I can't remember any
    > options about MBRs. Is there anything I have to do or avoid doing to
    > ensure the MBR is not altered?

    During installattion, go to the expert mode and select 'Partitioning'
    http://houghi.org/shots/KDE/slides/2...6-09.06.05.php

    houghi
    --
    They say pesticides have been linked to low sperm counts.
    In my opinion if you have bugs down there that are so bad

  3. Re: Dual Boot install on Lenovo Thinkpad R60e using NT bootloader- done

    Dave Royal wrote:
    > I want to put OpenSuSE 10.2 on this XP laptop. I'm following the
    > procedure here: http://www.sbellon.de/t60.html which is for Debian and
    > which explains why I want to use the NT bootloader.
    >
    > Will something like this procedure work with SuSE? The important thing
    > seems to be to avoid changing the MBR during the SuSE install.

    It did work. The Linux boot loader options are in the 'expert' tab
    behind 'installation settings'. It doesn't write anything to the MBR
    unless you specify that. The only option I changed was to not set the
    active flag on the boot partition. This meant that the reboots during
    installation would have booted windows so I rebooted from the
    installation CD and used the 'boot installed system' option (which is in
    the text version of YAST installer but not the graphics one for some
    reason, so you have to abort the graphics install and let it fail into
    text mode).

    Setting up the NT boot loader worked exactly as in the reference I gave.

    Dave
    --
    (Remove any numerics from my email address.)

+ Reply to Thread