Anyone using Nvidia SLI and Sata with AMD 64 x2 ? - Suse

This is a discussion on Anyone using Nvidia SLI and Sata with AMD 64 x2 ? - Suse ; Has anyone any experience running Suse with the captioned equipment? Although the chip is 64 bit, I would plan to use 32 bit Linux for as I understand it there is no 64 bit Java. Or maybe I heard wrong ...

  1. Anyone using Nvidia SLI and Sata with AMD 64 x2 ?

    Has anyone any experience running Suse with the captioned equipment?
    Although the chip is 64 bit, I would plan to use 32 bit Linux for as I
    understand it there is no 64 bit Java. Or maybe I heard wrong but
    anyway, I should be more concerned at this point whether the kernel
    supports SATA without machinations and incantations. I do not at this
    point plan to use the SLI features of the chipset, but wonder if it
    would be supported too. I know Nvidia is Linux friendly so perhaps if
    Suse won't work the chipset fully out of the box, I can visit Nvidia for
    some drivers. Any thoughts appreciated....oh...it is an EVGA mobo, if
    that makes any difference, and I have just built the box, it has not
    even an OS yet.

  2. Re: Anyone using Nvidia SLI and Sata with AMD 64 x2 ?

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    > Has anyone any experience running Suse with the captioned equipment?
    > Although the chip is 64 bit, I would plan to use 32 bit Linux for as I
    > understand it there is no 64 bit Java. Or maybe I heard wrong but

    I'm using java here on SUSE 10.2 x64 without a problem.

    java -version displays

    java version "1.5.0_10"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_10-b03)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.5.0_10-b03, mixed mode)

    The runtime appears to be 32-bit but it runs without a problem on the
    64-bit OS. Not sure what Java Hotspot is but it is 64-bit. The two
    play together without any heartache.

    > anyway, I should be more concerned at this point whether the kernel
    > supports SATA without machinations and incantations.

    I've been using a SATA HD for about a year now on an Asus board (firstly
    with SUSE 10.1 and then 10.2, both x64). It worked straight out of the
    box with no extra drivers needed.

  3. Re: Anyone using Nvidia SLI and Sata with AMD 64 x2 ?

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:

    > Has anyone any experience running Suse with the captioned equipment?
    > Although the chip is 64 bit, I would plan to use 32 bit Linux for as I
    > understand it there is no 64 bit Java. Or maybe I heard wrong but
    > anyway, I should be more concerned at this point whether the kernel
    > supports SATA without machinations and incantations. I do not at this
    > point plan to use the SLI features of the chipset, but wonder if it
    > would be supported too. I know Nvidia is Linux friendly so perhaps if
    > Suse won't work the chipset fully out of the box, I can visit Nvidia for
    > some drivers. Any thoughts appreciated....oh...it is an EVGA mobo, if
    > that makes any difference, and I have just built the box, it has not
    > even an OS yet.

    I'm running a 64 bit version and a 32 bit version - two nearly identical
    hardware boxes. On the 32 bit version, I can go to a game site using java
    (www.pogo.com) and it works to play freecell solitaire. If I go there with
    the 64 bit version (both with firefox) it wants to install java and tells
    me there is no compatable version, java is installed on it.

    So, no, 64 bit will not work for all applications.

    John

  4. Re: Anyone using Nvidia SLI and Sata with AMD 64 x2 ?

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:15:46 -0400, class_a wrote:

    > Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >> Has anyone any experience running Suse with the captioned equipment?
    >> Although the chip is 64 bit, I would plan to use 32 bit Linux for as I
    >> understand it there is no 64 bit Java. Or maybe I heard wrong but

    > I'm using java here on SUSE 10.2 x64 without a problem.
    >
    > java -version displays
    >
    > java version "1.5.0_10"
    > Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_10-b03)
    > Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.5.0_10-b03, mixed mode)
    >
    > The runtime appears to be 32-bit but it runs without a problem on the
    > 64-bit OS. Not sure what Java Hotspot is but it is 64-bit. The two
    > play together without any heartache.
    >
    >> anyway, I should be more concerned at this point whether the kernel
    >> supports SATA without machinations and incantations.

    > I've been using a SATA HD for about a year now on an Asus board (firstly
    > with SUSE 10.1 and then 10.2, both x64). It worked straight out of the
    > box with no extra drivers needed.

    same here: 64 bit java, and two SATA drives on Asus supported out of the
    box on 10.2, 10.3a and various other distros

  5. Re: Anyone using Nvidia SLI and Sata with AMD 64 x2 ?

    central77 wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:15:46 -0400, class_a wrote:
    >
    >> Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >>> Has anyone any experience running Suse with the captioned equipment?
    >>> Although the chip is 64 bit, I would plan to use 32 bit Linux for as I
    >>> understand it there is no 64 bit Java. Or maybe I heard wrong but

    >> I'm using java here on SUSE 10.2 x64 without a problem.
    >>
    >> java -version displays
    >>
    >> java version "1.5.0_10"
    >> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_10-b03)
    >> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.5.0_10-b03, mixed mode)
    >>
    >> The runtime appears to be 32-bit but it runs without a problem on the
    >> 64-bit OS. Not sure what Java Hotspot is but it is 64-bit. The two
    >> play together without any heartache.
    >>
    >>> anyway, I should be more concerned at this point whether the kernel
    >>> supports SATA without machinations and incantations.

    >> I've been using a SATA HD for about a year now on an Asus board (firstly
    >> with SUSE 10.1 and then 10.2, both x64). It worked straight out of the
    >> box with no extra drivers needed.

    > same here: 64 bit java, and two SATA drives on Asus supported out of the
    > box on 10.2, 10.3a and various other distros

    OK, guys, great news. at least I should be able to put in the CD and get
    it going. Moving my home directory from my present box to the new one,
    now that's.......augggh!

+ Reply to Thread