Novell emulator - Suse

This is a discussion on Novell emulator - Suse ; quando lancio l'emulatore 'marsnwe' mi da questo messaggio : Linux:~ # rcnwe start starting Netware Emulation marsnwe failed -> Loading IPX: insmod: can't read '-k': No such file or directory failed *************** inizio file nwe ******************** #! /bin/sh # Copyright ...

  1. Novell emulator

    quando lancio l'emulatore 'marsnwe' mi da questo messaggio :

    Linux:~ # rcnwe start
    starting Netware Emulation marsnwe
    failed

    *************** inizio file nwe ********************
    #! /bin/sh
    # Copyright (c) 1995-2001 SuSE GmbH Nuernberg, Germany
    #
    # Author: Frank Bodammer
    #
    # init.d/nwe
    #
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: nwe
    # Required-Start: $network $remote_fs $syslog
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start: 3 5
    # Default-Stop:
    ### END INIT INFO
    .. /etc/rc.status
    NWSERV_BIN=/usr/sbin/nwserv
    NWSERV_PID=/var/run/nwserv.pid
    NWSERV_CONF=/etc/nwserv.conf
    if [ ! -x $NWSERV_BIN ] ; then
    echo -n "marsnwe not installed ! "
    exit 5
    fi
    rc_reset
    RC_OPTIONS='-v'
    case "$1" in
    start)
    echo -n "Starting NetWare Emulation marsnwe "
    checkproc $NWSERV_BIN
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo -n "- Warning: already running ! "
    else
    [ -e $NWSERV_PID ] && echo -n "- $NWSERV_PID exists ! "
    fi
    if [ ! -f /proc/net/ipx ] ; then
    echo -ne "\n -> Loading IPX: "
    insmod -k ipx || rc_failed 1
    sleep 1
    rc_status -v1 -r
    RC_OPTIONS='-v2'
    fi
    if [ -f /proc/net/ipx ] ; then
    startproc -q $NWSERV_BIN
    else
    rc_failed 1
    fi
    rc_status $RC_OPTIONS
    ;;
    stop)
    echo -n "Shutting down NetWare Emulation "
    if checkproc $NWSERV_BIN ; then
    $NWSERV_BIN -kq
    sleep 2
    if [ -e $NWSERV_PID ] ; then
    echo -n "- wait a minute "
    i=20
    while [ -e $NWSERV_PID ] && [ $i -gt 0 ] ; do
    sleep 2
    i=$[$i-1]
    echo -n "."
    done
    fi
    if checkproc $NWSERV_BIN ; then
    killproc -G -TERM $NWSERV_BIN
    echo -ne "\n -> !!! Warning: nwserv killed !!! "
    fi
    else
    echo -n "- Warning: nwserv not running ! "
    rc_failed 7
    fi
    rc_status -v
    ;;
    try-restart)
    $0 stop && $0 start
    rc_status
    ;;
    restart)
    $0 stop
    $0 start
    rc_status
    ;;
    force-reload)
    $0 stop && $0 start
    rc_status
    ;;
    reload)
    echo -n "NetWare Emulation marsnwe: Reload not supported ! "
    rc_failed 3
    rc_status -v
    ;;
    status)
    echo -n "Checking for NetWare Emulation marsnwe "
    checkproc $NWSERV_BIN
    rc_status -v
    ;;
    probe)
    test $NWSERV_CONF -nt $NWSERV_PID && echo restart
    ;;
    *)
    echo "Usage: $0
    {start|stop|status|try-restart|restart|force-reload|reload|probe}"
    exit 1
    ;;
    esac
    rc_exit

    *************** fine file nwe *********************

    che cosa ci puo essere che non funziona ?
    grazie
    Stefano

  2. Re: Novell emulator

    On Jun 29, 12:41 pm, "HTEsrl" wrote:
    > quando lancio l'emulatore 'marsnwe' mi da questo messaggio :
    >
    > Linux:~ # rcnwe start
    > starting Netware Emulation marsnwe
    > failed
    >
    > *************** inizio file nwe ********************
    > #! /bin/sh
    > # Copyright (c) 1995-2001 SuSE GmbH Nuernberg, Germany
    > #
    > # Author: Frank Bodammer
    > #
    > # init.d/nwe
    > #
    > ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    > # Provides: nwe
    > # Required-Start: $network $remote_fs $syslog
    > # Required-Stop:
    > # Default-Start: 3 5
    > # Default-Stop:
    > ### END INIT INFO

    snip

    > echo -ne "\n -> Loading IPX: "
    > insmod -k ipx || rc_failed 1
    > sleep 1
    > rc_status -v1 -r
    > RC_OPTIONS='-v2'
    > fi
    > if [ -f /proc/net/ipx ] ; then
    > startproc -q $NWSERV_BIN
    > else
    > rc_failed 1
    > fi
    > rc_status $RC_OPTIONS
    > ;;

    snip

    > *************** fine file nwe *********************
    >
    > che cosa ci puo essere che non funziona ?
    > grazie
    > Stefano

    Looking at 'man insmod', there are no options defined. Usage is
    insmod [filename] [module options ...]

    The BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY section also says:
    This version of insmod is for kernels 2.5.48 and above.

    The Copyright line in the script says 1995-2001 so I'd guess that this
    script was written for an older version of insmod, one that handled
    kernels up to 2.4.x.

    What do to?
    - remove the '-k' option and see what happens
    - replace 'insmod -k' by 'modprobe' and see what happens
    - try and find a newer version of that script.

  3. Re: Novell emulator

    ---------- same answer : can't read 'ipx'
    > - replace 'insmod -k' by 'modprobe' and see what happens ---------

    nothing happens , no errors , emulator failed
    > - try and find a newer version of that

    --------- i search now ....

    in '/proc/net/ipx '
    doesn't exist directory or file named 'ipx'
    and all files in this directory are at 0(zero) bytes.

    many thanks
    stefano

  4. Re: Novell emulator

    insmod (or modprobe) will be loading
    /lib/modules/2.6.16.27-0.9-default/kernel/net/ipx/ipx.ko
    (obviously the 2.6.whatever bit varies with your kernel level)

    /proc/net/ipx is a directory where you expect to find information
    about your ipx connections, mine (created by 'modprobe ipx') contains
    3 pseudo-files: interface, route and socket. If /proc/net/ipx even
    exists then it looks like the module loaded.

    I can't really help more than that because I have not tried using
    Linux with ipx for around 4-5 years now and it did not work for me
    then. The problem back then was that mars supported level 4 and the
    customer was running Netware level 5. I have no idea what has
    happened since then.

    Looking at file:/usr/share/doc/howto/en/html/IPX-HOWTO-1.html I see
    that the support was substantially written by Greg Page working for
    Caldera (now known as SCO) and still only covers Netware levels 3 and
    4. I suspect you will have a serious problem trying to get it to work
    with Netware 5. I don't know where Greg Page works nowadays but the
    chances of getting something helpful from SCO are . . . now :-)

+ Reply to Thread