Anjuta2.2 - Suse

This is a discussion on Anjuta2.2 - Suse ; I noticed that Anjuta has a new release out - 2.2, but none of the openSUSE10.2 repo's have it. Has anyone had any luck installing it? I have downloaded all the libraries that the homepage said are dependencies, and am ...

  1. Anjuta2.2

    I noticed that Anjuta has a new release out - 2.2, but none of the
    openSUSE10.2 repo's have it.

    Has anyone had any luck installing it?

    I have downloaded all the libraries that the homepage said are
    dependencies, and am in the process of compiling them. After I compile
    - I will do a "checkinstall" to generate RPM packages, and see if it
    installs on my system.

    If it works - I would like to share. If it doesn't - does anyone have
    any pointers?

  2. Re: Anjuta2.2

    Skippyboy wrote:
    > After I compile - I will do a "checkinstall" to generate RPM packages,
    > and see if it installs on my system.
    >
    > If it works - I would like to share. If it doesn't - does anyone have
    > any pointers?

    remember that checkinstall is very good, as long as it is on your own
    system. Put up a warning that you made it with cheackinstall and that it
    might not work on another system.

    Small programs most likely won't be a problem. More complex ones might.

    As for pointers. The obvious one is if it is worthwile the trouble of
    going to that version (Might well be, as the version I get with pin is
    1.2

    The second pointer is that we can try to help the moment things go
    wrong. We are good, yet exept perhaps David Bolt, nobody has a working
    crystal ball.

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit

  3. Re: Anjuta2.2

    On Jun 28, 3:04 pm, houghi wrote:
    > Skippyboy wrote:
    > > After I compile - I will do a "checkinstall" to generate RPM packages,
    > > and see if it installs on my system.

    > > If it works - I would like to share. If it doesn't - does anyone have
    > > any pointers?

    > remember that checkinstall is very good, as long as it is on your own
    > system. Put up a warning that you made it with cheackinstall and that it
    > might not work on another system.
    >
    > Small programs most likely won't be a problem. More complex ones might.
    >
    > As for pointers. The obvious one is if it is worthwile the trouble of
    > going to that version (Might well be, as the version I get with pin is
    > 1.2
    >
    > The second pointer is that we can try to help the moment things go
    > wrong. We are good, yet exept perhaps David Bolt, nobody has a working
    > crystal ball.
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    > theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit
    > of wallowing in the troubles of five billion strangers. -- Heinlein

    Well - I don't know what might have gone wrong. I was able to
    successfully get all the dependencies, then run ./configure on every
    one, run make, then make install - then checkinstall on every package
    (just to create the RPMS).

    However - something didn't work correctly. The window that opens is
    basically a big gray box with a very limited menu, and no options to
    open or start projects. No errors, no warnings - just a box.

    (sigh) What a lot of work for limited results. I guess I will wait to
    see if an "Official" rpm package will come out soon.

    I wish I knew more about building rpm's. I guess that is one more back-
    burner project I will work on soon. Right now - I am trying to master
    the art of makefiles... :-)

  4. Re: Anjuta2.2

    Skippyboy wrote:
    > Well - I don't know what might have gone wrong. I was able to
    > successfully get all the dependencies, then run ./configure on every
    > one, run make, then make install - then checkinstall on every package
    > (just to create the RPMS).

    Uh, if you do checkinstall, then you don't need `make install` and the
    other way around. checkinstall did just made the RPM and that is not hat
    we are talking about.

    Normaly there is some `./configure test` or `make test` to see if all is
    well.

    > However - something didn't work correctly. The window that opens is
    > basically a big gray box with a very limited menu, and no options to
    > open or start projects. No errors, no warnings - just a box.

    Perhaps that is what it supposed to do. All the things you see in
    pre-compiled versions might be addons. e.g. when you standard compile
    vim, all you get is a CLI editor, yet with some extra parameters, it
    will make gvim as well, which is a GUI version.

    Could be that that happens as well. What does the README and INSTALL
    told you (you have read them, ruight?)

    > (sigh) What a lot of work for limited results. I guess I will wait to
    > see if an "Official" rpm package will come out soon.

    You could try one of the versions you can find with
    http://rpm.pbone.net/ or http://rpmfind.net. Perhaps not a native
    openSUSE one, but I have worked with rpm's for other distributions.

    > I wish I knew more about building rpm's. I guess that is one more back-
    > burner project I will work on soon. Right now - I am trying to master
    > the art of makefiles... :-)

    As you did not used the rpm, nothing happend. Also it is wiser to first
    be able to compile, before you are able to package. You could even try
    the build servcie. :-D

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit
    of wallowing in the troubles of five billion strangers. -- Heinlein

  5. Re: Anjuta2.2

    > Normaly there is some `./configure test` or `make test` to see if all is
    > well.

    Running the ./configure test showed no problems. (Well - except when
    there were unmet dependencies - which I dutifully downloaded/installed
    and re-ran the original package ./configure)

    > > However - something didn't work correctly. The window that opens is
    > > basically a big gray box with a very limited menu, and no options to
    > > open or start projects. No errors, no warnings - just a box.

    > Perhaps that is what it supposed to do. All the things you see in
    > pre-compiled versions might be addons. e.g. when you standard compile
    > vim, all you get is a CLI editor, yet with some extra parameters, it
    > will make gvim as well, which is a GUI version.

    Anjuta 1.2.4 is a VERY complete IDE for C/C++ so I would hope that a
    version2 release would at least have the menu option to open a
    project. However - you may be right about compiling with CLI options -
    I didn't do that, and honestly after fiddling with it for a few hours
    I had to get back to my real job.

    > Could be that that happens as well. What does the README and INSTALL
    > told you (you have read them, ruight?)

    You actually mean RTFM? Does that ever work?

    > > (sigh) What a lot of work for limited results. I guess I will wait to
    > > see if an "Official" rpm package will come out soon.

    > You could try one of the versions you can find withhttp://rpm.pbone.net/orhttp://rpmfind.net. Perhaps not a native
    > openSUSE one, but I have worked with rpm's for other distributions.
    >
    > > I wish I knew more about building rpm's. I guess that is one more back-
    > > burner project I will work on soon. Right now - I am trying to master
    > > the art of makefiles... :-)

    I tried the Fedora version later in the evening, but it had unmet
    dependencies, so in true American fashion - I became frustrated,
    opened a bag of chips, popped a beer, and watched TV.

    > As you did not used the rpm, nothing happend. Also it is wiser to first
    > be able to compile, before you are able to package. You could even try
    > the build servcie. :-D

    Not sure what the build service is. As I said - my knowledge of RPM's
    thus far is that I click, system asks for password, and program
    installs. I will learn more - eventually...

    Thanks for the suggestions Houghi, but I think I will take the advice
    of one of your signatures I have seen posted. "You tried and failed.
    The lesson here is to never try." --Homer Simpson

  6. Re: Anjuta2.2

    > Not sure what the build service is. As I said - my knowledge of RPM's
    > thus far is that I click, system asks for password, and program
    > installs. I will learn more - eventually...

    Ok - I found out what a build service is. Google is my friend. Still -
    there is no version of Anjuta2.2 in the build service repos...(I
    actually found them from the openSUSE.org website.)

  7. Re: Anjuta2.2

    Skippyboy wrote:
    >> As you did not used the rpm, nothing happend. Also it is wiser to first
    >> be able to compile, before you are able to package. You could even try
    >> the build servcie. :-D
    >>

    > Not sure what the build service is. As I said - my knowledge of RPM's
    > thus far is that I click, system asks for password, and program
    > installs. I will learn more - eventually...

    The build service is a service where you can maintain sources that
    will/can then be placed into repositories and/or the official version or
    whatever and is a Novell project. build.opensuse.org

    houghi
    --
    Microsoft says, "Where do you want to go today?"
    Apple says, "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"

  8. Re: Anjuta2.2

    Skippyboy wrote:
    > Ok - I found out what a build service is. Google is my friend. Still -
    > there is no version of Anjuta2.2 in the build service repos...(I
    > actually found them from the openSUSE.org website.)

    Well, my idea was that YOU would put it in the build service. :-p

    houghi
    --
    Microsoft says, "Where do you want to go today?"
    Apple says, "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
    FOSS says, "Are you coming, or what?"

  9. Re: Anjuta2.2

    > Well, my idea was that YOU would put it in the build service. :-p
    >
    > houghi

    Oh no... Nobody is gonna blame me for that unless it's done right. :-)

    That was why I was using checkinstall also. Just in case it did work -
    I would have sent in the packages.

    Well - I will continue on using Anjuta1.2.4 . It really is pretty nice
    for C/C++ work. I just wanted to see the new features - but will wait
    on someone smarter than me to build the rpm.

  10. Re: Anjuta2.2

    Skippyboy wrote:

    >> Well, my idea was that YOU would put it in the build service. :-p
    >>
    >> houghi
    >>

    > Oh no... Nobody is gonna blame me for that unless it's done right. :-)
    >
    > That was why I was using checkinstall also. Just in case it did work -
    > I would have sent in the packages.

    You can not send in RPM packages. What the build service does is us the
    sourcecode and build the RPM. http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service says:
    It provides software developers with a tool to compile, release and
    publish their software for the broad user audience, including creation
    of their own Linux distribution based on openSUSE for various hardware
    architectures.

    houghi
    --
    They say pesticides have been linked to low sperm counts.
    In my opinion if you have bugs down there that are so bad

  11. Re: Anjuta2.2

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 20:52:37 +0000, Skippyboy wrote:

    > Well - I don't know what might have gone wrong. I was able to
    > successfully get all the dependencies, then run ./configure on every one,
    > run make, then make install - then checkinstall on every package (just to
    > create the RPMS).

    > However - something didn't work correctly. The window that opens is
    > basically a big gray box with a very limited menu, and no options to open
    > or start projects. No errors, no warnings - just a box.

    Did you check your options before running ./configure ?

    Several of these have numerous options not all of which are turned on
    by accepting the defaults.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  12. Re: Anjuta2.2

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:40:38 +0000, Skippyboy wrote:

    > Not sure what the build service is. As I said - my knowledge of RPM's
    > thus far is that I click, system asks for password, and program
    > installs. I will learn more - eventually...

    Actually you are learning to compile from source. The part about
    building the RPM is just about combining the binaries you just built so
    it could be run through the RPM (RedHat Package Manager) installation
    and tracking system.

    Right after I run make I often run the app right where it sits before
    installing. More complex packages require a bit more work to do that
    test but my point is after make the "package" is "built". Running
    checkinstall repackages it as a rpm.

    Now you can save that rpm once finished or whatever. Say you burn it to
    CD. And you upgrade Suse. Now you might just try to use the rpm you
    already built rather than building it again if no prebuilt Suse package
    exists.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

+ Reply to Thread