Divers for USB devices, audio and other - Suse

This is a discussion on Divers for USB devices, audio and other - Suse ; Apparently, Windows, without any added drivers from 2K up, are able to work with audio and other devices plugged into USB. Most manufacturers just laugh when you ask about a driver. Some of the newer devices are coming with MAC ...

  1. Divers for USB devices, audio and other

    Apparently, Windows, without any added drivers from 2K up, are able to work
    with audio and other devices plugged into USB. Most manufacturers just
    laugh when you ask about a driver.

    Some of the newer devices are coming with MAC OSX drivers, but OSX is BSD,
    not Linux so the binary drivers will not run on Linux.

    A reason to switch to BSD?

    Anyone got a clue how to make them work with Linux, given that they don't
    have to make source available? Anybody doing a wine equivelent for BSD
    binaries?

    Thanks, John

  2. Re: Divers for USB devices, audio and other

    Hi!

    John Bowling wrote:

    > Apparently, Windows, without any added drivers from 2K up, are able to
    > work
    > with audio and other devices plugged into USB. Most manufacturers just
    > laugh when you ask about a driver.

    Which devices do you refer to? All usb-audio I purchased works
    out-of-the-box, e.g. Logitech headset, because it sticks to the usb-audio
    standards.

    Maybe you should purchase from a manufacturer who supplies working hardware
    in the first place.

    Sven

  3. Re: Divers for USB devices, audio and other

    On 2007-06-28, Sven Burmeister wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > John Bowling wrote:
    >
    >> Apparently, Windows, without any added drivers from 2K up, are able to
    >> work
    >> with audio and other devices plugged into USB. Most manufacturers just
    >> laugh when you ask about a driver.

    > Which devices do you refer to? All usb-audio I purchased works
    > out-of-the-box, e.g. Logitech headset, because it sticks to the usb-audio
    > standards.
    >
    > Maybe you should purchase from a manufacturer who supplies working hardware
    > in the first place.
    >
    > Sven

    My Kensington trackball works with usb & the BTC usb keyboard also work
    with linux without any special drivers; just needed to set the keyboard &
    trackball to use usb.

    Only "problem" is there isn't any software app to utilize the "special
    features" of the keygoard & trackball/mouse; not a downside as it is
    software & "NOT a driver" problem. Don't much use the special features
    for either the keyboard or trackball in winxp at all....

  4. Re: Divers for USB devices, audio and other

    Sven Burmeister wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > John Bowling wrote:
    >
    >> Apparently, Windows, without any added drivers from 2K up, are able to
    >> work
    >> with audio and other devices plugged into USB. Most manufacturers just
    >> laugh when you ask about a driver.

    > Which devices do you refer to? All usb-audio I purchased works
    > out-of-the-box, e.g. Logitech headset, because it sticks to the usb-audio
    > standards.
    >
    > Maybe you should purchase from a manufacturer who supplies working
    > hardware in the first place.
    >
    > Sven

    I have a small speaker/mic usb combo with noise reduction that works for
    skype on Win - That was the manufacturer that said they would not even
    consider a Linux driver. I've looked for similar devices and have not yet
    found one where the manufacturer supports Linux. Yes, head sets work, but
    that isn't useful for a several people conference, and having it hanging on
    your head for a few hours is very uncomfortable.

    One area I'm looking at is with an older Compaq Aramada 1560DM - with no usb
    or lan, and adding them by way of the pcmcia as PCMCIA > UBS, USB > LAN
    [WiFi prefered]. I could do PCMCIA direct to WiFi, but it would be handy
    to use the WiFi dongle on my desktop systems. It currently has Win 98 on
    it that I will wipe to install Linux. Sort of useless with no method of
    data/file transfers. Just like I don't do Windows, I don't do modems!

    Thanks, John

  5. Re: Divers for USB devices, audio and other

    > I have a small speaker/mic usb combo with noise reduction that works for
    > skype on Win - That was the manufacturer that said they would not even
    > consider a Linux driver. I've looked for similar devices and have not yet
    > found one where the manufacturer supports Linux. Yes, head sets work, but
    > that isn't useful for a several people conference, and having it hanging
    > on your head for a few hours is very uncomfortable.

    My Logitech headset with big and soft earparts, if that is the right word,
    works quite well for a long time. Maybe the follwoing site helps you find
    the right supplier for your needs:

    http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/

    Sven

  6. Re: Divers for USB devices, audio and other

    On Jun 28, 3:11 pm, Sven Burmeister
    wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > John Bowling wrote:
    > > Apparently, Windows, without any added drivers from 2K up, are able to
    > > work
    > > with audio and other devices plugged into USB. Most manufacturers just
    > > laugh when you ask about a driver.

    > Which devices do you refer to? All usb-audio I purchased works
    > out-of-the-box, e.g. Logitech headset, because it sticks to the usb-audio
    > standards.
    >
    > Maybe you should purchase from a manufacturer who supplies working hardware
    > in the first place.
    >
    > Sven

    Totally agree.

    As far as multi-media support under Linux goes, I found Mandriva to be
    very good, a few notches better than SuSE. Overall, there is little
    Linux can not do - it is just a matter of finding the rights
    libraries, drivers, etc.

+ Reply to Thread