RAM Usage - Suse

This is a discussion on RAM Usage - Suse ; I just found a system monitor utility and I was surprised at the amount of RAM that SuSE 10.0 uses up from a reboot. I have 944MB and it told me I had 144MB free. Is this kind of usage ...

  1. RAM Usage

    I just found a system monitor utility and I was surprised at the amount of
    RAM that SuSE 10.0 uses up from a reboot. I have 944MB and it told me I had
    144MB free. Is this kind of usage normal?
    Right now all I have running is Kontact and a couple applets and I have 28MB
    free.
    Also I have practically now swap being used, 12 MB, usually it is at 0.

    thank you for your help.
    --
    Running SuSE 10.0 KDE 3.4.2 x86_64

  2. Re: RAM Usage

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:27:05 -0400, Mike wrote:

    > I just found a system monitor utility and I was surprised at the amount
    > of
    > RAM that SuSE 10.0 uses up from a reboot. I have 944MB and it told me I
    > had
    > 144MB free. Is this kind of usage normal?
    > Right now all I have running is Kontact and a couple applets and I have
    > 28MB
    > free.
    > Also I have practically now swap being used, 12 MB, usually it is at 0.
    >
    > thank you for your help.

    yes, look at the distribution of your memory with "free"
    then this site
    http://sourcefrog.net/weblog/softwar.../free-mem.html

    --
    OpenSuse 10.2 x64, KDE 3.5, Opera 9.x weekly

  3. Re: RAM Usage

    Mike wrote:
    > I just found a system monitor utility and I was surprised at the amount of
    > RAM that SuSE 10.0 uses up from a reboot. I have 944MB and it told me I had
    > 144MB free. Is this kind of usage normal?

    Yes, it is. Linux uses what you have as efficiently as possible. Why
    have memory and NOT use it?

    > Right now all I have running is Kontact and a couple applets and I have 28MB
    > free.
    > Also I have practically now swap being used, 12 MB, usually it is at 0.

    Swap is also something that gets used when needed for some things.

    Both will fill up when needed and only when agian needed it will remove
    the old content. It is a bit more complicated then that, but it is
    basicaly how it works.

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit

  4. Re: RAM Usage

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:27:05 -0400, Mike wrote:

    > I just found a system monitor utility and I was surprised at the amount of
    > RAM that SuSE 10.0 uses up from a reboot. I have 944MB and it told me I had
    > 144MB free. Is this kind of usage normal?
    > Right now all I have running is Kontact and a couple applets and I have 28MB
    > free.
    > Also I have practically now swap being used, 12 MB, usually it is at 0.
    >
    > thank you for your help.

    A lot of memory is used as 'buffer' and 'cache' - it is available when
    needed.

  5. Re: RAM Usage

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:27:05 -0400, Mike wrote:

    > I just found a system monitor utility and I was surprised at the amount of
    > RAM that SuSE 10.0 uses up from a reboot. I have 944MB and it told me I
    > had 144MB free. Is this kind of usage normal? Right now all I have running
    > is Kontact and a couple applets and I have 28MB free.
    > Also I have practically now swap being used, 12 MB, usually it is at 0.

    Sometimes apps have memory leaks or orphaned apps continue to hang on to
    memory. You can chase them down but I find it easier just to reboot on a
    time or two a day.

    It's really not a serious problem unless your HD starts "thrashing"
    because it's run out of RAM and swap both. I've heard of that happening
    but it's never happened to me.

    Useful are...

    top
    free
    gkrellm (GUI app)
    ps aux | less

    Mozilla has been notorious for having memory leaks and some of those
    stupid Flash things really eat up RAM.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  6. Re: RAM Usage

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 15:55:55 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:27:05 -0400, Mike wrote:
    >
    >> I just found a system monitor utility and I was surprised at the amount of
    >> RAM that SuSE 10.0 uses up from a reboot. I have 944MB and it told me I
    >> had 144MB free. Is this kind of usage normal? Right now all I have running
    >> is Kontact and a couple applets and I have 28MB free.
    >> Also I have practically now swap being used, 12 MB, usually it is at 0.

    > Sometimes apps have memory leaks or orphaned apps continue to hang on to
    > memory. You can chase them down but I find it easier just to reboot on a
    > time or two a day.
    >
    > It's really not a serious problem unless your HD starts "thrashing"
    > because it's run out of RAM and swap both. I've heard of that happening
    > but it's never happened to me.

    Having unused RAM is like buying a Ferrari and driving it 20 miles per
    hour.

    Testy

    --
    Become more Balanced www.shapeyourworld.ca

  7. Re: RAM Usage

    Testy wrote:
    > Having unused RAM is like buying a Ferrari and driving it 20 miles per
    > hour.

    You can pick up chicks with unused RAM on a friday evening? wL!!11!1

    houghi
    --
    Remind me to write an article on the compulsive reading of news. The
    theme will be that most neuroses can be traced to the unhealthy habit
    of wallowing in the troubles of five billion strangers. -- Heinlein

  8. Re: RAM Usage

    On 2007-06-28, houghi wrote:

    >> Having unused RAM is like buying a Ferrari and driving it 20 miles per
    >> hour.

    > You can pick up chicks with unused RAM on a friday evening? wL!!11!1

    Nope.
    But then, neighter can yo with a Ferrari. No room to put them.

    I'd suggest a double-decker bus, myself.
    Lots of space for all kind of activities.
    (starting a LAN party, an install fest, etc...)

    Douglas Adams

  9. Re: RAM Usage

    Mike wrote:

    > I just found a system monitor utility and I was surprised at the amount of
    > RAM that SuSE 10.0 uses up from a reboot. I have 944MB and it told me I
    > had 144MB free. Is this kind of usage normal?
    > Right now all I have running is Kontact and a couple applets and I have
    > 28MB free.
    > Also I have practically now swap being used, 12 MB, usually it is at 0.
    >
    > thank you for your help.

    With the command free you will see a large amount at cached.
    Think you don't need to worry, when you need the memory it will be taken
    from there.

    When you have 944 MB of ram, your swap will not be used very often.

    Gert

+ Reply to Thread