suse vmware tools install problem - Suse

This is a discussion on suse vmware tools install problem - Suse ; hallo,guys I have installed vmware tools with the rpm packages.My host computer runs windows and I have install a suse linux on my host.After the installation of vmware tools , i begin to run vmware-config.pl. it shows the failure says ...

  1. suse vmware tools install problem

    hallo,guys
    I have installed vmware tools with the rpm packages.My host computer
    runs windows and I have install a suse linux on my host.After the
    installation of vmware tools , i begin to run vmware-config.pl.
    it shows the failure says that the head files of linux kernel can not
    be found or no suitable kernel headers for my distribution. the path
    is /usr/src/linux/include.I have installed all the packages all about
    the kernel ,kernel source and linux kernal headers

    so what is the problem? any one help me?

    thanks

  2. Re: suse vmware tools install problem

    heinz wrote:

    > hallo,guys
    > I have installed vmware tools with the rpm packages.My host computer
    > runs windows and I have install a suse linux on my host.After the
    > installation of vmware tools , i begin to run vmware-config.pl.
    > it shows the failure says that the head files of linux kernel can not
    > be found or no suitable kernel headers for my distribution. the path
    > is /usr/src/linux/include.I have installed all the packages all about
    > the kernel ,kernel source and linux kernal headers
    >
    > so what is the problem? any one help me?
    >
    > thanks

    You didn't say which kernel/suse version, but I assume it's a 2.6 kernel.
    Move into /usr/src/linux as root
    execute:
    make cloneconfig
    make modules_prepare

    and again vmware-config.pl
    If you've still problems with compiling the videodriver module find the
    vmware-any-any perl script on internet (some east european country). That's
    the way how I got the old vmware distribution to run on my suse machines. I
    now run the vmplayer with my old files on a 64 bit box which runs without
    any tweaks.
    taco

  3. Re: suse vmware tools install problem

    TW wrote:

    > heinz wrote:
    >
    >> hallo,guys
    >> I have installed vmware tools with the rpm packages.My host computer
    >> runs windows and I have install a suse linux on my host.After the
    >> installation of vmware tools , i begin to run vmware-config.pl.
    >> it shows the failure says that the head files of linux kernel can not
    >> be found or no suitable kernel headers for my distribution. the path
    >> is /usr/src/linux/include.I have installed all the packages all about
    >> the kernel ,kernel source and linux kernal headers
    >>
    >> so what is the problem? any one help me?
    >>
    >> thanks

    > You didn't say which kernel/suse version, but I assume it's a 2.6 kernel.
    > Move into /usr/src/linux as root
    > execute:
    > make cloneconfig
    > make modules_prepare
    >
    > and again vmware-config.pl
    > If you've still problems with compiling the videodriver module find the
    > vmware-any-any perl script on internet (some east european country).
    > That's the way how I got the old vmware distribution to run on my suse
    > machines. I now run the vmplayer with my old files on a 64 bit box which
    > runs without any tweaks.
    > taco

    The link is here:

    http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/

    and the latest update is:

    vmware-any-any-update109.tar.gz

    These are the notes I made for myself (might be of use to you):

    VMware installation

    If you forgot to install the sources to start with, do it now. If you do
    this afterwards you need to tell vmware-config where the include files are:

    /usr/src/linux-2.6.13-15.7-include/default/include
    (YMMV)

    1.Become root

    2.remove vmnet and vmmon modules (if running) otherwise runme.pl
    refuses;vmware-config.pl does run, however – stops vmmon and vmnet itself.

    3.rpm -e VMwareWorkstation (if necessary)

    4.Go to vmware directory and do:

    rpm -Uhv Vmware-workstation-4.5.2-8848.i386.rpm

    5.Go to /usr/src/linux and do:

    make clean
    make mrproper
    make cloneconfig
    make modules_prepare

    6.Go to directory containing latest vmware update

    (vmware-any-any-updateXX.tar.gz already untarred) and do:

    ../runme.pl

    Say yes to overwrite vmmon.tar and vmnet.tar and yes to run vmware-config.pl

    7.Edit /etc/vmware/vmnet1/smb/smb.config (printer path = /tmp)

    8.Make sure Samba is not installed - stuffs VM host-only networking if it
    (may not be necessary in your case...)

    9.exit from root before running Vmware!

    NB: May have to shut down and restart V Machine if you forget step 8.

    After a kernel update!

    1.Step 5 above
    2.run vmware-config.pl
    3.Step 7 above.

    --
    Les
    Posted exclusively to the alt.os.linux.suse newsgroup on Usenet

+ Reply to Thread