Fault with view TIFs with Gwenview over NFS. - Suse

This is a discussion on Fault with view TIFs with Gwenview over NFS. - Suse ; SuSE 10.1 client KDE and Gwenview launched from Konqueror SuSE 9.3 server - NFS data store for client machine An interesting fault I am trying to fathom the reason for.. I scan and then throwout all of my important paper ...

  1. Fault with view TIFs with Gwenview over NFS.

    SuSE 10.1 client KDE and Gwenview launched from Konqueror
    SuSE 9.3 server - NFS data store for client machine

    An interesting fault I am trying to fathom the reason for..

    I scan and then throwout all of my important paper docs, statements
    invoices etc. They are stored as G4 tifs on the NFS server.

    If I view these using Gwenview launched from KDE from the client machine
    and then step through the files one at a time it stalls on the 3rd one,
    then will pickup the 4th one okay. Reversing back to the 3rd file stalls
    again. It's as if it locks the file before it tries to open it.

    The fault doesn't appear if I try to view on the client HDD.

    The fault doesn't appear if I step through GIF or PNG files.

    The fault appears with colour TIF files as well (ie with compression -
    non G4)

    The fault is replicated if I launch Gwenview separately.

    I cant see it as a NFS fault as such since it opens other file types
    with Gwenview, Kaffeine OOo etc. The mount details are tcp with
    wsize/rsize 8192. I am using automount.

    This fault has been with the setup here since I installed 10.1 maybe 12
    months ago. I use to use KwikShow under 9.3 without fault.

    I haven't tried real hard to search for answers on this. I would however
    appreciate any thoughts on the issue. It would be nice to be able to fix
    it without major KDE or OS upgrades.

    Tnxs Bob

  2. Re: Fault with view TIFs with Gwenview over NFS.

    Bob Bob wrote:

    > SuSE 10.1 client KDE and Gwenview launched from Konqueror
    > SuSE 9.3 server - NFS data store for client machine
    >
    > An interesting fault I am trying to fathom the reason for..
    >
    > I scan and then throwout all of my important paper docs, statements
    > invoices etc. They are stored as G4 tifs on the NFS server.
    >
    > If I view these using Gwenview launched from KDE from the client machine
    > and then step through the files one at a time it stalls on the 3rd one,
    > then will pickup the 4th one okay. Reversing back to the 3rd file stalls
    > again. It's as if it locks the file before it tries to open it.
    >
    > The fault doesn't appear if I try to view on the client HDD.
    >
    > The fault doesn't appear if I step through GIF or PNG files.
    >
    > The fault appears with colour TIF files as well (ie with compression -
    > non G4)
    >
    > The fault is replicated if I launch Gwenview separately.
    >
    > I cant see it as a NFS fault as such since it opens other file types
    > with Gwenview, Kaffeine OOo etc. The mount details are tcp with
    > wsize/rsize 8192. I am using automount.
    >
    > This fault has been with the setup here since I installed 10.1 maybe 12
    > months ago. I use to use KwikShow under 9.3 without fault.
    >
    > I haven't tried real hard to search for answers on this. I would however
    > appreciate any thoughts on the issue. It would be nice to be able to fix
    > it without major KDE or OS upgrades.
    >
    > Tnxs Bob

    no problem here over NFS & tif
    openSUSE 10.2
    KDE 3.5.7
    Gwenview 1.4.1-50.2
    NFS client 2.14-0.4 ---> bg,soft options
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: Fault with view TIFs with Gwenview over NFS.

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Bob Bob wrote:-

    >This fault has been with the setup here since I installed 10.1 maybe 12
    >months ago. I use to use KwikShow under 9.3 without fault.
    >
    >I haven't tried real hard to search for answers on this. I would however
    >appreciate any thoughts on the issue. It would be nice to be able to fix
    >it without major KDE or OS upgrades.

    Have you tried copying the files that won't open onto the local hard
    drive and opening them from there?

    Have you tried opening them on the 9.3 machine?

    How about trying some other viewer?

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  4. Re: Fault with view TIFs with Gwenview over NFS.

    Hi David

    Yup my original post mentioned I tried and succeeded opening them via
    the local HDD. I copied the entire directory of 102 odd files across to
    check this.

    The 9.3 machine is CLI only.

    The problem is more the sequential walk through images. ie the third one
    will hang, the fourth okay, the fifth hangs, back to the third stays
    hung. Irfanview under wine works okay. Gimp happily opens 10 files in
    one hit.

    I downloaded and built Gwenview 3.91 from source (The later version
    require a later KDE). The fault persisted. (Damn!)

    I was thinking that Gwenview maybe calls a sub program to decompress or
    launch tif images. Why it has trouble with the remote filesystem I don't
    know. Maybe it is trying to cache the entire tree but it never displays
    the hung image (for 5 minutes anyway). There is no nfs activity whilst
    hung (nfsstat)

    Could it be locking an image as if for editing then not allowing itself
    to open because it is locked? I tried marking them RO and that didn't
    help. Turned smoothing off - no help. Note that the menu etc is quite
    usable while it is waiting. Like I said some kind of file access issue??

    Tnxs for you thoughts..

    Bob

    David Bolt wrote:

    > Have you tried copying the files that won't open onto the local hard
    > drive and opening them from there?
    >
    > Have you tried opening them on the 9.3 machine?
    >
    > How about trying some other viewer?

  5. Re: Fault with view TIFs with Gwenview over NFS.

    On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 20:02:15 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Bob Bob wrote:-
    >

    >>This fault has been with the setup here since I installed 10.1 maybe 12
    >>months ago. I use to use KwikShow under 9.3 without fault.

    > How about trying some other viewer?

    Like kuickshow ?

  6. Re: Fault with view TIFs with Gwenview over NFS.

    Hi Graham

    Had to dig to find kuickshow... It was in the kde-graphics package.

    The fault doesn't occur with either kuickshow or kview.

    The nice smoothing however that gwenview does is sorely missed on G4 TIFs.

    Bob

    graham wrote:

    > Like kuickshow ?

+ Reply to Thread