*** Info for Linux Init source code *** - Suse

This is a discussion on *** Info for Linux Init source code *** - Suse ; Hi, i would like to know something about the first script executed by kernel, tipically sbin/init. You can find information about format of file etc/inittab and so on, but my question is: are available source codes of Suse sbin/init? if ...

  1. *** Info for Linux Init source code ***

    Hi, i would like to know something about the first script executed by
    kernel, tipically sbin/init. You can find information about format of
    file etc/inittab and so on, but my question is: are available source
    codes of Suse sbin/init? if the answer is negative, are there other
    Linux distributions which include source codes of everything and not
    only of kernel?
    Thank you.

  2. Re: *** Info for Linux Init source code ***

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, BiNo2007 wrote:-

    >Hi, i would like to know something about the first script executed by
    >kernel, tipically sbin/init.

    It can be, but it doesn't have to be. Sometimes it's useful to have the
    kernel load something as a (temporary) replacement for init. Usually,
    the replacement is a shell and to get a shell to start instead of init,
    you'd pass the following option to the kernel:

    init=/bin/bash

    Of course, if you prefer a different shell, you can use that in place of
    bash.

    >You can find information about format of
    >file etc/inittab and so on, but my question is: are available source
    >codes of Suse sbin/init?

    Have you actually looked to see if the source is available?

    >if the answer is negative,

    You haven't looked, have you? I'm betting you haven't.

    >are there other
    >Linux distributions which include source codes of everything and not
    >only of kernel?

    All distributions that include any GPL'd code are to required distribute
    the source of that code, so all of them are going to supply the source
    for /sbin/init as it's GPL'd code. If you look, you'll find it included
    in the package sysvinit. As to where to find the sources, assuming[0]
    that you're looking for the sources for the version supplied with
    openSUSE 10.2, you'll find the full sources by looking here[1]:

    If you're interested in the version used as a part of the development
    version, namely Factory[2], you can find it by looking here:

    [0] It can be a big mistake assuming anything, but I'm feeling in the
    mood to live dangerously tonight.

    [1] I'd have given you the Italian version of that page, but it doesn't
    exist.

    [2] and, at the present moment, openSUSE 10.3 alpha 5.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

+ Reply to Thread