Booting from encrypted disk: Kernel panic (no init found) - Suse

This is a discussion on Booting from encrypted disk: Kernel panic (no init found) - Suse ; Hello, I'm trying to set a fully encrypted server environment with openSUSE 10.2 following the tutorial from the wiki [1]. Everything appears to work just fine until I reboot into the encrypted system which then results in a kernel panic ...

  1. Booting from encrypted disk: Kernel panic (no init found)

    Hello,

    I'm trying to set a fully encrypted server environment with openSUSE
    10.2 following the tutorial from the wiki [1]. Everything appears to
    work just fine until I reboot into the encrypted system which then
    results in a kernel panic ("Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing
    init= option to kernel"). Of course, simply adding init=3 as a parameter
    does nothing.

    Since I did a fresh install following the tutorial precisely, I don't
    really have any idea what might have gone wrong. The only difference I
    can see is that I am installing the system on a software raid.

    I am not sure if this is of any importance, but here is my disk layout:

    hda: 250 GB HDD
    hdb: 250 GB HDD
    hdc: DVD-ROM
    hdd: 80 GB HDD
    sda: 500 GB HDD
    sdb: 500 GB HDD

    hda/hdb are configured as a raid0 but not yet used (i.e. neither
    encrypted nor mounted). hdd is also not yet used.

    sda/sdb are set up as a raid1 and partitioned as follows (no LVM):
    sdx1: 100 MB /boot (md0)
    sdx2: 5 GB / (md1)
    sdx3: 2 GB swap (md2)
    sdx4: 493 GB - (md3)

    So what I did is install openSUSE on md3, create an encrypted file
    system on md1 and copy everything over. I am sure you are all familiar
    with the procedure as outlined in the tutorial.

    I don't have the menu.lst ready atm, but I basically just copied a
    predefined entry and replaced md3 with md1. I can post it tomorrow if
    that would be of any help.

    Any ideas where I screwed up?

    thanks in advance,
    raph

    [1] http://en.opensuse.org/Encrypted_Roo...ith_SUSE_HOWTO

  2. Re: Booting from encrypted disk: Kernel panic (no init found)

    Thanks for your reply. I guess I should've been more explicit.

    During the boot process I am indeed being asked for the pass phrase. It
    is after I entered it that the system continues booting but then
    suddenly halts with the error I mentioned.

    This led me to believe that the decryption process does indeed work, at
    least to some extend :-)

    But again, I followed the tutorial to the letter and and double checked
    everything. So I really don't know what might have gone wrong.

+ Reply to Thread