KDE taskbar disappeared... - Suse

This is a discussion on KDE taskbar disappeared... - Suse ; enviro: openSUSE 10.2, KDE 3.5.7 (freshly and suspiciously installed...) I can run kconfigeditor, but can't find the setting that flips the switch for having the taskbar/toolbar at the bottom of the screen. Thanks for reading......

  1. KDE taskbar disappeared...

    enviro: openSUSE 10.2, KDE 3.5.7 (freshly and suspiciously installed...)

    I can run kconfigeditor, but can't find the setting that flips the switch for having the taskbar/toolbar at the bottom of
    the screen.
    Thanks for reading...

  2. Re: KDE taskbar disappeared...

    just plain rob wrote:

    > enviro: openSUSE 10.2, KDE 3.5.7 (freshly and suspiciously installed...)
    >
    > I can run kconfigeditor, but can't find the setting that flips the switch
    > for having the taskbar/toolbar at the bottom of the screen.
    > Thanks for reading...

    Control Center -> Desktop -> Panels

    might be what you're looking for.

    --
    Les

  3. Re: KDE taskbar disappeared...

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:38:15 +0200, Leslie Danks wrote:

    > just plain rob wrote:
    >
    >> enviro: openSUSE 10.2, KDE 3.5.7 (freshly and suspiciously
    >> installed...)
    >>
    >> I can run kconfigeditor, but can't find the setting that flips the
    >> switch for having the taskbar/toolbar at the bottom of the screen.
    >> Thanks for reading...

    > Control Center -> Desktop -> Panels
    >
    > might be what you're looking for.

    I wish.
    Seems like my update to KDE 3.5.7 twisted a config setting, but I can't figure out which one...

  4. Re: KDE taskbar disappeared...

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:26:57 +0000, just plain rob wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:38:15 +0200, Leslie Danks wrote:
    >
    >> just plain rob wrote:
    >>
    >>> enviro: openSUSE 10.2, KDE 3.5.7 (freshly and suspiciously
    >>> installed...)
    >>>
    >>> I can run kconfigeditor, but can't find the setting that flips the
    >>> switch for having the taskbar/toolbar at the bottom of the screen.
    >>> Thanks for reading...

    >> Control Center -> Desktop -> Panels
    >>
    >> might be what you're looking for.

    > I wish.
    > Seems like my update to KDE 3.5.7 twisted a config setting, but I can't figure out which one...

    Open a terminal, (Alt+F2 for the run command, and konsole for the command)
    then type;

    $ kicker

    Either you'll get the panel, or you'll get a bunch of errors listed, that
    will help identify the underlying problem.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  5. Re: KDE taskbar disappeared...

    On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 01:50:35 -0500, imotgm wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:26:57 +0000, just plain rob wrote:

    >>> Control Center -> Desktop -> Panels
    >>>
    >>> might be what you're looking for.

    >> I wish.
    >> Seems like my update to KDE 3.5.7 twisted a config setting, but I can't
    >> figure out which one...

    > Open a terminal, (Alt+F2 for the run command, and konsole for the
    > command) then type;
    >
    > $ kicker
    >
    > Either you'll get the panel, or you'll get a bunch of errors listed,
    > that will help identify the underlying problem.

    Thanks. That popped it up and I rebooted and it disappeared again.
    This tells me there is a corrupt config file.
    I reinstalled 3.5.7 and after deliberately changing just about every appropriate setting (length of panel, etc., in
    Kcontrol) it finally reappears on boot. Never realized how much I depended on it...

    Cheers,
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread