java problem - Suse

This is a discussion on java problem - Suse ; I have installed suse 10.2 3 times allready and each time its the same also dld java and did independent install,, but java refuses to work with mozilla firefox or konquor Im missing something here hate to have to use ...

  1. java problem

    I have installed suse 10.2 3 times allready and each time its the same also
    dld java and did independent install,, but java refuses to work with mozilla
    firefox or konquor Im missing something here hate to have to use windoze
    just to get to sites that i need java on any ideas

    thank you

  2. Re: java problem

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 01:09:13 +0000, bob wrote:

    > I have installed suse 10.2 3 times allready and each time its the same also
    > dld java and did independent install,, but java refuses to work with mozilla
    > firefox or konquor Im missing something here hate to have to use windoze
    > just to get to sites that i need java on any ideas
    >

    > thank you

    First make sure that java is installed and it's location. If it is not
    installed, install it from the 10.2 disks.
    Go to the mozilla firefox plugin directory and create a link to the java
    location. Do NOT copy java to the plugin directory, it will not work.
    Create a link.
    It should work after creating this link.

    Paul T.

    http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!

  3. Re: java problem

    PH Thorsted wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 01:09:13 +0000, bob wrote:
    >
    >> I have installed suse 10.2 3 times allready and each time its the same also
    >> dld java and did independent install,, but java refuses to work with mozilla
    >> firefox or konquor Im missing something here hate to have to use windoze
    >> just to get to sites that i need java on any ideas
    >>

    >> thank you

    > First make sure that java is installed and it's location. If it is not
    > installed, install it from the 10.2 disks.
    > Go to the mozilla firefox plugin directory and create a link to the java
    > location. Do NOT copy java to the plugin directory, it will not work.
    > Create a link.
    > It should work after creating this link.
    >
    > Paul T.
    >

    > http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!

    That's the method that worked for me. It's brute force and guaranteed,
    but in general, if you install with Yast, it will automagically get
    put where it supposed to go. So that's always the best route. For the
    most oddball titles you may have to configure a repo manually for Yast
    to find the info.

  4. Re: java problem

    bob schrieb:
    > I have installed suse 10.2 3 times allready and each time its the same also
    > dld java and did independent install,, but java refuses to work with mozilla
    > firefox or konquor Im missing something here hate to have to use windoze
    > just to get to sites that i need java on any ideas
    >

    > thank you

    Look at the other posts, but it
    depends also if you have a 32-bit firefox or 64-bit. Even the 64-bit SUSE has a 32-bit firefox.
    If you are not sure, type in the addressline of firefox ""about:buildconfig".

    Ciao

    Karl

  5. Re: java problem

    bob wrote:

    > I have installed suse 10.2 3 times allready and each time its the same
    > also dld java and did independent install,, but java refuses to work with
    > mozilla firefox or konquor Im missing something here hate to have to use
    > windoze just to get to sites that i need java on any ideas
    >

    > thank you

    If you did a 64 bit install of 10.2, Firefox would also be 64 bit.
    Apparently there is not a 64 bit java interpreter that works with Firefox
    (or didn't when I first did a 64 bit version a year ago). I haven't used
    that system with Firefox for a while so there may have been an update to
    fix it. There was a problem with OpenOffice wanting one version of java
    and Firefox wanting another version - and I couldn't install both versions
    at the same time. Perhaps the latest OpenOffice update fixed it.

    My 32 bit system (10.2) works with no problem - Firefox 2.0.0.4 and
    java_1_5_0-sun and java_1_5_0-sun-plugin. I don't remember if the java
    install was by default or had to be added. It also works with OpenOffice.

    John

  6. Re: java problem

    John Bowling schrieb:
    > bob wrote:
    >
    >> I have installed suse 10.2 3 times allready and each time its the same
    >> also dld java and did independent install,, but java refuses to work with
    >> mozilla firefox or konquor Im missing something here hate to have to use
    >> windoze just to get to sites that i need java on any ideas
    >>

    >> thank you

    > If you did a 64 bit install of 10.2, Firefox would also be 64 bit.

    No, that's not true if you do it from the SUSE cds. I made a 64 bit SUSE install and the firefox
    there was 32 bit, which made me a lot of
    problems, since I thought that it was 64 bit. Checked it finally by "about:buildconfig" and found
    that it is 32 bit.

    Ciao

    Karl

  7. Re: java problem

    bob wrote:

    > I have installed suse 10.2 3 times allready and each time its the same
    > also dld java and did independent install,, but java refuses to work with
    > mozilla firefox or konquor Im missing something here hate to have to use
    > windoze just to get to sites that i need java on any ideas

    Did you actually install the java-plugin, or just java?

  8. Re: java problem

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:30:41 +0200, karl wrote:

    > No, that's not true if you do it from the SUSE cds. I made a 64 bit
    > SUSE
    > install and the firefox
    > there was 32 bit, which made me a lot of problems, since I thought that it
    > was 64 bit. Checked it finally by "about:buildconfig" and found that it is
    > 32 bit.

    Try this one out in SeaMonkey.

    about:about

    All of those work in Firefox also except about:about itself (At least
    it's that way on FF 1.5).

    In earlier versions about:about worked in FF also.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

+ Reply to Thread