kmenuedit 10.1 - Suse

This is a discussion on kmenuedit 10.1 - Suse ; I'm running openSuSE 10.1 and having problems editing the KDE menu. The changes show up in the editing program but when I save them they are not in the menu. I've re-logged, rebooted, etc., but nothing seems to help. Any ...

  1. kmenuedit 10.1

    I'm running openSuSE 10.1 and having problems editing the KDE menu. The
    changes show up in the editing program but when I save them they are
    not in the menu. I've re-logged, rebooted, etc., but nothing seems to
    help.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Cheers,
    --
    d.b. cooper
    ========

  2. Re: kmenuedit 10.1

    Jonathan Dlouhy wrote:

    > I'm running openSuSE 10.1 and having problems editing the KDE menu. The
    > changes show up in the editing program but when I save them they are
    > not in the menu. I've re-logged, rebooted, etc., but nothing seems to
    > help.
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,

    could go over to 10.2 or do a repair from installation cd/dvd and see what
    that does.

  3. Re: kmenuedit 10.1

    Jonathan Dlouhy wrote:

    > I'm running openSuSE 10.1 and having problems editing the KDE menu. The
    > changes show up in the editing program but when I save them they are
    > not in the menu. I've re-logged, rebooted, etc., but nothing seems to
    > help.
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,

    owe second what menu are you using kde or opensuse i don't know if 10.1 has
    the new suse menu

  4. Re: kmenuedit 10.1

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:09:49 +0100, darklight wrote:

    > owe second what menu are you using kde or opensuse i don't know if 10.1
    > has the new suse menu

    kmenuedit works fine in 10.1 here w/out having to use any OSuse tool.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  5. Re: kmenuedit 10.1

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:07:20 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:09:49 +0100, darklight wrote:
    >
    >> owe second what menu are you using kde or opensuse i don't know if 10.1
    >> has the new suse menu

    > kmenuedit works fine in 10.1 here w/out having to use any OSuse tool.

    I'm glad it works for you but that information doesn't really help me.
    As I said, I'm running openSuSE 10.1 and editing the menu using
    keditmenu does not result in the changes actually showing up on the
    menu. So, if anyone can help that would be great.

    Thanks,
    --
    d.b. cooper
    ========

  6. Re: kmenuedit 10.1

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:23:09 -0400, "d.b. cooper"
    wrote:

    >I'm glad it works for you but that information doesn't really help me.
    >As I said, I'm running openSuSE 10.1 and editing the menu using
    >keditmenu does not result in the changes actually showing up on the
    >menu. So, if anyone can help that would be great.

    If you create empty folders, KDE will hide them until you put something in
    them. If you edit your menu as root, anything you create will only be seen
    when you are root. Kmenuedit has been so problematic for me, I don't even
    bother anymore. Any link, shortcut, or whatever I need, I put on the
    desktop.

  7. Re: kmenuedit 10.1

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:53:51 -0400, George Peatty wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:23:09 -0400, "d.b. cooper"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm glad it works for you but that information doesn't really help me.
    >>As I said, I'm running openSuSE 10.1 and editing the menu using
    >>keditmenu does not result in the changes actually showing up on the
    >>menu. So, if anyone can help that would be great.

    > If you create empty folders, KDE will hide them until you put something in
    > them. If you edit your menu as root, anything you create will only be seen
    > when you are root. Kmenuedit has been so problematic for me, I don't even
    > bother anymore. Any link, shortcut, or whatever I need, I put on the
    > desktop.

    That's what I've resorted to as well. It works, but it would be nice if
    the menu editing program actually worked.

    -- d.b. cooper
    ========
    oregon

  8. Re: kmenuedit 10.1

    Jonathan Dlouhy wrote:

    > I'm running openSuSE 10.1 and having problems editing the KDE menu. The
    > changes show up in the editing program but when I save them they are
    > not in the menu. I've re-logged, rebooted, etc., but nothing seems to
    > help.
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Can you give us an EXACT example of what you are trying to do?

    If for instance you create a 'Wine Utilities' in the 'Wine' folder and place
    some items under it like 'Icon Tool' and 'Windows reboot' you will not see
    the 'Wine Utilities' folder nor the programs within it. However if you
    create a 'Wine Utilities folder within the 'Wine Utilities' folder and then
    place the two programs under the second folder you would then see in the
    menu something like: Wine with a Wine Utilities subfolder and the two
    programs in that. The first 'Wine Utilities' folder does not show up in
    the menu.

    It is a clumsy work around, but it works for me.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery