ATI - Suse

This is a discussion on ATI - Suse ; HAs any one ran into poor DVD playback using an ATI Mobility 9600. Apparently I need an accelerator. Here is the 3o second tour. Loaded a Compaq/HP nc6400 with 10.2, KDE 3.5.7 (43.1) works great, but choppy DVD playback using ...

  1. ATI

    HAs any one ran into poor DVD playback using an ATI Mobility 9600.
    Apparently I need an accelerator.

    Here is the 3o second tour.

    Loaded a Compaq/HP nc6400 with 10.2, KDE 3.5.7 (43.1) works great,
    but choppy DVD playback using Xine

    Any help would be great

  2. Re: ATI

    Who Cares wrote:

    > HAs any one ran into poor DVD playback using an ATI Mobility 9600.
    > Apparently I need an accelerator.
    >
    > Here is the 3o second tour.
    >
    > Loaded a Compaq/HP nc6400 with 10.2, KDE 3.5.7 (43.1) works great,
    > but choppy DVD playback using Xine
    >
    > Any help would be great

    Would be this what you are looking for?
    http://en.opensuse.org/ATI

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  3. Re: ATI

    On Jun 22, 8:08 pm, "Rajko M." wrote:
    > Who Cares wrote:
    > > HAs any one ran into poor DVD playback using an ATI Mobility 9600.
    > > Apparently I need an accelerator.

    > > Here is the 3o second tour.

    > > Loaded a Compaq/HP nc6400 with 10.2, KDE 3.5.7 (43.1) works great,
    > > but choppy DVD playback using Xine

    > > Any help would be great

    > Would be this what you are looking for?
    > http://en.opensuse.org/ATI
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Rajko.

    Thanks for the hint, but I have been there ..done it

  4. Re: ATI

    Who Cares wrote:
    > HAs any one ran into poor DVD playback using an ATI Mobility 9600.
    > Apparently I need an accelerator.
    >
    > Here is the 3o second tour.
    >
    > Loaded a Compaq/HP nc6400 with 10.2, KDE 3.5.7 (43.1) works great,
    > but choppy DVD playback using Xine
    >
    > Any help would be great

    Try altering your xine settings to use the xshm driver instead
    of using auto. That driver will be with NO acceleration, BUT
    you have more than enough CPU power... don't need acceleration.
    I would be surprised if it didn't work well.

    With that said, it could be that power mgmt is the culprit and
    that your CPU is being dumbed down too much. Try setting
    your performance as high as it will go (disable the frequency
    scaling).

  5. Re: ATI

    On Jun 23, 12:16 am, Chris Cox wrote:
    > Who Cares wrote:
    > > HAs any one ran into poor DVD playback using an ATI Mobility 9600.
    > > Apparently I need an accelerator.

    > > Here is the 3o second tour.

    > > Loaded a Compaq/HP nc6400 with 10.2, KDE 3.5.7 (43.1) works great,
    > > but choppy DVD playback using Xine

    > > Any help would be great

    > Try altering your xine settings to use the xshm driver instead
    > of using auto. That driver will be with NO acceleration, BUT
    > you have more than enough CPU power... don't need acceleration.
    > I would be surprised if it didn't work well.
    >
    > With that said, it could be that power mgmt is the culprit and
    > that your CPU is being dumbed down too much. Try setting
    > your performance as high as it will go (disable the frequency
    > scaling).

    Chris...Your the man! Works perfectly now... Thanks

+ Reply to Thread