Updating apps to most recent version - Suse

This is a discussion on Updating apps to most recent version - Suse ; How do I update the apps on my OpenSuse box to the most recent version? I've got Subversion installed, version 1.4.0. This version is nine months out of date; there have been three major releases since then. If I use ...

  1. Updating apps to most recent version

    How do I update the apps on my OpenSuse box to the most recent version?

    I've got Subversion installed, version 1.4.0. This version is nine
    months out of date; there have been three major releases since then. If
    I use Yast and search for updates, it does not show a version of
    Subversion which is more recent.

  2. Re: Updating apps to most recent version

    Chris wrote:

    > How do I update the apps on my OpenSuse box to the most recent version?
    >
    > I've got Subversion installed, version 1.4.0. This version is nine
    > months out of date; there have been three major releases since then. If
    > I use Yast and search for updates, it does not show a version of
    > Subversion which is more recent.

    Look in
    http://software.opensuse.org/download/
    to search them you can use:
    http://benjiweber.co.uk:8080/webpin/
    but there is no newest SVN (1.4.4) for 10.2.
    The factory provides 1.4.3, but be aware that binaries are compiled against
    the rest of system software, kernel and libraries, and attempt to simply
    install can lead to problems, specially if you allow dependencies to be
    resolved from Factory.

    Probably the easiest way to get the most recent is to compile Subversion
    from sources, but again you should know your operating system very well,
    and if configure script reported something as missing or old, do not simply
    update as it can overwrite existing system libraries and render system
    useless.

    There is also a number of other repositories listed in:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_Ya...e_Repositories

    Apropos updates:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Special:Version
    compare version numbers with the most current.
    That is openSUSE wiki maintained by professionals that know very well when
    is time to update.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  3. Re: Updating apps to most recent version

    Chris wrote:
    > How do I update the apps on my OpenSuse box to the most recent version?
    >
    > I've got Subversion installed, version 1.4.0. This version is nine
    > months out of date; there have been three major releases since then. If
    > I use Yast and search for updates, it does not show a version of
    > Subversion which is more recent.

    openSUSE does not bring out version updates. It brings out security
    updates. So if subversion is from openSUSE, they will have solved
    security issiues, but not features.

    Also you say that you run 1.4.0 and that there were three major
    releases, yet the website says 1.4.4 which sounds to me as if it is
    minor releases. Also when I look at the release notes, it talks about
    version 1.4 as the latest.
    This is confirmed when I read the Subversion Roadmap. Quote:
    Thus, 1.2.0, 1.3.0, and 1.4.0 are successive minor releases in the "1.x"
    line, whereas 1.1.1, 1.1.2, and 1.1.3 are successive patch (bugfix)
    releases in the "1.1.x" line.

    So my guess (I am not a subversion user, so I have no real clue, exept
    on how it upgrading works with other programs) is that you will not gain
    that much, yet you will loose the ability to have an automated update
    when there is a serious security update and bugfixes will most likely
    already be in your version of 1.4.0

    Now as people still seem to want to update, ignoring the downside and to
    show I am not as much of an asshole (well, actualy I am more, because I
    tell you how to do it, so you can screw up your system) here an
    explanation of how to get the latest version of any software you desire.

    1) De-install it from openSUSE with YaST. See that you have a backup of
    the configuration files
    2) Find a repository, rpm or compile it yourself.
    3) Run it
    4) Watch the website/mailinglist of the program to see when a newer
    version comes out and go back to step 2
    5) Do this for as many programs as you can possibly run. That is a few
    thousand of them
    6) Realize how much time it takes just to keep up, where the advantages
    of using the programs are about nill
    7) Do a new installation of openSUSE
    8) Just use YOU, expet for some very specific programs where a newer
    version has features that were not there before
    9) Moan about people do unneeded updates om Usenet.
    11) Explain people how to do it anyway, so they will realize what they
    are doing

    I am curently at step 11 of the infinite step program. Step 10 is to forgive
    people, but screw that. :-D

    houghi
    --
    First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
    numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then

  4. Re: Updating apps to most recent version

    Step 12: RTFM.... :-)

    (sorry - couldn't resist)

+ Reply to Thread