SLES 9: Can't get e1000 working - module loads, but no eth0 - Suse

This is a discussion on SLES 9: Can't get e1000 working - module loads, but no eth0 - Suse ; I'm running SLES 9 on some old box, and I tried upgrading the network card to an e1000. It looks like Yast is confused, because I cannot get it to work. The e1000 module loads just fine, but I have ...

  1. SLES 9: Can't get e1000 working - module loads, but no eth0

    I'm running SLES 9 on some old box, and I tried upgrading the network
    card to an e1000. It looks like Yast is confused, because I cannot
    get it to work.

    The e1000 module loads just fine, but I have no eth0 device. ifconfig
    -a shows only lo and sit0.

    So I suspect that the problem is either modprobe.conf or ifcfg-eth-bus-
    pci-0000:00:0d.0

    ifcfg-eth-bus-pci-0000:00:0d.0 contains this:

    BOOTPRO='dhcp'
    MTU=''
    REMOTE_IPADDR=''
    STARTMODE='onboot'
    UNIQUE='qnJ_.49XPc+GN1h3'
    _nm_name='bus-pci-0000:00:0d.0'

    I think I have the same problem as is described in this thread:

    http://osdir.com/ml/linux.suse.autoi.../msg00034.html

    However, that thread does not provide an answer.

    Can anyone help me, please? I just want to get ethernet working, I'm
    not really concerned about why Yast is busted. I'm going to re-
    install a more recent version of Linux later, but for now, I can't do
    much without networking.

  2. Re: SLES 9: Can't get e1000 working - module loads, but no eth0

    On Jun 22, 3:08 pm, Timur Tabi wrote:
    > I'm running SLES 9 on some old box, and I tried upgrading the network
    > card to an e1000. It looks like Yast is confused, because I cannot
    > get it to work.

    I got it working. The e1000 driver that ships with SLES9 was too old,
    even though it loads just fine. When I installed the latest driver
    from Intel's web site, everything started working.

+ Reply to Thread