OpenSuSE 10.2, google earth, gqcam not working. - Suse

This is a discussion on OpenSuSE 10.2, google earth, gqcam not working. - Suse ; I just downloaded and installed google earth on a SuSE V10.2 system. Starting up google earth shows for a brief moment the goole earth startup logo, then the X server crashes and I am back at the login screen. Running ...

  1. OpenSuSE 10.2, google earth, gqcam not working.

    I just downloaded and installed google earth on a SuSE V10.2 system.

    Starting up google earth shows for a brief moment the goole earth startup
    logo, then the X server crashes and I am back at the login screen.

    Running gqcam, displays the image from the camera ok. Then setting the timer
    to capture the images, when the timer fires, gqcam crashes with a buffer
    overflow.

    Any hints as to how to fix either problem are most welcome.

    The system: Pentium V 2.8 Ghz on ASUS motherboard. Default kernel, out of
    the box.

    The upgrade from SuSE V9.2 to SuSE V10.2 appears in hindsight not to be the
    best move, as both products were running under SuSE V9.2.

    Thanks

    Peter

  2. Re: OpenSuSE 10.2, google earth, gqcam not working.

    sutterp wrote:

    > I just downloaded and installed google earth on a SuSE V10.2 system.
    >
    > Starting up google earth shows for a brief moment the goole earth startup
    > logo, then the X server crashes and I am back at the login screen.
    >
    > Running gqcam, displays the image from the camera ok. Then setting the
    > timer to capture the images, when the timer fires, gqcam crashes with a
    > buffer overflow.
    >
    > Any hints as to how to fix either problem are most welcome.
    >
    > The system: Pentium V 2.8 Ghz on ASUS motherboard. Default kernel, out of
    > the box.
    >
    > The upgrade from SuSE V9.2 to SuSE V10.2 appears in hindsight not to be
    > the best move, as both products were running under SuSE V9.2.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter

    I have exactly the same problem using google earth.
    I haven't been able to sort it out as yet.
    Using opensuse 10.2 installation.
    I hope someone will come up with a solution soon but I have been searching
    on google and not found an answer yet.
    Here's hoping.

    Stan

  3. Re: OpenSuSE 10.2, google earth, gqcam not working.

    sutterp wrote:
    > I just downloaded and installed google earth on a SuSE V10.2 system.
    >
    > Starting up google earth shows for a brief moment the goole earth startup
    > logo, then the X server crashes and I am back at the login screen.
    >
    > Running gqcam, displays the image from the camera ok. Then setting the timer
    > to capture the images, when the timer fires, gqcam crashes with a buffer
    > overflow.
    >
    > Any hints as to how to fix either problem are most welcome.
    >
    > The system: Pentium V 2.8 Ghz on ASUS motherboard. Default kernel, out of
    > the box.
    >
    > The upgrade from SuSE V9.2 to SuSE V10.2 appears in hindsight not to be the
    > best move, as both products were running under SuSE V9.2.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter

    I have the same problem with my Acer Notebook but not on my desktop
    machine. I have openSUSE 10.2 also. I think it has to do with the video
    card. The notebook has shared memory whereas the desktop has a separate
    Nvidia video card in an AGP slot. I think Googleearth is trying to stomp
    on video memory in RAM that is occupied by xserver. The other
    possibility is that I don't have enough RAM memory allocated to video; 2
    meg instead of 4 or 8 although 2 meg should be plenty.

    --
    I'm glad scorpions don't fly.

    bcrawford

    50+ mpg * $40.00 to fill 14 gallon tank * Costs $.05 a mile

    Highest miles per gallon for a non-hybrid.* Top speed 140mph *5 speed

    Goes 700 miles on a tank. Banned in 3 states.

    Can you guess what it is? I have one.

  4. Re: OpenSuSE 10.2, google earth, gqcam not working.

    sutterp wrote:

    > I just downloaded and installed google earth on a SuSE V10.2 system.
    >
    > Starting up google earth shows for a brief moment the goole earth startup
    > logo, then the X server crashes and I am back at the login screen.
    >
    > Running gqcam, displays the image from the camera ok. Then setting the
    > timer to capture the images, when the timer fires, gqcam crashes with a
    > buffer overflow.
    >
    > Any hints as to how to fix either problem are most welcome.
    >
    > The system: Pentium V 2.8 Ghz on ASUS motherboard. Default kernel, out of
    > the box.
    >
    > The upgrade from SuSE V9.2 to SuSE V10.2 appears in hindsight not to be
    > the best move, as both products were running under SuSE V9.2.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter

    I haven't used google earth myself, but AFAIK it's a 3d app. What video card
    do you have? If it's an nVidia or ATI, do you have the proprietary driver
    installed?

    --
    Chris

  5. Re: OpenSuSE 10.2, google earth, gqcam not working.

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 18:42:53 +0000, Chris wrote:

    > sutterp wrote:
    >
    >> I just downloaded and installed google earth on a SuSE V10.2 system.
    >>
    >> Starting up google earth shows for a brief moment the goole earth
    >> startup logo, then the X server crashes and I am back at the login
    >> screen.
    >>
    >> Running gqcam, displays the image from the camera ok. Then setting the
    >> timer to capture the images, when the timer fires, gqcam crashes with a
    >> buffer overflow.
    >>
    >> Any hints as to how to fix either problem are most welcome.
    >>
    >> The system: Pentium V 2.8 Ghz on ASUS motherboard. Default kernel, out
    >> of the box.
    >>
    >> The upgrade from SuSE V9.2 to SuSE V10.2 appears in hindsight not to be
    >> the best move, as both products were running under SuSE V9.2.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Peter

    > I haven't used google earth myself, but AFAIK it's a 3d app. What video
    > card do you have? If it's an nVidia or ATI, do you have the proprietary
    > driver installed?

    I.m running Google Earth without problems on Open Suse 10.2 with a nVidia
    card.
    Works whether I use the "nv" driver or nVidia's proprietary driver.

    Google Earth 4.0.2735
    Build Date Jan 30 2007
    Build Time 14:31:57
    Renderer OpenGL
    Operating System Linux (2.6.18.8)
    Video Driver NVIDIA Corporation
    Max Texture Size 4096x4096
    Server kh.google.com

  6. Re: OpenSuSE 10.2, google earth, gqcam not working.

    stanley collier wrote:

    > sutterp wrote:
    >
    >> I just downloaded and installed google earth on a SuSE V10.2 system.
    >>
    >> Starting up google earth shows for a brief moment the goole earth startup
    >> logo, then the X server crashes and I am back at the login screen.
    >>
    >> Running gqcam, displays the image from the camera ok. Then setting the
    >> timer to capture the images, when the timer fires, gqcam crashes with a
    >> buffer overflow.
    >>
    >> Any hints as to how to fix either problem are most welcome.
    >>
    >> The system: Pentium V 2.8 Ghz on ASUS motherboard. Default kernel, out of
    >> the box.
    >>
    >> The upgrade from SuSE V9.2 to SuSE V10.2 appears in hindsight not to be
    >> the best move, as both products were running under SuSE V9.2.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Peter

    > I have exactly the same problem using google earth.
    > I haven't been able to sort it out as yet.
    > Using opensuse 10.2 installation.
    > I hope someone will come up with a solution soon but I have been
    > searching
    > on google and not found an answer yet.
    > Here's hoping.
    >
    > Stan

    It appears that I am not the only one having this problem. I will
    investigate a bit further. I just thought someone who experiences this
    problem would come up with a solution.

    Peter

  7. Re: OpenSuSE 10.2, google earth, gqcam not working.

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 00:20:01 +0800, sutterp wrote:

    > The upgrade from SuSE V9.2 to SuSE V10.2 appears in hindsight not to be
    > the best move, as both products were running under SuSE V9.2.

    I installed 10.2 and had to upgrade to 10.1 to get things right :-)

    If you go 10.1 definitely use the remastered series of CD's.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  8. Re: OpenSuSE 10.2, google earth, gqcam not working.

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 10:07:32 +0800, sutterp wrote:

    > It appears that I am not the only one having this problem. I will
    > investigate a bit further. I just thought someone who experiences this
    > problem would come up with a solution.

    While mentioning 3D broken apps, mention that on 10.2 UT2004 would not
    work for me (NVidia GeForce 6600).

    On a remastered 10.1 CD's install both Google Earth and UT2004 work.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  9. Re: OpenSuSE 10.2, google earth, gqcam not working.

    sutterp wrote:

    > stanley collier wrote:
    >
    >> sutterp wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just downloaded and installed google earth on a SuSE V10.2 system.
    >>>
    >>> Starting up google earth shows for a brief moment the goole earth
    >>> startup logo, then the X server crashes and I am back at the login
    >>> screen.
    >>>
    >>> Running gqcam, displays the image from the camera ok. Then setting the
    >>> timer to capture the images, when the timer fires, gqcam crashes with a
    >>> buffer overflow.
    >>>
    >>> Any hints as to how to fix either problem are most welcome.
    >>>
    >>> The system: Pentium V 2.8 Ghz on ASUS motherboard. Default kernel, out
    >>> of the box.
    >>>
    >>> The upgrade from SuSE V9.2 to SuSE V10.2 appears in hindsight not to be
    >>> the best move, as both products were running under SuSE V9.2.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Peter

    >> I have exactly the same problem using google earth.
    >> I haven't been able to sort it out as yet.
    >> Using opensuse 10.2 installation.
    >> I hope someone will come up with a solution soon but I have been
    >> searching
    >> on google and not found an answer yet.
    >> Here's hoping.
    >>
    >> Stan

    > It appears that I am not the only one having this problem. I will
    > investigate a bit further. I just thought someone who experiences this
    > problem would come up with a solution.
    >
    > Peter

    It appears that Googleearth uses 3D-extensions to the X-Server, without
    checking whether these are available/enabled on the X-Server. I think this
    is a bug in Googleearth.

    The xserver crashes if 3D is used without beeing enabled/available on the
    graphics card. I think this is a bug too, but in the X-Server.

    Both methods below worked for me on SuSE V10.2

    Method 1:
    In YaST -> Hardware -> Graphics Card -> Monitor on the Display Tab, check
    the "Activate 3D Acceleration" checkbox, then save the settings and
    re-boot, now try Googleearth. If your graphics card can do 3D, you should
    be OK now.

    Method 2:
    Install nvidia
    1. rpm --import
    ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/1...repomd.xml.key
    2. zypper sa ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/10.2/ nvidia
    3. zypper install nvidia-gfx-kmp-default x11-video-nvidia
    4. re-boot and try.

    Peter

  10. Re: OpenSuSE 10.2, google earth, gqcam not working.

    On Jun 23, 9:40 am, sutterp wrote:
    > sutterp wrote:
    > > stanley collier wrote:

    > >> I have exactly the same problem using google earth.
    > >> I haven't been able to sort it out as yet.
    > >> Using opensuse 10.2 installation.
    > >> I hope someone will come up with a solution soon but I have been
    > >> searching
    > >> on google and not found an answer yet.
    > >> Here's hoping.

    > >> Stan

    > > It appears that I am not the only one having this problem. I will
    > > investigate a bit further. I just thought someone who experiences this
    > > problem would come up with a solution.

    > > Peter

    > It appears that Googleearth uses 3D-extensions to the X-Server, without
    > checking whether these are available/enabled on the X-Server. I think this
    > is a bug in Googleearth.
    >
    > The xserver crashes if 3D is used without beeing enabled/available on the
    > graphics card. I think this is a bug too, but in the X-Server.
    >
    > Both methods below worked for me on SuSE V10.2

    I do not have a Nvidia card but i'll see if this will solve the
    problem!
    Keep u posted

    > Method 1:
    > In YaST -> Hardware -> Graphics Card -> Monitor on the Display Tab, check
    > the "Activate 3D Acceleration" checkbox, then save the settings and
    > re-boot, now try Googleearth. If your graphics card can do 3D, you should
    > be OK now.
    >
    > Method 2:
    > Install nvidia
    > 1. rpm --importftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/10.2/repodata/repomd.xml.key
    > 2. zypper saftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/10.2/nvidia
    > 3. zypper install nvidia-gfx-kmp-default x11-video-nvidia
    > 4. re-boot and try.
    >
    > Peter

  11. Re: OpenSuSE 10.2, google earth, gqcam not working.

    On 27 jun, 14:49, dspoll...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jun 23, 9:40 am, sutterp wrote:
    >
    > > sutterp wrote:

    > > > It appears that I am not the only one having this problem. I will
    > > > investigate a bit further. I just thought someone who experiences this
    > > > problem would come up with a solution.

    > > > Peter

    > > It appears that Googleearth uses 3D-extensions to the X-Server, without
    > > checking whether these are available/enabled on the X-Server. I think this
    > > is a bug in Googleearth.

    > > The xserver crashes if 3D is used without beeing enabled/available on the
    > > graphics card. I think this is a bug too, but in the X-Server.

    > > Both methods below worked for me on SuSE V10.2

    > I do not have a Nvidia card but i'll see if this will solve the
    > problem!
    > Keep u posted
    >
    > > Method 1:
    > > In YaST -> Hardware -> Graphics Card -> Monitor on the Display Tab, check
    > > the "Activate 3D Acceleration" checkbox, then save the settings and
    > > re-boot, now try Googleearth. If your graphics card can do 3D, you should
    > > be OK now.

    works like a charm!

    My laptop is a bit too slow for the desktops effects but with 3d acc.
    activated Google Earth works!! (Suse 10.2 on a HP Compac nc 6120

+ Reply to Thread