Tape Drive Initialization Problem? - Suse

This is a discussion on Tape Drive Initialization Problem? - Suse ; The HP SotrageWorks Ultrium 448 SAS that came with my server was not able to be found with SUSE Linux Server 9, although Novell claims that the drive is supported. The device is connected and the ready as the LED ...

  1. Tape Drive Initialization Problem?

    The HP SotrageWorks Ultrium 448 SAS that came with my server was not
    able to be found with SUSE Linux Server 9, although Novell claims that
    the drive
    is supported. The device is connected and the ready as the LED light
    is on. I
    looked at the dmesg and didn't seem to find it loaded. I did find the
    drive through the normal scsi location it's supposed to load it to,
    although I did see "ide_tape: module not supported by Novell, setting
    U taint flag." Not sure this has anything to do with why I can't find
    it. The drive is found in the bios, but for some reason SLES 9 can't
    see it. Any ideas? Thanks!

  2. Re: Tape Drive Initialization Problem?

    Dan wrote:

    > The HP SotrageWorks Ultrium 448 SAS that came with my server was not
    > able to be found with SUSE Linux Server 9, although Novell claims that
    > the drive
    > is supported. The device is connected and the ready as the LED light
    > is on. I
    > looked at the dmesg and didn't seem to find it loaded. I did find the
    > drive through the normal scsi location it's supposed to load it to,
    > although I did see "ide_tape: module not supported by Novell, setting
    > U taint flag." Not sure this has anything to do with why I can't find
    > it. The drive is found in the bios, but for some reason SLES 9 can't
    > see it. Any ideas? Thanks!

    I have never had a UNIX or Linux system where HP's Storageworks software
    worked well enough for me to trust it on the Live system. I could get it so
    far, but it was far from safe enough for use on the servers.

    But not to worry there is a better way.

    First your device problem.

    In 9.3 I found that access to the tape drive was limited with the Suse
    drivers because of the scsi driver. Disk drives worked as they should, but
    not the tape control, i.e. I could read and write on the /dev/rmt(data
    drive) but not control with the /dev/rmt(control device)

    I repaired this with updated scsi drivers direct from the HP site, I
    compiled them from source because I updated on my UNIX as well, but it all
    went in very neatly. While I was there I made sure I had the latest of the
    tape device driver too.

    So this is your shopping list, you have to register on the HP site but it is
    free and you don't get much advertising from them (just the occasional one
    showing you a mega top of the line server that you can't afford, rotten
    sods).

    1. Get the updated scsi driver for your device (it might be on the disks
    that came with your server).
    2. Get the updated tape device driver while your there.
    3. Get HPs updated mt-st (this is the tape controller side)

    Pause here.
    [3. Get 'Star', probably on your Suse DVD but might want an updated one
    because some command changes were made at some point to bring it closer
    into line with 'tar'.]

    Star would have been the next on my shopping list, but the trend is towards
    'Taper' and maybe a gui wrapped around that. I can't advise you on that
    route because I haven't modernized yet (I still have ducks on my bathroom
    wall).

    Study the mt-st side, you will find that your drives are very controllerble
    from scripts, what ever script language you use. Perl has simmilar
    functionality in one of it's modules so if that is your language than it
    likely fits in better for you.

    But a bash script is just as nice

    The reason I go with star is because it is as neat as 'tar' for scripting.
    But that's just me, bleeding old fashioned rellic I am, (wanders off into
    the sun set grumbling at anyone passing)

+ Reply to Thread