Wireless Adapter Needs Atmel-Firmware - Suse

This is a discussion on Wireless Adapter Needs Atmel-Firmware - Suse ; I am just starting to play with Suse Linux 10.2 on an old machine that is currently connected to the Internet by Ethernet cable but I want to be able to use a Linksys USB Wireless Adapter that I have ...

  1. Wireless Adapter Needs Atmel-Firmware

    I am just starting to play with Suse Linux 10.2 on an old machine that is
    currently connected to the Internet by Ethernet cable but I want to be able
    to use a Linksys USB Wireless Adapter that I have spare instead. When I
    try to configure the adapter, Suse finds it, no problem, but then says that
    Atmel-Firmware needs to be installed. I have found a web site that has
    many versions of Atmel-Firmware but have no idea which I require and even
    less idea how to go about installing it. Perhaps some kind person will
    take pity on me and explain in simple (very simple) terms what I need, how
    to get it and how to install it.
    --
    Keith Will****s

  2. Re: Wireless Adapter Needs Atmel-Firmware

    Hi,

    Keith Will****s schrieb:
    > Atmel-Firmware needs to be installed.

    You will also find that firmware file in the Windows version of the driver.
    Try to get a zip file, it should hold a .bin file or similar.

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  3. Re: Wireless Adapter Needs Atmel-Firmware

    Keith Will****s wrote:

    > I am just starting to play with Suse Linux 10.2 on an old machine that is
    > currently connected to the Internet by Ethernet cable but I want to be
    > able
    > to use a Linksys USB Wireless Adapter that I have spare instead. When I
    > try to configure the adapter, Suse finds it, no problem, but then says
    > that
    > Atmel-Firmware needs to be installed. I have found a web site that has
    > many versions of Atmel-Firmware but have no idea which I require and even
    > less idea how to go about installing it. Perhaps some kind person will
    > take pity on me and explain in simple (very simple) terms what I need, how
    > to get it and how to install it.

    Just add the non-oss install directory to your install sources. Then search
    for Atmel-Firmware.

    http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...2/repo/non-oss

    The description for that package reads as follows:

    The drivers for Atmel at76c50x wireless network chips in the Linux 2.6.x
    kernel and at http://at76c503a.berlios.de/ do not include the firmware and
    this firmware needs to be loaded by the host on most cards using these
    chips. This package provides the firmware images that should be
    automatically loaded as needed by the hotplug system. It also provides a
    small loader utility that can be used to accomplish the same thing when
    hotplug is not in use.

  4. Re: Wireless Adapter Needs Atmel-Firmware

    "Michael Soibelman" wrote in message
    news:tPyei.21134$C96.11057@newssvr23.news.prodigy. net...
    > Keith Will****s wrote:
    >
    >> I am just starting to play with Suse Linux 10.2 on an old machine that is
    >> currently connected to the Internet by Ethernet cable but I want to be
    >> able
    >> to use a Linksys USB Wireless Adapter that I have spare instead. When I
    >> try to configure the adapter, Suse finds it, no problem, but then says
    >> that
    >> Atmel-Firmware needs to be installed. I have found a web site that has
    >> many versions of Atmel-Firmware but have no idea which I require and even
    >> less idea how to go about installing it. Perhaps some kind person will
    >> take pity on me and explain in simple (very simple) terms what I need,
    >> how
    >> to get it and how to install it.

    > Just add the non-oss install directory to your install sources. Then
    > search
    > for Atmel-Firmware.
    >
    > http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...2/repo/non-oss
    >

    > The description for that package reads as follows:
    >
    > The drivers for Atmel at76c50x wireless network chips in the Linux 2.6.x
    > kernel and at http://at76c503a.berlios.de/ do not include the firmware and
    > this firmware needs to be loaded by the host on most cards using these
    > chips. This package provides the firmware images that should be
    > automatically loaded as needed by the hotplug system. It also provides a
    > small loader utility that can be used to accomplish the same thing when
    > hotplug is not in use.

    Thanks for that Andreas and Michael, this will be my task for the weekend
    (grandson permitting).
    --
    Keith Will****s

  5. Re: Wireless Adapter Needs Atmel-Firmware

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:46:01 -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Keith Will****s wrote:
    >
    >> I am just starting to play with Suse Linux 10.2 on an old machine that is
    >> currently connected to the Internet by Ethernet cable but I want to be
    >> able
    >> to use a Linksys USB Wireless Adapter that I have spare instead. When I
    >> try to configure the adapter, Suse finds it, no problem, but then says
    >> that
    >> Atmel-Firmware needs to be installed. I have found a web site that has
    >> many versions of Atmel-Firmware but have no idea which I require and even
    >> less idea how to go about installing it. Perhaps some kind person will
    >> take pity on me and explain in simple (very simple) terms what I need, how
    >> to get it and how to install it.

    > Just add the non-oss install directory to your install sources. Then search
    > for Atmel-Firmware.
    >
    > http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...2/repo/non-oss
    >

    > The description for that package reads as follows:
    >
    > The drivers for Atmel at76c50x wireless network chips in the Linux 2.6.x
    > kernel and at http://at76c503a.berlios.de/ do not include the firmware and
    > this firmware needs to be loaded by the host on most cards using these
    > chips. This package provides the firmware images that should be
    > automatically loaded as needed by the hotplug system. It also provides a
    > small loader utility that can be used to accomplish the same thing when
    > hotplug is not in use.

    Thanks Michael, that did it and the USB Adapter has now been installed.
    Everything appears(!) to be OK with the exception that it seems not to be
    working. It does not find my BT Home Hub (yes, I know) or my neighbours
    wireless setups of which their are several. The PC is multiboot and when
    I boot into XP it connects OK so I know that the router and adapter are
    working. In Network card Configuration Overview it has set up as Linksys
    WLAN Controller with IP address as DHCP and Device Name
    wlan-bus-usb-1-1.3:1.0 and in configuration it has the Genearal tab as
    Firewall Disabled and Device Activation as On Hotplug. Under the Address
    tab it is set for Automatic Address Setup (via DHCP). Everything else
    has been left unchanged. The wireless security is WEP 128 bit (the
    adapter is pre WPA) and I have checked and rechecked the 28 hexadecimal
    character key to ensure it is correct. I am now stumped so if anyone has
    any thoughts I will be grateful.

    Keith Will****s

  6. Re: Wireless Adapter Needs Atmel-Firmware

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:17:30 +0100, Keith Will****s wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:46:01 -0700, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    >> Keith Will****s wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am just starting to play with Suse Linux 10.2 on an old machine that is
    >>> currently connected to the Internet by Ethernet cable but I want to be
    >>> able
    >>> to use a Linksys USB Wireless Adapter that I have spare instead. When I
    >>> try to configure the adapter, Suse finds it, no problem, but then says
    >>> that
    >>> Atmel-Firmware needs to be installed. I have found a web site that has
    >>> many versions of Atmel-Firmware but have no idea which I require and even
    >>> less idea how to go about installing it. Perhaps some kind person will
    >>> take pity on me and explain in simple (very simple) terms what I need, how
    >>> to get it and how to install it.

    >> Just add the non-oss install directory to your install sources. Then search
    >> for Atmel-Firmware.
    >>
    >> http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...2/repo/non-oss
    >>

    >> The description for that package reads as follows:
    >>
    >> The drivers for Atmel at76c50x wireless network chips in the Linux 2.6.x
    >> kernel and at http://at76c503a.berlios.de/ do not include the firmware and
    >> this firmware needs to be loaded by the host on most cards using these
    >> chips. This package provides the firmware images that should be
    >> automatically loaded as needed by the hotplug system. It also provides a
    >> small loader utility that can be used to accomplish the same thing when
    >> hotplug is not in use.

    > Thanks Michael, that did it and the USB Adapter has now been installed.
    > Everything appears(!) to be OK with the exception that it seems not to be
    > working. It does not find my BT Home Hub (yes, I know) or my neighbours
    > wireless setups of which their are several. The PC is multiboot and when
    > I boot into XP it connects OK so I know that the router and adapter are
    > working. In Network card Configuration Overview it has set up as Linksys
    > WLAN Controller with IP address as DHCP and Device Name
    > wlan-bus-usb-1-1.3:1.0 and in configuration it has the Genearal tab as
    > Firewall Disabled and Device Activation as On Hotplug. Under the Address
    > tab it is set for Automatic Address Setup (via DHCP). Everything else
    > has been left unchanged. The wireless security is WEP 128 bit (the
    > adapter is pre WPA) and I have checked and rechecked the 28 hexadecimal
    > character key to ensure it is correct. I am now stumped so if anyone has
    > any thoughts I will be grateful.
    >
    > Keith Will****s

    That should read 26 Hexadecimal Character Key

    Keith

+ Reply to Thread