Add Vista in a triple boot? - Suse

This is a discussion on Add Vista in a triple boot? - Suse ; I need to benchmark some technical software on 64-bit Vista (compare it 64-bit Linux, which I expect will be faster) and would like to add Vista as another boot option, if that's not too much trouble. Currently I have SUSE ...

  1. Add Vista in a triple boot?

    I need to benchmark some technical software on 64-bit Vista (compare it
    64-bit Linux, which I expect will be faster) and would like to add Vista
    as another boot option, if that's not too much trouble.

    Currently I have SUSE 10.2 and Windows XP set up in a dual boot (dual
    hard drive) arrangement, with Windows on hda (80Gb, ~40GB free) and SUSE
    on hdb (320GB, ~280GB free). As you can see, there's plenty of space
    available on either HD for this.

    So what would be the easiest way to do this (and how)? All the articles
    I've been able to find on triple booting assume Linux and Vista are both
    being installed (on a Windows XP machine) - and all on the same HD - in
    which case they recommend installing Vista before Linux (the opposite of
    what I have). I haven't come across any "how-to" articles for my
    particular situation.

    Thanks for any help with this.

    Pat

  2. Re: Add Vista in a triple boot?

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:15:49 -0400, Pat wrote:

    > Once Vista installs itself, I think it will overwrite the Grub boot
    > loader, so I'll lose my ability to run SUSE (on hdb). Is that correct
    > also? If so, how can I restore that? Assuming everything else I've
    > mentioned is true, this is the only part of this process I'm not clear on.

    Reinstall grub on / (your Linux partitioon with /boot

    Go to...

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

    Install it in the MBR *after* all the install is done. Scan the
    partitions and add the bootable ones.

    BTW, I would not let Vista do anything to my HD as it might just nuke
    Linux altogether. Are you able to prepartition it? I have two machines.

    Machine 1: W2K, W31/DOS, OS/2, Slack 10.2, Slack 11, Suse 10.1
    Machine 2: W2k, W98SE, OS/2, Slack 10.2
    (All linux is ext2)

    I prepartitioned.
    All lilo's reside on / for each distro
    Smart Boot Loader is on both machines.

    No problems ever even when I delete a Linux distro and add another.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  3. Re: Add Vista in a triple boot?

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:15:49 -0400, Pat wrote:
    >
    >> Once Vista installs itself, I think it will overwrite the Grub boot
    >> loader, so I'll lose my ability to run SUSE (on hdb). Is that correct
    >> also? If so, how can I restore that? Assuming everything else I've
    >> mentioned is true, this is the only part of this process I'm not clear on.

    > Reinstall grub on / (your Linux partitioon with /boot
    >
    > Go to...
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/
    >
    > Install it in the MBR *after* all the install is done. Scan the
    > partitions and add the bootable ones.
    >
    > BTW, I would not let Vista do anything to my HD as it might just nuke
    > Linux altogether. Are you able to prepartition it? I have two machines.
    >
    > Machine 1: W2K, W31/DOS, OS/2, Slack 10.2, Slack 11, Suse 10.1
    > Machine 2: W2k, W98SE, OS/2, Slack 10.2
    > (All linux is ext2)
    >
    > I prepartitioned.
    > All lilo's reside on / for each distro
    > Smart Boot Loader is on both machines.
    >
    > No problems ever even when I delete a Linux distro and add another.

    Can't Yast prepartition? I thought I read somewhere it could.

    I'm starting to reconsider doing this though. Apparently MS doesn't
    have a free, installable, demo copy of Vista (only a virtualized one),
    and I don't really want to buy a copy just for this. I can't imagine
    that's good for business though (probably good for Linux). I guess they
    must be pretty confident of their lock on the market.

    Pat

  4. Re: Add Vista in a triple boot?

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:37:18 -0400, Pat wrote:

    >>> Once Vista installs itself, I think it will overwrite the Grub boot
    >>> loader, so I'll lose my ability to run SUSE (on hdb). Is that correct

    >> Reinstall grub on / (your Linux partitioon with /boot

    >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

    >> Install it in the MBR *after* all the install is done. Scan the
    >> partitions and add the bootable ones.

    >> BTW, I would not let Vista do anything to my HD as it might just nuke
    >> Linux altogether. Are you able to prepartition it? I have two machines.

    >> I prepartitioned.
    >> All lilo's reside on / for each distro Smart Boot Loader is on both
    >> machines.

    >> No problems ever even when I delete a Linux distro and add another.

    > Can't Yast prepartition? I thought I read somewhere it could.

    I suppose it can but I use Partition Magic and ext2 (or ext3). It's the
    only app I've found for resizing and making partition that fully
    handles any Linux or windoze "quirks".

    But the standard suggestion is to use Linux tools for linux filesystems
    (Like GParted) and 'doze tools for FAT and NTFS. GParted will do an OK
    job on those but introduces some no-fatal errors into the partition
    table and partition boot records.

    Why I use PMagic is based on two things - Mostly is because I've used it
    over a hundred times at least sucessfully. Two, I don't trust disto
    partition tools. Sometimes they work perfectly but have been known to
    make a mess of things also. This is no insuly to yast tools - It's
    simply my preference to use what I know will work.

    > I'm starting to reconsider doing this though. Apparently MS doesn't have
    > a free, installable, demo copy of Vista (only a virtualized one), and I
    > don't really want to buy a copy just for this. I can't imagine that's
    > good for business though (probably good for Linux). I guess they must be
    > pretty confident of their lock on the market.

    They'd have to pay me to test that Alpha

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  5. Re: Add Vista in a triple boot?

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    >>> Reinstall grub on / (your Linux partitioon with /boot

    >>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

    >>> Install it in the MBR *after* all the install is done. Scan the
    >>> partitions and add the bootable ones.

    >>> BTW, I would not let Vista do anything to my HD as it might just nuke
    >>> Linux altogether. Are you able to prepartition it? I have two machines.

    >>> I prepartitioned.
    >>> All lilo's reside on / for each distro Smart Boot Loader is on both
    >>> machines.

    >>> No problems ever even when I delete a Linux distro and add another.

    >> Can't Yast prepartition? I thought I read somewhere it could.

    > I suppose it can but I use Partition Magic and ext2 (or ext3). It's the
    > only app I've found for resizing and making partition that fully
    > handles any Linux or windoze "quirks".
    >
    > But the standard suggestion is to use Linux tools for linux filesystems
    > (Like GParted) and 'doze tools for FAT and NTFS. GParted will do an OK
    > job on those but introduces some no-fatal errors into the partition
    > table and partition boot records.
    >
    > Why I use PMagic is based on two things - Mostly is because I've used it
    > over a hundred times at least sucessfully. Two, I don't trust disto
    > partition tools. Sometimes they work perfectly but have been known to
    > make a mess of things also. This is no insuly to yast tools - It's
    > simply my preference to use what I know will work.
    >
    >> I'm starting to reconsider doing this though. Apparently MS doesn't have
    >> a free, installable, demo copy of Vista (only a virtualized one), and I
    >> don't really want to buy a copy just for this. I can't imagine that's
    >> good for business though (probably good for Linux). I guess they must be
    >> pretty confident of their lock on the market.

    > They'd have to pay me to test that Alpha

    Thanks for the additional info. Good to know for future reference.

    Pat

+ Reply to Thread