extracting video-sequences from DVD - Suse

This is a discussion on extracting video-sequences from DVD - Suse ; Hi all: I'd like to try re-arranging short pieces of film on DVD. Does anyone have some hints/howto, manuals, etc. Which program, what to respect? My aim is to make some joke-film of (own) avi etc. Thanks for ideas- Axel ...

  1. extracting video-sequences from DVD

    --
    news.t-online.de

  2. Re: extracting video-sequences from DVD

    On 2007-06-20 13:12, Axel Krebs wrote:
    > Hi all:
    >
    > I'd like to try re-arranging short pieces of film on DVD.
    > Does anyone have some hints/howto, manuals, etc. Which program, what to
    > respect?
    >
    > My aim is to make some joke-film of (own) avi etc.
    >
    > Thanks for ideas-
    >

    > Axel

    If you have added the recomended install sources, and specially packman,
    you can open Yast package manager, and search for dvd in name and comment.

    You will get many dvd ripping tools, where you maybe can use some
    with the first try, while others take longer to figure out.

    And "avi" is just a file container, it specify nothing itself about
    the actual video codec you will convert to.

    Anyway, browse the info of the programs you find, and see if you find
    something that look usable for you.

    I use many different apps, and combine them depending of what I have as start,
    and expect as the end result.

    Maybe vobcopy , devede , kino.
    Well just explore available tools with YaST.

    /birre

  3. Re: extracting video-sequences from DVD

    Axel Krebs wrote:
    > Hi all:
    >
    > I'd like to try re-arranging short pieces of film on DVD.
    > Does anyone have some hints/howto, manuals, etc. Which program, what to
    > respect?
    >
    > My aim is to make some joke-film of (own) avi etc.
    >
    > Thanks for ideas-
    >

    > Axel

    Ripping (use tools from packman and get libdvdcss from somewhere):

    mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile movie.vob

    That gets you an unencoded DVD vob of the movie (I like to keep
    these to convert to other formats).

    For my Cowon A2, I convert them down to 480x272 size divx mp4
    with mp3 audio:

    mencoder movie.vob -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -oac mp3lame
    -lameopts cbr:br=192 -vf-add dsize=720:-2,scale=480:272,crop=480:272
    -ffourcc DIVX -o movie.avi

    (there's a TON of options for mencoder... you'll have to read
    the man page and figure out what you need)

    For manipulating avi files, I've been using avidemux2.

    An alternative single pass mpeg2 to avi conversion I've used is:

    transcode -i movie.vob -R 0 -M 2 -o movie.avi -y ffmpeg -F mpeg4 -Z
    480x272 --keep_asr

    Again, you'll need to get packages from packman or some other site
    that houses versions that work

  4. Re: extracting video-sequences from DVD

    Chris Cox wrote:

    > Axel Krebs wrote:
    >> Hi all:
    >>
    >> I'd like to try re-arranging short pieces of film on DVD.
    >> Does anyone have some hints/howto, manuals, etc. Which program, what to
    >> respect?
    >>
    >> My aim is to make some joke-film of (own) avi etc.
    >>
    >> Thanks for ideas-
    >>

    >> Axel

    > Ripping (use tools from packman and get libdvdcss from somewhere):

    Hi birre, Hi Chris, Hi all,

    thank you for some hints!

    - Packet "packmann" is active as source, already.
    - Checked yast with search for "DVD"
    - found "MainActor 5": this prog has a nice surface an dseem to be easy to
    handle- really? Does anyone habe experiences with?

    thanks in advance-

    Axel
    --
    news.t-online.de

  5. Re: extracting video-sequences from DVD

    Axel Krebs wrote:
    > Hi all:
    >
    > I'd like to try re-arranging short pieces of film on DVD.
    > Does anyone have some hints/howto, manuals, etc. Which program, what to
    > respect?
    >
    > My aim is to make some joke-film of (own) avi etc.
    >
    > Thanks for ideas-
    >

    > Axel

    I've used dvd::rip to extract to avi clips. If I remember, it also does
    VOB format. I remember converting one to an mpeg file; I think I used
    avidemux2, but it was a while ago.

+ Reply to Thread