OpenOffice Base Java Error - Suse

This is a discussion on OpenOffice Base Java Error - Suse ; I am trying to use OpenOffice 2.0's database on Suse 10.0 to create a database file. Each time I start I get an error "OOO requires a Java runtime environment to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective. Please ...

  1. OpenOffice Base Java Error

    I am trying to use OpenOffice 2.0's database on Suse 10.0 to create a
    database file. Each time I start I get an error "OOO requires a Java
    runtime environment to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective.
    Please select another version or install a new JRE........"

    I have java-1_4_2-sun 1.4.2.13-0.1 and the plugin of the same version.

    Does anyone have any idea what the problem actually is? I have tried
    uninstalling this version and installed 1.5.0 in it's place with the
    same results.

    Thanks
    Jim
    --
    Linux Website Links http://myweb.cableone.net/okieman7/linux.htm
    Registered Linux User# 376156

  2. Re: OpenOffice Base Java Error

    Jim Jones wrote:
    > I am trying to use OpenOffice 2.0's database on Suse 10.0 to create a
    > database file. Each time I start I get an error "OOO requires a Java
    > runtime environment to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective.
    > Please select another version or install a new JRE........"
    >
    > I have java-1_4_2-sun 1.4.2.13-0.1 and the plugin of the same version.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what the problem actually is? I have tried
    > uninstalling this version and installed 1.5.0 in it's place with the
    > same results.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jim

    Worth a try if you are sure Java is OK, to reinstall OO.

  3. Re: OpenOffice Base Java Error

    Jim Jones wrote:

    > I am trying to use OpenOffice 2.0's database on Suse 10.0 to create a
    > database file. Each time I start I get an error "OOO requires a Java
    > runtime environment to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective.
    > Please select another version or install a new JRE........"
    >
    > I have java-1_4_2-sun 1.4.2.13-0.1 and the plugin of the same version.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what the problem actually is? I have tried
    > uninstalling this version and installed 1.5.0 in it's place with the
    > same results.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jim

    Did you set the path for java in your OO.org preferences ??

    Here's how:

    1. Open OpenOffice Writer.
    2. Select ->Tools ->Options
    3.In the Options menu that appears expand [+] the OpenOffice.org button.
    4. Select ->Java. Make sure the [x] Use a Java runtime environment button
    is checked. Below the line that states "Java runtime environments (JRE)
    already installed:" you will see the window displaying whichever runtimes
    were detected automatically by OpenOffice. Select the one you wish to use
    by clicking the radio button corresponding it. If the system does not
    detect the version you wish to use (installed to a non-standard directory)
    then click the Add button to the right. This will open a navigation dialog
    where you select the proper folder. This should be the one called jre !!!
    On my system the path end with /jdk/jre .

    Now that will set the java runtime path correctly. Since you didn't state
    whether or not you are going to use a OpenOffice native database I will
    also mention that if you are going to connect to an external database
    (MySQL, PostgresQL, Oracle....) then you will want to set the preferences
    for that too.

    (If not still open)
    1. Select ->Tools ->Options
    2. Expand the [+] OpenOffice.org Base category.
    3. Click on Connections. In the dialog that appears make sure the
    [+]Connection pooling enabled box is checked. Select a database type and
    then check the [+]Enable pooling for this driver box. Repeat for each type
    of database you wish to connect to.
    4. To see which existing databases are registered with OpenOffice slect the
    Databases button just below the Connections button. In the dialog that
    appears you can view/edit the existing database 'name' and link-to database
    file location. Or create a new one. This would be a blank database file.

    Click O.K. and restart OpenOffice.

  4. Re: OpenOffice Base Java Error

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > Jim Jones wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to use OpenOffice 2.0's database on Suse 10.0 to create a
    >> database file. Each time I start I get an error "OOO requires a Java
    >> runtime environment to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective.
    >> Please select another version or install a new JRE........"
    >>
    >> I have java-1_4_2-sun 1.4.2.13-0.1 and the plugin of the same version.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any idea what the problem actually is? I have tried
    >> uninstalling this version and installed 1.5.0 in it's place with the
    >> same results.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Jim

    > Did you set the path for java in your OO.org preferences ??
    >
    > Here's how:
    >
    > 1. Open OpenOffice Writer.
    > 2. Select ->Tools ->Options
    > 3.In the Options menu that appears expand [+] the OpenOffice.org button.
    > 4. Select ->Java. Make sure the [x] Use a Java runtime environment button
    > is checked. Below the line that states "Java runtime environments (JRE)
    > already installed:" you will see the window displaying whichever runtimes
    > were detected automatically by OpenOffice. Select the one you wish to use
    > by clicking the radio button corresponding it. If the system does not
    > detect the version you wish to use (installed to a non-standard directory)
    > then click the Add button to the right. This will open a navigation dialog
    > where you select the proper folder. This should be the one called jre !!!
    > On my system the path end with /jdk/jre .
    >

    > Now that will set the java runtime path correctly. Since you didn't state
    > whether or not you are going to use a OpenOffice native database I will
    > also mention that if you are going to connect to an external database
    > (MySQL, PostgresQL, Oracle....) then you will want to set the preferences
    > for that too.
    >
    > (If not still open)
    > 1. Select ->Tools ->Options
    > 2. Expand the [+] OpenOffice.org Base category.
    > 3. Click on Connections. In the dialog that appears make sure the
    > [+]Connection pooling enabled box is checked. Select a database type and
    > then check the [+]Enable pooling for this driver box. Repeat for each type
    > of database you wish to connect to.
    > 4. To see which existing databases are registered with OpenOffice slect the
    > Databases button just below the Connections button. In the dialog that
    > appears you can view/edit the existing database 'name' and link-to database
    > file location. Or create a new one. This would be a blank database file.
    >
    > Click O.K. and restart OpenOffice.

    Thanks!!!! That was it, I had checked out the Java options window but
    had never clicked the radio button in front of the line that was
    displayed. Apparently I just flat missed seeing it.

    Thanks Again.

    Jim

    --
    Linux Website Links http://myweb.cableone.net/okieman7/linux.htm