Help! - Lost gui on openSUSE 10.2 - Suse

This is a discussion on Help! - Lost gui on openSUSE 10.2 - Suse ; After making some updates to the system (Packages > All Packages > Update if newer versions...) I lost the gui. When I start the system I get to the boot manager, as normal, but then from there (after selecting openSUSE) ...

  1. Help! - Lost gui on openSUSE 10.2

    After making some updates to the system (Packages > All Packages > Update if
    newer versions...) I lost the gui. When I start the system I get to the
    boot manager, as normal, but then from there (after selecting openSUSE) it
    boots into the command prompt. Logging in and typing "startx" generates an
    error (sorry I can't remember the exact details, but I think it had
    something to do the nvidia driver).

    I think this was probably a result of an update to the nvidia graphics card.
    There were only 6 or 7 packages that were updated, and I think this was one
    of them. Does anyone know how I can correct this. I'm totally lost at this
    point. Fortunately my dual boot to Windows XP still works, which is how I'm
    able to communicate.

    Thanks for any help.

    Pat

  2. Re: Help! - Lost gui on openSUSE 10.2

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:50:07 -0400
    "Pat Kelecy" wrote:

    > After making some updates to the system (Packages > All Packages >
    > Update if newer versions...) I lost the gui. When I start the system
    > I get to the boot manager, as normal, but then from there (after
    > selecting openSUSE) it boots into the command prompt. Logging in and
    > typing "startx" generates an error (sorry I can't remember the exact
    > details, but I think it had something to do the nvidia driver).
    >
    > I think this was probably a result of an update to the nvidia
    > graphics card. There were only 6 or 7 packages that were updated, and
    > I think this was one of them. Does anyone know how I can correct
    > this. I'm totally lost at this point. Fortunately my dual boot to
    > Windows XP still works, which is how I'm able to communicate.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Pat

    Hi
    Have a look here, use the hard (imho the easiest) way...:-)
    http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.46-0.12-smp

  3. Re: Help! - Lost gui on openSUSE 10.2

    Pat Kelecy wrote:
    > After making some updates to the system (Packages > All Packages > Update if
    > newer versions...) I lost the gui. When I start the system I get to the
    > boot manager, as normal, but then from there (after selecting openSUSE) it
    > boots into the command prompt. Logging in and typing "startx" generates an
    > error (sorry I can't remember the exact details, but I think it had
    > something to do the nvidia driver).
    >
    > I think this was probably a result of an update to the nvidia graphics card.
    > There were only 6 or 7 packages that were updated, and I think this was one
    > of them. Does anyone know how I can correct this. I'm totally lost at this
    > point. Fortunately my dual boot to Windows XP still works, which is how I'm
    > able to communicate.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Pat

    In /etc/X11 try renameing xorg.conf to xorg.bak and xorg.conf.install to
    xorg.conf then reboot. If that don't fix it, put it back.

    nvidia updates don't usually krash the GUI, usually xorg updates do that.

    --
    I'm glad scorpions don't fly.

    bcrawford

    The bottom line is....
    You do NOT have to maximize profits, find a balance.

  4. Re: Help! - Lost gui on openSUSE 10.2

    Malcolm wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:50:07 -0400
    > "Pat Kelecy" wrote:
    >
    >> After making some updates to the system (Packages > All Packages >
    >> Update if newer versions...) I lost the gui. When I start the system
    >> I get to the boot manager, as normal, but then from there (after
    >> selecting openSUSE) it boots into the command prompt. Logging in and
    >> typing "startx" generates an error (sorry I can't remember the exact
    >> details, but I think it had something to do the nvidia driver).
    >>
    >> I think this was probably a result of an update to the nvidia
    >> graphics card. There were only 6 or 7 packages that were updated, and
    >> I think this was one of them. Does anyone know how I can correct
    >> this. I'm totally lost at this point. Fortunately my dual boot to
    >> Windows XP still works, which is how I'm able to communicate.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> Pat

    > Hi
    > Have a look here, use the hard (imho the easiest) way...:-)
    > http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA

    Thanks for the link. I installed the latest nvidia drivers and that
    fixed it! Needless to say, I'm very relieved! I'm new to Linux, and
    this issue had me worried. Fortunately it wasn't too hard to do. I
    discovered I could run Yast2 from the command line interface, and so did
    it the easy way (sorry ;^)) - used Yast to install the x11 and video
    card drivers and then ran "sax2 -r" to configure.

    In the future I'm going to be a little more careful about what I update
    though (not just blindly select it all).

    -Pat

  5. Re: Help! - Lost gui on openSUSE 10.2

    Broderick Crawford wrote:
    > Pat Kelecy wrote:
    >> After making some updates to the system (Packages > All Packages > Update if
    >> newer versions...) I lost the gui. When I start the system I get to the
    >> boot manager, as normal, but then from there (after selecting openSUSE) it
    >> boots into the command prompt. Logging in and typing "startx" generates an
    >> error (sorry I can't remember the exact details, but I think it had
    >> something to do the nvidia driver).
    >>
    >> I think this was probably a result of an update to the nvidia graphics card.
    >> There were only 6 or 7 packages that were updated, and I think this was one
    >> of them. Does anyone know how I can correct this. I'm totally lost at this
    >> point. Fortunately my dual boot to Windows XP still works, which is how I'm
    >> able to communicate.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> Pat
    >>

    > In /etc/X11 try renameing xorg.conf to xorg.bak and xorg.conf.install to
    > xorg.conf then reboot. If that don't fix it, put it back.
    >
    > nvidia updates don't usually krash the GUI, usually xorg updates do that.

    Thanks for the info. I got it fixed by updating the nvidia drivers per
    the link Malcolm provided. Fortunately that turned out to be easy to do
    (once I discovered there was a command line version of yast available).

    Pat

  6. Re: Help! - Lost gui on openSUSE 10.2

    Pat wrote:
    > Broderick Crawford wrote:
    >> Pat Kelecy wrote:
    >>> After making some updates to the system (Packages > All Packages > Update if
    >>> newer versions...) I lost the gui. When I start the system I get to the
    >>> boot manager, as normal, but then from there (after selecting openSUSE) it
    >>> boots into the command prompt. Logging in and typing "startx" generates an
    >>> error (sorry I can't remember the exact details, but I think it had
    >>> something to do the nvidia driver).
    >>>
    >>> I think this was probably a result of an update to the nvidia graphics card.
    >>> There were only 6 or 7 packages that were updated, and I think this was one
    >>> of them. Does anyone know how I can correct this. I'm totally lost at this
    >>> point. Fortunately my dual boot to Windows XP still works, which is how I'm
    >>> able to communicate.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help.
    >>>
    >>> Pat
    >>>

    >> In /etc/X11 try renameing xorg.conf to xorg.bak and xorg.conf.install to
    >> xorg.conf then reboot. If that don't fix it, put it back.
    >>
    >> nvidia updates don't usually krash the GUI, usually xorg updates do that.
    >>

    > Thanks for the info. I got it fixed by updating the nvidia drivers per
    > the link Malcolm provided. Fortunately that turned out to be easy to do
    > (once I discovered there was a command line version of yast available).
    >
    > Pat

    It would be a good idea to back up your config directory /etc in case
    something else gets blown out.

    --
    I'm glad scorpions don't fly.

    bcrawford

    The bottom line is....
    You do NOT have to maximize profits, find a balance.

  7. Re: Help! - Lost gui on openSUSE 10.2

    Broderick Crawford wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    >> Broderick Crawford wrote:

    >>> In /etc/X11 try renameing xorg.conf to xorg.bak and xorg.conf.install to
    >>> xorg.conf then reboot. If that don't fix it, put it back.
    >>>
    >>> nvidia updates don't usually krash the GUI, usually xorg updates do that.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the info. I got it fixed by updating the nvidia drivers per
    >> the link Malcolm provided. Fortunately that turned out to be easy to do
    >> (once I discovered there was a command line version of yast available).
    >>
    >> Pat

    > It would be a good idea to back up your config directory /etc in case
    > something else gets blown out.

    Yes, that would be a good idea. I definitely will.

    I'm probably fiddling with SUSE more than I should, given that I don't
    really know that well I'm doing. Updating in Windows was a little more
    straightforward, and less likely to break something, than it seems to be
    with SUSE (at least I don't recall ever breaking anything in Windows as
    a result of an update). Obviously SUSE is a different animal from
    Windows, so I need to keep that in mind.

    Pat

  8. Re: Help! - Lost gui on openSUSE 10.2

    Broderick Crawford wrote:
    > Pat Kelecy wrote:
    >> After making some updates to the system (Packages > All Packages > Update if
    >> newer versions...) I lost the gui. When I start the system I get to the
    >> boot manager, as normal, but then from there (after selecting openSUSE) it
    >> boots into the command prompt. Logging in and typing "startx" generates an
    >> error (sorry I can't remember the exact details, but I think it had
    >> something to do the nvidia driver).
    >>
    >> I think this was probably a result of an update to the nvidia graphics card.
    >> There were only 6 or 7 packages that were updated, and I think this was one
    >> of them. Does anyone know how I can correct this. I'm totally lost at this
    >> point. Fortunately my dual boot to Windows XP still works, which is how I'm
    >> able to communicate.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> Pat
    >>

    > In /etc/X11 try renameing xorg.conf to xorg.bak and xorg.conf.install to
    > xorg.conf then reboot. If that don't fix it, put it back.
    >
    > nvidia updates don't usually krash the GUI, usually xorg updates do that.

    Doesn't the doc that comes with the nvidia driver say that you need to
    re-compile whenever you update the kernel? I've been avoiding kernel
    updates just for that reason, but maybe I read it wrong. Guess I'll have
    to try it and see.

    buck

  9. Re: Help! - Lost gui on openSUSE 10.2

    Pat Kelecy wrote:
    > After making some updates to the system (Packages > All Packages > Update if
    > newer versions...) I lost the gui. When I start the system I get to the
    > boot manager, as normal, but then from there (after selecting openSUSE) it
    > boots into the command prompt. Logging in and typing "startx" generates an
    > error (sorry I can't remember the exact details, but I think it had
    > something to do the nvidia driver).
    >
    > I think this was probably a result of an update to the nvidia graphics card.
    > There were only 6 or 7 packages that were updated, and I think this was one
    > of them. Does anyone know how I can correct this. I'm totally lost at this
    > point. Fortunately my dual boot to Windows XP still works, which is how I'm
    > able to communicate.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    How to confiure the GUI.

    This answers how to configure the GUI when an installation or an upgrade
    does not show the GUI correctly. It will asume an installed system that
    (as far as you know) works perfectly.

    You will need root priveliges (know the root password) and the technical
    settings of your screen, so get that manual. If you don't have the
    manual, look it up. You are able tro post, so you have Internet
    connection.

    First do [CTRL][ALT][F1] to go to textmode. Don't be afraid, it is
    nothing scary. As user type `root` and type your password for root.
    Next type `init 3`. This will bring you to 100% textmode.
    Now run the command `sax2` and you should be able to configure your
    screen.
    If you do not find your screen and/or do not know your settings, start
    with the lowest ones and build your way up.

    When you have set up your screen and tested it, you just run the
    following command `init 5 && exit`. That will start up the GUI and if
    OK, log you out as root.

    If you still can't run the GUI but can run sax2 and the test at the end
    of sax2, it ain't a standard X issue.

    It can also be possible that sax2 does not work. Then you do `man sax2`
    and read it. Realy read it, because there will be a quiz later.

    Some ways to run SaX2 if the above does not work:
    `sax2 -b /usr/share/sax/profile/SomeProfil`
    Mainly for dual screen situations where the dual screen is not
    recognised.
    `sax2 -l` (Lowercase L not number one)
    For the lower resolution to be default. This can be usefull with
    newer screens that are not standard and did not bother to tell
    your software about the size it can handle
    `sax2 --vesa 0:1024x768@60`
    Run screen 0 (the first screen, 1 is the second) in resolution
    1024x768 at 60 Hz. Should be OK for most if not all LCD screens.

    Run the above and configure your screen(s). If it still ain't working,
    re-read the `sax2 man` page and try some of the other settings.

    If it does work, do `init 5 && exit`.

    Still problems? You can manualy configure it as well. Take a lot more
    information, so get back and tell us what you have done, your videocard
    and screen information, together with your SUSE version and wether or
    not it used to run before and if you have done an update of your system
    and if so, how.

    Aditional information might be needed as well.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  10. Re: Help! - Lost gui on openSUSE 10.2

    buck huffman wrote:
    > Broderick Crawford wrote:
    >> Pat Kelecy wrote:
    >>> After making some updates to the system (Packages > All Packages > Update if
    >>> newer versions...) I lost the gui. When I start the system I get to the
    >>> boot manager, as normal, but then from there (after selecting openSUSE) it
    >>> boots into the command prompt. Logging in and typing "startx" generates an
    >>> error (sorry I can't remember the exact details, but I think it had
    >>> something to do the nvidia driver).
    >>>
    >>> I think this was probably a result of an update to the nvidia graphics card.
    >>> There were only 6 or 7 packages that were updated, and I think this was one
    >>> of them. Does anyone know how I can correct this. I'm totally lost at this
    >>> point. Fortunately my dual boot to Windows XP still works, which is how I'm
    >>> able to communicate.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help.
    >>>
    >>> Pat
    >>>

    >> In /etc/X11 try renameing xorg.conf to xorg.bak and xorg.conf.install to
    >> xorg.conf then reboot. If that don't fix it, put it back.
    >>
    >> nvidia updates don't usually krash the GUI, usually xorg updates do that.
    >>

    > Doesn't the doc that comes with the nvidia driver say that you need to
    > re-compile whenever you update the kernel? I've been avoiding kernel
    > updates just for that reason, but maybe I read it wrong. Guess I'll have
    > to try it and see.
    >
    > buck

    Not if you use yast to do the update. But yes, if you did it manually.
    Recompile everytime there is an update. So ......why wouldn't you Yast?

    --
    I'm glad scorpions don't fly.

    bcrawford

    The bottom line is....
    You do NOT have to maximize profits, find a balance.

  11. Re: Help! - Lost gui on openSUSE 10.2

    Broderick Crawford wrote:
    > buck huffman wrote:
    >> Broderick Crawford wrote:

    >>> In /etc/X11 try renameing xorg.conf to xorg.bak and xorg.conf.install to
    >>> xorg.conf then reboot. If that don't fix it, put it back.
    >>>
    >>> nvidia updates don't usually krash the GUI, usually xorg updates do that.
    >>>

    >> Doesn't the doc that comes with the nvidia driver say that you need to
    >> re-compile whenever you update the kernel? I've been avoiding kernel
    >> updates just for that reason, but maybe I read it wrong. Guess I'll have
    >> to try it and see.
    >>
    >> buck

    > Not if you use yast to do the update. But yes, if you did it manually.
    > Recompile everytime there is an update. So ......why wouldn't you Yast?

    Yast wouldn't do the nvidia install for me, even the manual install
    refused to work, complained about a missing x11 config file. I can't
    remember how I finally got the file created but then it worked just
    fine, and I didn't feel like messing with it anymore. Sometimes stuff
    just happens I guess.

    buck

+ Reply to Thread