YAST broke on 10.2 - Suse

This is a discussion on YAST broke on 10.2 - Suse ; when I try to install any rpm using yast, the root password box comes up, I enter my password and nothing happens, the initializing window never appears unless I try to intall something else using yast, and then I get ...

  1. YAST broke on 10.2

    when I try to install any rpm using yast, the root password box comes up,
    I enter my password and nothing happens, the initializing window never
    appears unless I try to intall something else using yast, and then I get
    an error saying another process is accessing the package database. Any
    help would be appreciated.

  2. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    BA wrote:

    > when I try to install any rpm using yast, the root password box comes up,
    > I enter my password and nothing happens, the initializing window never
    > appears unless I try to intall something else using yast, and then I get
    > an error saying another process is accessing the package database. Any
    > help would be appreciated.

    You've got an instance of Yast running in the background already. If you're
    using kde then open Ksysguard and locate the running Yast instance. Open a
    terminal and login as root (su). Type

    kill (process id)

    So for instance if Yast is process ID 65000 then type

    kill 6500

    Make sure you kill all running Yast processes. Then, in the same terminal
    type

    rpm --rebuilddb

    When that completes close the terminal and run Yast again. It should be
    o.k. now.

  3. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 00:28:05 +0000, Michael Soibelman wrote

    > You've got an instance of Yast running in the background already. If
    > you're using kde then open Ksysguard and locate the running Yast instance.
    > Open a terminal and login as root (su). Type
    >
    > kill (process id)
    >
    > So for instance if Yast is process ID 65000 then type
    >
    > kill 6500
    >
    > Make sure you kill all running Yast processes. Then, in the same terminal
    > type
    >
    > rpm --rebuilddb

    Will give that a try and let you know if it works, thanks.

    > When that completes close the terminal and run Yast again. It should be
    > o.k. now.

  4. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    BA wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 00:28:05 +0000, Michael Soibelman wrote
    >>
    >> You've got an instance of Yast running in the background already. If
    >> you're using kde then open Ksysguard and locate the running Yast
    >> instance.
    >> Open a terminal and login as root (su). Type
    >>
    >> kill (process id)
    >>
    >> So for instance if Yast is process ID 65000 then type
    >>
    >> kill 6500
    >>
    >> Make sure you kill all running Yast processes. Then, in the same
    >> terminal type
    >>
    >> rpm --rebuilddb

    > Will give that a try and let you know if it works, thanks.
    >>
    >> When that completes close the terminal and run Yast again. It should be
    >> o.k. now.

    As a follow up I thought I'd mention this. The reason why this situation
    arises is that often someone will click a Yast sub-program (package
    management for instance) and will click twice !! That's a no-no. After
    clicking 'Package Management' you have to wait a while to see anything
    happen. Be patient. If you're not sure it's starting open Ksysguard and
    look to see if there are two Yast programs running. The first is Yast
    Control Center. The other is Yast 'something or rather'.. Don't remember
    exactly what it is now... Anyway, be careful to only click once in Yast
    Control Center..

  5. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >BA wrote:

    >> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 00:28:05 +0000, Michael Soibelman wrote
    >>>
    >>> You've got an instance of Yast running in the background already. If
    >>> you're using kde then open Ksysguard and locate the running Yast
    >>> instance.
    >>> Open a terminal and login as root (su). Type
    >>>
    >>> kill (process id)
    >>>
    >>> So for instance if Yast is process ID 65000 then type
    >>>
    >>> kill 6500
    >>>
    >>> Make sure you kill all running Yast processes. Then, in the same
    >>> terminal type
    >>>
    >>> rpm --rebuilddb

    >> Will give that a try and let you know if it works, thanks.
    >>>
    >>> When that completes close the terminal and run Yast again. It should be
    >>> o.k. now.

    >As a follow up I thought I'd mention this. The reason why this situation
    >arises is that often someone will click a Yast sub-program (package
    >management for instance) and will click twice !! That's a no-no. After
    >clicking 'Package Management' you have to wait a while to see anything
    >happen. Be patient. If you're not sure it's starting open Ksysguard and
    >look to see if there are two Yast programs running. The first is Yast
    >Control Center. The other is Yast 'something or rather'.. Don't remember
    >exactly what it is now... Anyway, be careful to only click once in Yast
    >Control Center..

    Bad programming. Yast should dump all other clicks until the
    subprogram is open or display a box asking the human what it
    wants to do.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  6. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > Bad programming. Yast should dump all other clicks until the
    > subprogram is open or display a box asking the human what it
    > wants to do.

    What is the bugreport on this? OTOH I have not exprienced it. When I do
    it, the second instance gives me an error that YaST is already busy with
    something.

    houghi
    --
    Please go to : http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y (Google site)
    and vote for 'Default quoting of previous message in replies'
    > This was a broadcast from the netpolice.

  7. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    houghi wrote:
    > Paul J Gans wrote:
    >> Bad programming. Yast should dump all other clicks until the
    >> subprogram is open or display a box asking the human what it
    >> wants to do.

    > What is the bugreport on this?

    I don't think it's a bug. It's "bad programming", or maybe "bad design"
    is a more appropriate description.

    Anyway, I was never able to install an RPM from Yast. It just hangs
    doing something.

  8. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Paul J Gans wrote:
    >>> Bad programming. Yast should dump all other clicks until the
    >>> subprogram is open or display a box asking the human what it
    >>> wants to do.

    >> What is the bugreport on this?

    > I don't think it's a bug. It's "bad programming", or maybe "bad design"
    > is a more appropriate description.

    Even then a bugreport can be created. I have file bugreports for e.g.
    having a colour on CLI for root. Not a bug but a feature request.

    > Anyway, I was never able to install an RPM from Yast. It just hangs
    > doing something.

    Apparantly nobody has the same issues or nobody thinks it is important
    enough to file a bugreport. ;-)
    Again, if nobody says anything, there is no issue. If it ain't in
    bugzilla, it ain't there.

    houghi
    --
    Please go to : http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y (Google site)
    and vote for 'Default quoting of previous message in replies'
    > This was a broadcast from the netpolice.

  9. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Paul J Gans wrote:-

    >Bad programming.

    If repeated clicks try and open the same module, maybe it is.

    >Yast should dump all other clicks until the
    >subprogram is open or display a box asking the human what it
    >wants to do.

    I'll disagree with that. There have been times where I've opened up
    YaST, double-clicked[0] to start package management then gone on to use
    another YaST module at the same time. Dumping all clicks, or putting up
    an alert box would stop me from doing this, and would be damn annoying.

    [0] One of the first things I do is reconfigure KDE to single-click
    being select and a double-click required to open things. Much more
    useful for me, and something I've been used to for nearly 20 years of
    GUI usage.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  10. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:-

    >I don't think it's a bug. It's "bad programming", or maybe "bad
    >design" is a more appropriate description.

    If you're using KDE (and maybe Gnome) the bad design is having only a
    single-click be required open a file or, in this situation, to start the
    module.

    >Anyway, I was never able to install an RPM from Yast. It just hangs
    >doing something.

    Probably because you've got zmd installed and it's doing whatever it
    likes to waste time doing. My suggestion would be the following:

    1, log out from the GUI;
    2, switch to a console (CTRL-ALT-F2) and log in as root;
    3, drop the system down to runlevel 1 using "init 1";
    4, log back in again as root, if required;
    5, start YaST -> Software -> Software management;
    6, press ALT-F and select patterns from the drop-down menu;
    7, de-select the Enterprise Software Management pattern;
    8, if it isn't already selected, select the openSUSE Software Management
    pattern;
    9, click/select accept and wait for YaST to install and/or remove the
    selected packages;
    10, quit YaST;
    11, jump back up to runlevel 3 using "init 3" if you use console-only
    log-ins, or runlevel 5 using "init 5" if you use a GUI log-in.

    After that, zmd won't be there to run, and my guess is that you should
    only have the occasional problem when you try installing software and
    the auto-update notification is checking for updates. This will probably
    be something like only once per day and, depending on how has your
    network connection is, should only take a short time.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  11. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:47:43 -0400, BA wrote:

    I killed ZMD, like someone suggested, but it didn't help. When I open
    system gaurd (after entering root password) after trying to install an rpm
    using yast, yast does not appear in the list of processes.

    > when I try to install any rpm using yast, the root password box comes up,
    > I enter my password and nothing happens, the initializing window never
    > appears unless I try to intall something else using yast, and then I get
    > an error saying another process is accessing the package database. Any
    > help would be appreciated.

  12. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    BA wrote:

    Please do not top post.

    houghi
    --
    Please go to : http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y (Google site)
    and vote for 'Default quoting of previous message in replies'
    > This was a broadcast from the netpolice.

  13. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:00:07 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > BA wrote:
    >
    > Please do not top post.
    >
    > houghi

    Sorry,didn't pay any attention, my newsreader used to warn me after I hit
    send, if I was top posting.

  14. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, BA wrote:-

    Please don't top-post. Apart from breaking up a conversation, it makes
    it harder to address comments you make in relation to the previous
    posters article. Also, some (knowledgeable) people consider it rude,
    myself included[0], and they may refrain from offering the help you
    need.

    >I killed ZMD, like someone suggested, but it didn't help. When I open
    >system gaurd (after entering root password) after trying to install an rpm
    >using yast, yast does not appear in the list of processes.

    Okay, try this:

    Open a root console and type "rcnovell-zmd stop" . This will stop the
    zmd daemon from running.

    In that same console, type "killall y2base" . This will kill any running
    YaST2 sessions, even if you can't see them.

    Next, type "killall -TERM rpm" . This will kill any instances of rpm
    that may be running in the background.

    Type "yast" to start up YaST and try again with the package management.
    If it now works, remove the pattern "Enterprise Software Management"
    and, if it isn't already installed, add the pattern "openSUSE Software
    Management"

    If it doesn't work, and you do have the openSUSE updater installed, it's
    possible that this is what's blocking YaST from performing software
    maintenance. You can check that by killing it from the task bar, and
    then waiting a minute or two before trying YaST again.

    [0] I consider it rude[1] as it infers that the poster thinks either
    their words are more important than the poster they are replying to, or
    it's not worth the effort to use the cursor keys and delete key to
    delete the text that they aren't replying to. As for whether I'm
    considered knowledgeable, that's entirely the readers opinion.

    [1] It also means I have to expend extra effort looking at what they
    wrote, then looking down the post to see what they were commenting
    on[2], so I can make a new comment.

    [2] And sometimes what they are commenting on, isn't what's actually
    written, but they're commenting on what they _think_ is written.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  15. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    David Bolt wrote:
    >On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Paul J Gans wrote:-

    >>Bad programming.

    >If repeated clicks try and open the same module, maybe it is.

    >>Yast should dump all other clicks until the
    >>subprogram is open or display a box asking the human what it
    >>wants to do.

    >I'll disagree with that. There have been times where I've opened up
    >YaST, double-clicked[0] to start package management then gone on to use
    >another YaST module at the same time. Dumping all clicks, or putting up
    >an alert box would stop me from doing this, and would be damn annoying.

    >[0] One of the first things I do is reconfigure KDE to single-click
    >being select and a double-click required to open things. Much more
    >useful for me, and something I've been used to for nearly 20 years of
    >GUI usage.

    >Regards,
    > David Bolt

    I think that the OP was talking about a second launch of the
    same module.

    That actually doesn't happen to me. On the few YAST modules
    I've tried it on, it simply launched a second window. That's
    a bit dumb, but nothing is perfect.

    I agree about launching a different module being OK *if* YAST
    is smart enough to attempt only one update of sysconfig at a
    time. And I'd worry about conflicting changes because that
    might create a race condition. But I assume that the YAST
    designers have thought of that.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  16. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:16:00 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    > [0] One of the first things I do is reconfigure KDE to single-click
    > being
    > select and a double-click required to open things. Much more useful for
    > me, and something I've been used to for nearly 20 years of GUI usage.

    Do you recall where the setting to disable "Busy Cursor" is. I just had
    it the other day and need it again and for some damn reason I can't find
    it. Most likely it's my vision as I have astigmatism.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  17. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Ron Gibson wrote:-

    >On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 13:16:00 +0100, David Bolt wrote:
    >
    >> [0] One of the first things I do is reconfigure KDE to single-click
    >> being
    >> select and a double-click required to open things. Much more useful for
    >> me, and something I've been used to for nearly 20 years of GUI usage.

    >Do you recall where the setting to disable "Busy Cursor" is. I just had
    >it the other day and need it again and for some damn reason I can't find
    >it. Most likely it's my vision as I have astigmatism.

    Open up the Control centre -> Appearance & Themes -> Launch Feedback

    Options are "No Busy Cursor" "Passive Busy Cursor" "Blinking Cursor" and
    "Bouncing Cursor"

    To require a double-click, it's under Control centre -> Peripherals ->
    Mouse.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  18. Re: YAST broke on 10.2

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:06:53 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    > Open up the Control centre -> Appearance & Themes -> Launch Feedback

    > Options are "No Busy Cursor" "Passive Busy Cursor" "Blinking Cursor" and
    > "Bouncing Cursor"

    Tanks :-)

    That was driving me nutz.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg