Upgrading from Suse 9.3 to OpenSuse 10 - Suse

This is a discussion on Upgrading from Suse 9.3 to OpenSuse 10 - Suse ; I have been using Suse 9.3 for over two years now, and naturally I have a whole bunch of packages and other (ie. not from a suse repository) software installed. The more time passes, the clearer it's becoming that support ...

  1. Upgrading from Suse 9.3 to OpenSuse 10

    I have been using Suse 9.3 for over two years now, and naturally
    I have a whole bunch of packages and other (ie. not from a suse
    repository) software installed.

    The more time passes, the clearer it's becoming that support and
    upgrades for Suse 9.3 will inevitably stop some time in the future
    (in the exact same way that you can't find basically no Suse 8
    repositories anymore anywhere). In fact, this is partially already
    the case, one example being gcc 4 not being available for Suse 9.3
    (at least not from any repository I know). Also some software binary
    distributions are made only for OpenSuse 10 but not for Suse 9.3
    (skype being one good example).

    The more time passes, the more this lack of support is starting to
    seriously bother me. Thus I would like to upgrade to OpenSuse 10.
    But how do I do that? A direct upgrade over the existing Suse 9.3
    installation is officially not supported nor recommended.
    A fresh install on a cleaned system would be bothersome because
    I will lose all the packages and software I have been installing
    (and using) over the years. It would require me to reinstall
    everything "by hand", a rather laborious task.

    What to do? Any recommendations?

  2. Re: Upgrading from Suse 9.3 to OpenSuse 10

    Hi,

    Juha Nieminen schrieb:
    > The more time passes, the clearer it's becoming that support and
    > upgrades for Suse 9.3 will inevitably stop some time in the future

    or past... april 15th 2007
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-a.../msg00002.html

    Recommend a clean install of the current latest release and moving
    user/server data.

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  3. Re: Upgrading from Suse 9.3 to OpenSuse 10

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > The more time passes, the more this lack of support is starting to
    > seriously bother me. Thus I would like to upgrade to OpenSuse 10.
    > But how do I do that? A direct upgrade over the existing Suse 9.3
    > installation is officially not supported nor recommended.

    Indeed.

    > A fresh install on a cleaned system would be bothersome because
    > I will lose all the packages and software I have been installing
    > (and using) over the years. It would require me to reinstall
    > everything "by hand", a rather laborious task.

    Yes, it would be bothersome a bit.

    > What to do? Any recommendations?

    What I do is have a seperate partition for "the other" installation.
    That way I dualboot and still have all the old programs and settings. I
    then copy all programs I actualy need to the new place.

    This includes scripts and so on. I can then also see what programs I
    really need and want and some of them will be available with YaST after
    adding the repo's anyway. Others I can just use the RPM's I already
    have.

    Only very few I need to search online, but most will just work when I
    copy them.

    For me this is the most efficient way of upgrading. It cleans things uo
    a serious bit.

    Also now /home will be on a seperate partition. If that is not the case
    with you, it is wise to start thinking about doing that now anyway.
    4 partitions: swap, /, /for_the_future and /home

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  4. Re: Upgrading from Suse 9.3 to OpenSuse 10

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > I have been using Suse 9.3 for over two years now, and naturally
    > I have a whole bunch of packages and other (ie. not from a suse
    > repository) software installed.
    >
    > The more time passes, the clearer it's becoming that support and
    > upgrades for Suse 9.3 will inevitably stop some time in the future
    > (in the exact same way that you can't find basically no Suse 8
    > repositories anymore anywhere). In fact, this is partially already
    > the case, one example being gcc 4 not being available for Suse 9.3
    > (at least not from any repository I know). Also some software binary
    > distributions are made only for OpenSuse 10 but not for Suse 9.3
    > (skype being one good example).
    >
    > The more time passes, the more this lack of support is starting to
    > seriously bother me. Thus I would like to upgrade to OpenSuse 10.
    > But how do I do that? A direct upgrade over the existing Suse 9.3
    > installation is officially not supported nor recommended.
    > A fresh install on a cleaned system would be bothersome because
    > I will lose all the packages and software I have been installing
    > (and using) over the years. It would require me to reinstall
    > everything "by hand", a rather laborious task.
    >
    > What to do? Any recommendations?

    To be honest: I started my home server with suse9.x (don't remember
    which version exactly) and I have upgraded them up to 10.2 without a
    problem.

    As far as I know upgrades are supported ....

    Regards,
    Han

  5. Re: Upgrading from Suse 9.3 to OpenSuse 10

    Juha Nieminen wrote:

    > I have been using Suse 9.3 for over two years now, and naturally
    > I have a whole bunch of packages and other (ie. not from a suse
    > repository) software installed.
    >
    > The more time passes, the clearer it's becoming that support and
    > upgrades for Suse 9.3 will inevitably stop some time in the future
    > (in the exact same way that you can't find basically no Suse 8
    > repositories anymore anywhere). In fact, this is partially already
    > the case, one example being gcc 4 not being available for Suse 9.3
    > (at least not from any repository I know). Also some software binary
    > distributions are made only for OpenSuse 10 but not for Suse 9.3
    > (skype being one good example).
    >
    > The more time passes, the more this lack of support is starting to
    > seriously bother me. Thus I would like to upgrade to OpenSuse 10.
    > But how do I do that? A direct upgrade over the existing Suse 9.3
    > installation is officially not supported nor recommended.
    > A fresh install on a cleaned system would be bothersome because
    > I will lose all the packages and software I have been installing
    > (and using) over the years. It would require me to reinstall
    > everything "by hand", a rather laborious task.
    >
    > What to do? Any recommendations?

    I have always avoided upgrading over an existing installation. Perhaps it
    would work, but I worry that I might end up without a working system.
    Instead, I start a completely new installation on a new pair of partitions
    (one root and one for /home). I copy /home from the old installation to the
    new /home.

    If anything goes wrong, I can boot into the old installation exactly as it
    was.

    It is true that there is an overhead in rebuilding packages 'by hand'. My
    view is that since I only do this occasionally, its a price worth paying to
    keep the installation simple without trying to mix elements from different
    installations.

    I do as much as I can through YaST to keep the installation as clean and
    simple as possible. If I have to do anything special (eg to get multimedia
    to work or to stop Beagle or zmd eating up my CPU cycles) I keep records so
    that I'll remember what I did for next time.

    Chris Gordon-Smith
    www.simsoup.info

  6. Re: Upgrading from Suse 9.3 to OpenSuse 10

    > houghi

    Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

    Nothing patriotic about it. It's the communist act in disguise.

    --
    I'm glad scorpions don't fly.

    bcrawford

    The bottom line is....
    You do NOT have to maximize profits, find a balance.

  7. Re: Upgrading from Suse 9.3 to OpenSuse 10

    Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > The more time passes, the clearer it's becoming that support and
    > upgrades for Suse 9.3 will inevitably stop some time in the future
    > (in the exact same way that you can't find basically no Suse 8
    > repositories anymore anywhere).

    Well, this just in on the announce mailinglist
    "opensuse-security-announce" :

    Subject: [security-announce]
    SUSE Linux 9.3 security support is now discontinued.

    Hi,

    With todays release of the CUPS bugfix/security fix update we have
    released the last security update for SUSE Linux 9.3.

    It is now officially discontinued and out of support.

    Notable is the reduction of kernel security updates.

    Otherwise a slight increase of the total number of security issues
    is apparent.

    SUSE Linux 9.3 was released begin of April 2005.

    Total: 654 (320 active) (+73)
    Security: 498 (211 active) (+11)
    Recommended: 108 ( 68 active) (+34)
    Optional: 48 ( 41 active) (+28)

    Top issues (compared to 9.2):
    17 clamav (+1)
    15 apache2-mod_php4 (+1)
    13 MozillaFirefox (+-0)
    12 php5 (new)
    12 opera (+1)
    10 kernel (-7)
    9 squirrelmail (+2)
    9 ethereal (-1)
    8 phpMyAdmin (-1)
    8 mediawiki (new)
    7 xine-lib (+3)
    7 MozillaThunderbird (+1)
    7 ImageMagick (+2)
    6 xorg-x11-server (+-0)
    6 ruby (+1)
    6 OpenOffice_org (new)
    6 mozilla (+1)
    6 kdelibs3 (+-0)
    6 horde (+1)
    6 gpg2 (+1)
    6 gpg (+1)
    6 apache2 (-1)
    5 spamassassin (+2)
    5 postgresql (+-0)
    5 OpenOffice_org1 (+1)
    5 java-1_5_0-sun (new)
    5 java-1_4_2-sun (+-0)
    5 acroread (+-0)

    Ciao, Marcus

    And while I am at it, why not subscribe to al least opensuse-announce
    and opensuse-security-announce. They are pretty low volume and yet still
    interesting to recieve. http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/ for all

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  8. Re: Upgrading from Suse 9.3 to OpenSuse 10

    Broderick Crawford wrote:

    >> houghi

    > Knock-knock.
    >> Who's there?
    >> Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

    > Nothing patriotic about it. It's the communist act in disguise.

    In Soviet America, the governement watches you.

    (The thing behind th line is escaped /.)
    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

+ Reply to Thread