Not able to burn with K3b - Suse

This is a discussion on Not able to burn with K3b - Suse ; I am unable to burn anything with K3b. Each time I get the error: Found media: Ni Media Please insert an empty Double Layer DVD±R medium into drive DVDRW 18x18x12x (/dev/hdg) The rror log shows: System ----------------------- K3b Version: 0.12.17 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

  1. Not able to burn with K3b

    I am unable to burn anything with K3b. Each time I get the error:
    Found media: Ni Media
    Please insert an empty Double
    Layer DVD±R medium into drive
    DVDRW 18x18x12x (/dev/hdg)

    The rror log shows:
    System
    -----------------------
    K3b Version: 0.12.17

    KDE Version: 3.5.5 "release 45.2"
    QT Version: 3.3.7
    Kernel: 2.6.18.2-34-default
    Devices
    -----------------------
    DVDRW 18X18X12X ZA32 (/dev/hdg, ) at [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM;
    DVD-RAM; DVD-R; DVD-RW; DVD-R DL; DVD+R; DVD+RW; DVD+R DL] [DVD-ROM;
    DVD-R Sequential; DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential; DVD-R Dual Layer Jump;
    DVD-RAM; DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite; DVD-RW Sequential; DVD+RW; DVD+R;
    DVD+R Double Layer; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96P;
    SAO/R96R; RAW/R16; RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R; Restricted Overwrite; Layer Jump]

    SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616Q F403 (/dev/hdd, ) at /media/dvdrecorder [CD-ROM;
    DVD-ROM] [DVD-ROM; CD-ROM] [None]
    AOPEN DUW1616/ARR 1000 (/dev/hdc, ) at /media/dvd [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM;
    DVD-ROM; DVD-R; DVD-RW; DVD+R; DVD+RW; DVD+R DL] [DVD-ROM; DVD-R
    Sequential; DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite; DVD-RW Sequential; DVD+RW;
    DVD+R; DVD+R Double Layer; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW;
    SAO/R96P; SAO/R96R; RAW/R96R; Restricted Overwrite]
    K3b
    -----------------------
    Size of filesystem calculated: 1809405

    mkisofs
    -----------------------
    1809405

    I have tried with both DVD players and the disks I have used I have
    burned with success in the past. I have the following disks:
    Verbatim 4.7GB 16x DVD+Recordable
    Nashua 4.7GB 8x DVD-R

    I have used several disks, but each gave the same error.

    I also get the following errormessage in /var/log/warn:
    Jun 17 10:04:11 penne kernel: hdg: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears
    confused (ireason = 0x01). Trying to recover by ending request

    If the drive is confused, how should I feel. :-(

    Any ideas?

    houghi
    --
    If God doesn't destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and
    Gomorrah an apology.

  2. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On 2007-06-17, houghi wrote:

    > I am unable to burn anything with K3b. Each time I get the error:

    I don't think it'll help, because the confused drive'. :-)
    But just in case you're try ing this from your new alpha release:
    I had a problem re-writing RW devices because the overwrite opton was not
    selected, and the existing volume was not a multi-session one.

    Just my .02 EUR...

    PS: how do you get at /dev/hdg ? A second double-channel IDE controller ?

    Douglas Adams

  3. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Rikishi 42 wrote:
    > On 2007-06-17, houghi wrote:
    >>

    >> I am unable to burn anything with K3b. Each time I get the error:

    > I don't think it'll help, because the confused drive'. :-)
    > But just in case you're try ing this from your new alpha release:
    > I had a problem re-writing RW devices because the overwrite opton was not
    > selected, and the existing volume was not a multi-session one.

    No, standard 10.2

    > Just my .02 EUR...
    >

    > PS: how do you get at /dev/hdg ? A second double-channel IDE controller ?

    Yes. Just plugged it in and it worked. It is a Promise Ultra 133 TX2.
    Just pop it in and you can add your IDE HD's that you have around.

    A new mobo will most likely contain some SATA or whatever it will have,
    but I can alwaus use my old IDE dirves, if I so desire.
    http://www.promise.com/product/produ...?product_id=87

    houghi
    --
    If God doesn't destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and
    Gomorrah an apology.

  4. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On 2007-06-17, houghi wrote:
    >> PS: how do you get at /dev/hdg ? A second double-channel IDE controller ?

    > Yes. Just plugged it in and it worked. It is a Promise Ultra 133 TX2.
    > Just pop it in and you can add your IDE HD's that you have around.
    >
    > A new mobo will most likely contain some SATA or whatever it will have,
    > but I can alwaus use my old IDE dirves, if I so desire.
    > http://www.promise.com/product/produ...?product_id=87

    While we're on the subject of hardware... Where do you shop for a keyboard?

    Mine's getting (very) old, I'd like to replace it.

    Criteria are:
    - PS/2 if possible, USB if I have to
    - Hard, clicking motion, for speed
    - No gadget keys, simple layout
    - AZERTY (I know "real" hackers use QWERTY, but my work requires accents)

    Ah, where are they days of my first Cherry keyboard, on my 486.
    Or the first PC one Y used, on an IBM XT. With the funtion keys to the side,
    where they belong. :-)

    Douglas Adams

  5. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Rikishi 42 wrote:
    > While we're on the subject of hardware... Where do you shop for a keyboard?

    I don't. I have two Happy Hacker keyboards.

    > Ah, where are they days of my first Cherry keyboard, on my 486.
    > Or the first PC one Y used, on an IBM XT. With the funtion keys to the side,
    > where they belong. :-)

    Function keys? I don't need no function keys.

    houghi
    --
    If God doesn't destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and
    Gomorrah an apology.

  6. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    houghi wrote:

    > I am unable to burn anything with K3b. Each time I get the error:
    > Found media: Ni Media
    > Please insert an empty Double
    > Layer DVD±R medium into drive
    > DVDRW 18x18x12x (/dev/hdg)
    >
    > The rror log shows:
    > System
    > -----------------------
    > K3b Version: 0.12.17
    >
    > KDE Version: 3.5.5 "release 45.2"
    > QT Version: 3.3.7
    > Kernel: 2.6.18.2-34-default
    > Devices
    > -----------------------
    > DVDRW 18X18X12X ZA32 (/dev/hdg, ) at [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM;
    > DVD-RAM; DVD-R; DVD-RW; DVD-R DL; DVD+R; DVD+RW; DVD+R DL] [DVD-ROM;
    > DVD-R Sequential; DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential; DVD-R Dual Layer Jump;
    > DVD-RAM; DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite; DVD-RW Sequential; DVD+RW; DVD+R;
    > DVD+R Double Layer; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96P;
    > SAO/R96R; RAW/R16; RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R; Restricted Overwrite; Layer Jump]
    >
    > SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616Q F403 (/dev/hdd, ) at /media/dvdrecorder [CD-ROM;
    > DVD-ROM] [DVD-ROM; CD-ROM] [None]
    > AOPEN DUW1616/ARR 1000 (/dev/hdc, ) at /media/dvd [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM;
    > DVD-ROM; DVD-R; DVD-RW; DVD+R; DVD+RW; DVD+R DL] [DVD-ROM; DVD-R
    > Sequential; DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite; DVD-RW Sequential; DVD+RW;
    > DVD+R; DVD+R Double Layer; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW;
    > SAO/R96P; SAO/R96R; RAW/R96R; Restricted Overwrite]
    > K3b
    > -----------------------
    > Size of filesystem calculated: 1809405
    >
    > mkisofs
    > -----------------------
    > 1809405
    >
    > I have tried with both DVD players and the disks I have used I have
    > burned with success in the past. I have the following disks:
    > Verbatim 4.7GB 16x DVD+Recordable
    > Nashua 4.7GB 8x DVD-R
    >
    > I have used several disks, but each gave the same error.
    >
    > I also get the following errormessage in /var/log/warn:
    > Jun 17 10:04:11 penne kernel: hdg: cdrom_pc_intr: The drive appears
    > confused (ireason = 0x01). Trying to recover by ending request
    >
    > If the drive is confused, how should I feel. :-(
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > houghi

    Make sure you do not use auto media and auto speed. Use the tao/dao option
    instead. I noted that in a thread last year sometime.
    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  7. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Darrell Stec wrote:
    > Make sure you do not use auto media and auto speed. Use the tao/dao option
    > instead. I noted that in a thread last year sometime.

    Same difference. I also put a writer in my enclosure and it does the
    same there. So no difference where it is. I have tried cdrecord now and
    that gives the following:

    Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
    Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE FORCESPEED
    Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P
    RAW/R96R
    FIFO size : 4194304 = 4096 KB
    Track 01: data 3533 MB
    Total size: 4058 MB (402:05.42) = 1809407 sectors
    Lout start: 4058 MB (402:07/32) = 1809407 sectors
    wodim: Input/output error. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd: no error
    CDB: 00 00 00 00 00 00
    status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
    Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 3A 00 00 00
    Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
    Sense Code: 0x3A Qual 0x00 (medium not present) Fru 0x0
    Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
    cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 40s
    wodim: No disk / Wrong disk!

    It then opens and out pops the empty DVD

    houghi
    --
    If God doesn't destroy Hollywood Boulevard, he owes Sodom and
    Gomorrah an apology.

  8. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:37:44 +0200, houghi wrote:

    snip
    > cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 40s wodim: No disk / Wrong disk!
    >
    > It then opens and out pops the empty DVD
    >
    > houghi

    When k3b has failed I've used with success

    growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
    /data8/dvd.16094/makeSUSEdvd-Linux-10.3-Alpha3-DVD.iso

    Your path will be different.

  9. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:25:53 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> PS: how do you get at /dev/hdg ? A second double-channel IDE controller

    > Yes. Just plugged it in and it worked. It is a Promise Ultra 133 TX2.
    > Just pop it in and you can add your IDE HD's that you have around.

    > A new mobo will most likely contain some SATA or whatever it will have,
    > but I can always use my old IDE drives, if I so desire.
    > http://www.promise.com/product/produ...?product_id=87

    I have several extra HD's all EIDE so I use the same controller. You
    might want to string your main HD off of the controller if it's EIDE.
    I've found the Promise controllers are faster than almost all chipset
    EIDE interfaces. String the optical drives off of the mobo controller.
    Don't worry about /dev/hda becoming hde or hdg. This line takes care of
    that in your kernel...

    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD=y

    Boots off board controller if found first and if bootable media is
    present.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  10. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:04:56 +0200, Rikishi 42 wrote:

    > While we're on the subject of hardware... Where do you shop for a
    > keyboard?

    Why don't you like the trash they sell in stores :-)

    > Mine's getting (very) old, I'd like to replace it.

    > Criteria are:
    > - PS/2 if possible, USB if I have to
    > - Hard, clicking motion, for speed
    > - No gadget keys, simple layout
    > - AZERTY (I know "real" hackers use QWERTY, but my work requires accents)

    > Ah, where are they days of my first Cherry keyboard, on my 486. Or the
    > first PC one Y used, on an IBM XT. With the function keys to the side,
    > where they belong. :-)

    The Flea Markets. I buy them all the time locally for $3-$4. My favorites
    are the old Compaq or IBM keyboards. I like the big backspace
    keys. In general the newer keybards have a sloppy touch and smaller
    keys making it tough for me to type as I "ham fisted".

    These guys recycle throwaways. If I see more than one I like I buy 3 or
    4 ands save them for when I need them as I wear out keyboards.

    Be sure to check the keys and make sure none stick and check the little
    flip out stands on the bottom so you can set it up tilted. Also inspect
    PS/2 connector and make sure it's OK, no bent pins, etc.

    I've even seen the real old types you speak of at the Flea Market.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  11. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > I have several extra HD's all EIDE so I use the same controller. You
    > might want to string your main HD off of the controller if it's EIDE.
    > I've found the Promise controllers are faster than almost all chipset
    > EIDE interfaces. String the optical drives off of the mobo controller.
    > Don't worry about /dev/hda becoming hde or hdg. This line takes care of
    > that in your kernel...
    >
    > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD=y

    I have never compiled a kernel that worked and I have no time to start
    now. :-/
    Also I have no idea wether I have IDE or EIDE and am not very
    interested to know.
    Also I have no idea what "string your main HD off of the controller"
    means.
    Also the speed restriction is mainly PEBCAK. ;-)

    Thanks for the tip. Perhaps somebody else will use it, but I pass.

    houghi
    --
    Please go to : http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y (Google site)
    and vote for 'Default quoting of previous message in replies'
    > This was a broadcast from the netpolice.

  12. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > These guys recycle throwaways. If I see more than one I like I buy 3 or
    > 4 ands save them for when I need them as I wear out keyboards.

    I have never worn out a keyboard. I have replaced them, but never have
    worn one out.

    houghi
    --
    Please go to : http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y (Google site)
    and vote for 'Default quoting of previous message in replies'
    > This was a broadcast from the netpolice.

  13. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:11:26 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD=y

    > I have never compiled a kernel that worked and I have no time to start
    > now. :-/

    Ahh geez, it's in the default compile.

    Open mc
    cd /proc
    scroll down to config.gz and hit enter
    F7 - Search on offboard

    All that does is prove it to yourself that it's enabled as it is in every
    "Stock" kernel supplied with *every* distro I've seen in the last two
    years.

    IOW, you need to do nothing but remember Linux is the child of Linus who
    built the KERNEL - Seems like that might be important knowledge of to me.

    > Also I have no idea wether I have IDE or EIDE and am not very
    > interested to know.

    Sigh...If it was made in the last 6 or 7 years (maybe more, I forgot)
    it's EIDE (PATA), SCSI or SATA if it's a drive that has spinning
    platters.

    You aren't running an MFM drive are you :-)

    hdparm -I /dev/ |less
    where XXX = Your HD

    > Also I have no idea what "string your main HD off of the controller"
    > means.

    How in the world did you ever install the Promise controller? String -
    HD slang for attaching data cable. Sorry for the shop talk. One of my
    friends was an Engineer at Western Digital.

    > Thanks for the tip. Perhaps somebody else will use it, but I pass.

    OK.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  14. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:11:26 +0200, houghi wrote:
    >
    >>> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_OFFBOARD=y

    >> I have never compiled a kernel that worked and I have no time to start
    >> now. :-/

    > Ahh geez, it's in the default compile.
    >
    > Open mc
    > cd /proc
    > scroll down to config.gz and hit enter
    > F7 - Search on offboard

    As I would have no knowledge as how this would end up doing thing, I had
    no intention to change anything. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

    However I looked (must be the first time I actualy enter /proc. The
    thing seems to be as is above.

    > All that does is prove it to yourself that it's enabled as it is in every
    > "Stock" kernel supplied with *every* distro I've seen in the last two
    > years.

    Well, I have no way of verifying this, so I will take your word for it.

    > IOW, you need to do nothing but remember Linux is the child of Linus who
    > built the KERNEL - Seems like that might be important knowledge of to me.

    No idea what the above means.

    > Sigh...If it was made in the last 6 or 7 years (maybe more, I forgot)
    > it's EIDE (PATA), SCSI or SATA if it's a drive that has spinning
    > platters.

    I always called them IDE and people where I bought them sold be HD's
    that do work. I know it isn't SCSI and it isn't SATA, so to me it is IDE
    and it works.

    > You aren't running an MFM drive are you :-)

    Well, I don't know what that is, so perhaps.

    > hdparm -I /dev/ |less
    > where XXX = Your HD

    As I said, I am not seriously interested in it.

    > How in the world did you ever install the Promise controller?

    shutdown, open box, enter card, connect cables, close box, boot. Is
    there another way?

    ASs you can tell, I am completely a n00b when it comes to hardware. When
    I need something, I look wether it is suported under Linux, buy it and
    that is about it. Apart from my WinTV PVR, everything just worked out of
    the box.

    This is only my second issue (the other being the TV card) where I have
    issues with my hardware and as it worked before, I am not sure where to
    look. I even bought a new DVD burner, because I tought it was a hardware
    issue. Bought new discs, because I thought that might have been the
    problem.

    houghi
    --
    Please go to : http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y (Google site)
    and vote for 'Default quoting of previous message in replies'
    > This was a broadcast from the netpolice.

  15. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > The Flea Markets. I buy them all the time locally for $3-$4. My favorites
    > are the old Compaq or IBM keyboards. I like the big backspace
    > keys. In general the newer keybards have a sloppy touch and smaller
    > keys making it tough for me to type as I "ham fisted".

    I was working at MCI when they "retired" a bunch of old ATs - the ones with
    the cast metal keyboards which weigh a ton. You can't beat the feel of
    those keys and the kb definitely doesn't move on the desk unless you really
    want it to. I think I came away with a dozen or so of those jewels -
    figured that if one was bad I could use another boat anchor . Even the
    IBM laptop keyboards have a better feel than most others. I made up a
    couple of cables to get the ps/2 style connectors and just swap it into the
    next one if I have to change. Those things are so solid that running
    through the dishwasher to clean it is viable. And I have never seen one
    where the labels wore off the keys like some of the newer cheapies.

    --
    Will Honea

  16. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Will Honea wrote: i
    > And I have never seen one where the labels wore off the keys like some
    > of the newer cheapies.

    Some people have a more acid sweat then others. This will cause the wear
    of letters on keyboards. I have seen one guy who went true 2 keybords in
    about 6 months. Nothing he (or the keyborad company) could do.

    Yes, this will happen easier with cheaper ones. It also explains why one
    person has no problem and the other has. You can imagine that it took
    some strange ways to find out where the problem came from.

    houghi
    --
    Please go to : http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y (Google site)
    and vote for 'Default quoting of previous message in replies'
    > This was a broadcast from the netpolice.

  17. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:13:39 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> IOW, you need to do nothing but remember Linux is the child of Linus who
    >> built the KERNEL - Seems like that might be important knowledge of to
    >> me.

    > No idea what the above means.

    Two things. The kernel supplies that enable you to use the hardware. If
    you go out and buy a nice shiny brand new machine and it doesn't work...
    YOU haven't done your work.

    Being naive will bite you in the ass every time.

    Subscribing to that as the way to approach Linux is seriously wrong and a
    bad example for others. I've seen hundreds of posts on resolving hardware
    issues on a kernel level.

    If this sounds like a scolding it is. Knowing your hardware is VITAL on
    a machine on which you install an OS and the knowledge of what the
    Linux Kernel supports is also VITAL.

    So while you can take whatever approach you like for the sake of others
    I strongly suggest they know their hardware and find out if it's
    supported. Entire websites are devoted to these issues like...

    http://www.linuxcompatible.org/
    http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

    You said you wanted to learn. Were you serious?

    Those people that don't want to know what they are running will do
    better to buy a PC with the OS preloaded.

    And BTW, I post for the sake of all and often include extra information.
    This helps others who *do* want to learn to be more
    knowledgable penguin people when they google.

    In fact right now you have a hardware issue. Good luck.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  18. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:34:48 -0600, Will Honea wrote:

    >> The Flea Markets. I buy them all the time locally for $3-$4. My
    >> favorites are the old Compaq or IBM keyboards. I like the big backspace

    > I was working at MCI when they "retired" a bunch of old ATs - the ones
    > with the cast metal keyboards which weigh a ton. You can't beat the feel
    > of those keys and the kb definitely doesn't move on the desk unless you

    Boy I'd like to have one of those :-)

    > And I have never seen one where the labels wore off the keys like
    > some of the newer cheapies.

    That's what happens to mine - I wear off the lettering and I'm not a
    good enough typist to where I don't ever have to look at the keys.

    BTW, Will, which NG have I seen you around in. Your name sure seems
    familiar.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  19. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >However I looked (must be the first time I actualy enter /proc. The
    >thing seems to be as is above.

    You're missing some interesting, or completely boring, stuff by at least
    not peeking.

    >> All that does is prove it to yourself that it's enabled as it is in every
    >> "Stock" kernel supplied with *every* distro I've seen in the last two
    >> years.

    >Well, I have no way of verifying this, so I will take your word for it.

    I can go back as far as a running 9.0[0] system and it's present in the
    config.gz there. It's also present in 9.1[0], 9.3[0], 10.0, 10.1, 10.2
    and 10.3 kernels.

    >> Sigh...If it was made in the last 6 or 7 years (maybe more, I forgot)
    >> it's EIDE (PATA), SCSI or SATA if it's a drive that has spinning
    >> platters.

    >I always called them IDE and people where I bought them sold be HD's
    >that do work. I know it isn't SCSI and it isn't SATA, so to me it is IDE
    >and it works.

    I call them IDE as well, even though they should be called PATA.

    >> You aren't running an MFM drive are you :-)

    >Well, I don't know what that is, so perhaps.

    A very old format, with absolutely huge sizes of upto 100MB. It was
    superseded by RLL drives, which had around a 50% increase is capacity,
    and ranged upto 200MB. These were then superseded ESDI, then IDE, then
    EIDE. And you can tell if a drive is EIDE as hdparm will only show it
    having support for the ATA-2 or ATA-3 standards. If it supports a later
    standard, it's not really an EIDE device.

    >shutdown, open box, enter card, connect cables, close box, boot. Is
    >there another way?

    Basically, that describes the entire PC building process. Or, that's
    what I do when I build a new PC. And, if the M/B manufacturer is kind
    enough to print what each of the jumpers do on the board, as some of
    them are, I don't even need a manual.

    >ASs you can tell, I am completely a n00b when it comes to hardware. When
    >I need something, I look wether it is suported under Linux, buy it and
    >that is about it. Apart from my WinTV PVR, everything just worked out of
    >the box.

    I think that, and an RTL2500PCI based wireless card, are about the only
    hardware I have that doesn't work out of the box. I haven't bothered
    with the TV card, as I can't even remember the last time I tried using
    it.

    However, I'm going to have a look at a third-party version of the
    rtl2x00 module to replace the one Novell ship, as I know someone else
    who used to have problems using their wireless card and, after swapping
    the module, their wireless card now works properly.

    [0] Yes, I already know they're all EOL'd[1] and should be upgraded.
    However, the 9.1 box can't use any later version as it's already at its
    160MB RAM limit, it's a damn slow machine, and it would be very hard to
    upgrade as it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. The 9.0 box could be
    upgraded, but it's just sat there as doing next to nothing so I've left
    it alone. The 9.3 box will be upgraded, once 10.3 is released, or some
    serious security problem comes up that affects the software versions
    it's using.

    [1] And now for one of those strange speel-chucker moments. My
    speel-chucker wanted to change EOL'd to eloped. Since I can see the
    boxes in question, I don't think they've eloped quite yet.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  20. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 01:25:11 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    > I can go back as far as a running 9.0[0] system and it's present in the
    > config.gz there. It's also present in 9.1[0], 9.3[0], 10.0, 10.1, 10.2
    > and 10.3 kernels.

    Before then like mentioned earlier I used to have open case and
    install using mobo controller and then patch the kernel. What a PITA.

    >>> You aren't running an MFM drive are you :-)

    >>Well, I don't know what that is, so perhaps.

    > A very old format, with absolutely huge sizes of upto 100MB. It was
    > superseded by RLL drives, which had around a 50% increase is capacity, and
    > ranged upto 200MB.

    I was teasing him there

    >>shutdown, open box, enter card, connect cables, close box, boot. Is there
    >>another way?

    > Basically, that describes the entire PC building process. Or, that's what
    > I do when I build a new PC. And, if the M/B manufacturer is kind enough to
    > print what each of the jumpers do on the board, as some of them are, I
    > don't even need a manual.

    I always check my hardware on the web first before I buy and build if I
    have not seen it mentioned in the NG's. There are sites that will have
    all but the very latest items. It will say go or no go...

    >>that is about it. Apart from my WinTV PVR, everything just worked out
    >> of the box.

    > I think that, and an RTL2500PCI based wireless card, are about the only
    > hardware I have that doesn't work out of the box. I haven't bothered with
    > the TV card, as I can't even remember the last time I tried using it.

    For that Realtek this might give you some help...

    http://www.linuxcompatible.org/Realt...00_c12389.html

    In kernel 2.6.21.5 there is starting to be support for the Coextant
    based TV Tuner cards and more in kernel support is coming I hear. There
    are sites that tell you how to get them going but it's tricky. I'm sure
    it will be supported directly in the kernel very soon.

    Here are other sources of information...

    http://tinyurl.com/2bd5xb

    > However, I'm going to have a look at a third-party version of the rtl2x00
    > module to replace the one Novell ship, as I know someone else who used to
    > have problems using their wireless card and, after swapping the module,
    > their wireless card now works properly.

    If you give me the relevant output of

    lspci -vv AND
    scanpci -vv

    I can look it up. I know some ways to find it's status but it's too
    lengthy to explain right now.