Not able to burn with K3b - Suse

This is a discussion on Not able to burn with K3b - Suse ; David Bolt wrote: > Rumours I heard is that the old maintainer did a pretty good job of not > breaking it and then having to do a re-release, yeah, that is just a rumour. Reality is a bitch. :-D ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 59 of 59

  1. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    David Bolt wrote:
    > Rumours I heard is that the old maintainer did a pretty good job of not
    > breaking it and then having to do a re-release,

    yeah, that is just a rumour. Reality is a bitch. :-D

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  2. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Ron Gibson wrote:-

    >On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:08:06 +0100, David Bolt wrote:
    >
    >> The fun part was I'd write the floppy images, verify them to make sure
    >> they were readable, write-protect them so I couldn't overwrite them,
    >> then
    >> put them into the laptop. The laptop would then get part-way through
    >> reading the disc and then complain about a disc error. Putting them back
    >> into the system that wrote them only to find the disc had become unusable
    >> due to bad sectors. I recall going through over 15 discs before I gave up
    >> on that idea.

    >I'm betting you know but that's a bad floppy drive ruining your floppies.

    No, it was a bad batch of floppies. I had a total of 50 floppies and,
    after writing in any of the drives I had, I could read them back once.
    Any subsequent attempt, even in the same drive, resulted in a CRC error.
    This is something I've noticed about HD floppies. I have some DD
    floppies dating back into the late 80s and early 90s that are still
    readable.

    >I now make images of critical floppies and save them to HD and CD.
    >Savedskf (OS/2 tool) works great under DOS for that, sort of an
    >automated dd for floppies.

    That does remind me that I aught to do that to those that I can. Some I
    can't since they're copy-protected.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  3. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >> The man page shows an '=' but that doesn't mean it won't work without.
    >>

    >I looked at the man page, but did not pay attention after the first
    >two examples. :-/
    >
    >So here goes the second try:
    >houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc=dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    >:-[ READ DISC INFORMATION failed with SK=4h/ASC=92h/ACQ=05h]:
    >Input/output error
    >
    >Well, that was fun.

    Did it burn a disc correctly without the '=' ? If it did, you at least
    have a way of burning. If not, and if you haven't already done so, it
    might be worth a bug report.

    One final suggestion, and something I had a problem with, is to check
    the permissions on the DVD writer. In my case, it kept being reset to
    640 and k3b would complain every time I started it about not being able
    to write to the drive. It also complained when I made myself a user of
    group disk and set the ownership and permissions to root.group and 660.
    It wasn't until I changed the permissions to 666 and set added a line to
    /etc/permissions.local so they stayed that way, that k3b was able to
    write to a DVD.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  4. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    David Bolt wrote:
    > Did it burn a disc correctly without the '=' ? If it did, you at least
    > have a way of burning. If not, and if you haven't already done so, it
    > might be worth a bug report.

    It burned the iso file onto the disk.

    I now have retried the previous command that burned the iso and I get:
    houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc
    dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    :-[ READ DISC INFORMATION failed with SK=4h/ASC=92h/ACQ=05h]:
    Input/output erro

    This is the IDENTICAL command I gave earlier. Then yet again arrow up
    and again and again. Here the results:
    houghi@penne : cd dvd/
    [~/dvd]
    houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z
    /dev/hdc=dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    :-[ READ DISC INFORMATION failed with SK=4h/ASC=92h/ACQ=05h]:
    Input/output error
    [~/dvd]
    houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc
    dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    :-[ READ DISC INFORMATION failed with SK=4h/ASC=92h/ACQ=05h]:
    Input/output error
    [~/dvd]
    houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z
    /dev/hdc=dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    :-( /dev/hdc: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 9
    [~/dvd]
    houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z
    /dev/hdc=dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    growisofs: no mkisofs options are permitted with =, aborting...

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  5. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    In David Bolt:

    [Snip...]

    > No, it was a bad batch of floppies

    FWIW...

    I have some Office Depot floppies I picked up about a year ago; each one
    of them were flaky as hell from gitgo. Some wouldn't even take the first
    write cycle (CRC errors, as you noted).

    Needless to say, I don't buy/use Office Depot floppies anymore.

    OTOH, some Imation floppies from many years ago seem to get on perfectly
    with the same drives to this day (AFAICT). I use them once a month or so
    to "sneakernet" small files to a bedroom system (not usually attached to
    my home LAN--clumsy cable run).

  6. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > OS/2 - That's where. I started with version 2.1 and participated
    > in newsgroups regularly all the way back into the days of FIDO.
    >
    > Still have a semi-working version of OS/2 on my machine, in fact but
    > seldom ever boot it up anymore.

    I have a server for backups, mass storgae, mail server, etc. plus a DB2
    database so I have at least one OS/2 machine on 24/7 - re-boot it every few
    months just because . I started with 1.3 and made a living for several
    years programming Warp 3/4 servers and desktop systems, so I have a soft
    spot for it. Still haven't found a desktop environment to match the WPS it
    had - that object oriented design was the best part of the whole system.

    --
    Will Honea

  7. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:38:53 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > David Bolt wrote:
    >> Did it burn a disc correctly without the '=' ? If it did, you at least
    >> have a way of burning. If not, and if you haven't already done so, it
    >> might be worth a bug report.

    > It burned the iso file onto the disk.
    >
    > I now have retried the previous command that burned the iso and I get:
    > houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    > :-[ READ DISC INFORMATION failed with SK=4h/ASC=92h/ACQ=05h]:
    > Input/output erro
    >
    > This is the IDENTICAL command I gave earlier. Then yet again arrow up and
    > again and again. Here the results: houghi@penne : cd dvd/
    > [~/dvd]
    > houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc=dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    > :-[ READ DISC INFORMATION failed with SK=4h/ASC=92h/ACQ=05h]:
    > Input/output error
    > [~/dvd]
    > houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    > :-[ READ DISC INFORMATION failed with SK=4h/ASC=92h/ACQ=05h]:
    > Input/output error
    > [~/dvd]
    > houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc=dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    > :-( /dev/hdc: media is not recognized as recordable DVD: 9
    > [~/dvd]
    > houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc=dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    > growisofs: no mkisofs options are permitted with =, aborting...
    >

    > houghi

    Apologies for missing the /dev/dvd part.

    As your image is 4.5GB, if I remember correctly, you may need the
    -overburn option.

  8. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    graham wrote:
    > Apologies for missing the /dev/dvd part.
    >
    > As your image is 4.5GB, if I remember correctly, you may need the
    > -overburn option.

    No, it is 3.7GB. I was able to put it on as an ISO the first time, yet I
    was not able to do it a second time.

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we

  9. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:
    >> Did it burn a disc correctly without the '=' ? If it did, you at least
    >> have a way of burning. If not, and if you haven't already done so, it
    >> might be worth a bug report.

    >It burned the iso file onto the disk.
    >
    >I now have retried the previous command that burned the iso and I get:
    >houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc
    >dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    >:-[ READ DISC INFORMATION failed with SK=4h/ASC=92h/ACQ=05h]:
    >Input/output erro

    Check the device permissions again, just in case they've been altered.
    As I said, even as a member of group disk and permissions of 660, I had
    a similar error writing to my DVD writer. As much as I dislike it, the
    only way to make it work was to make it world-writeable. While it's only
    the DVD writer that requires this change, and it's not too much of a
    problem purely because it's a DVD writer, but it still doesn't mean I
    have to actually like this solution.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  10. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-
    >
    >>David Bolt wrote:
    >>> Did it burn a disc correctly without the '=' ? If it did, you at least
    >>> have a way of burning. If not, and if you haven't already done so, it
    >>> might be worth a bug report.

    >>It burned the iso file onto the disk.
    >>
    >>I now have retried the previous command that burned the iso and I get:
    >>houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc
    >>dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    >>:-[ READ DISC INFORMATION failed with SK=4h/ASC=92h/ACQ=05h]:
    >>Input/output erro

    > Check the device permissions again, just in case they've been altered.

    They haven't. Also that would make absolute no sense as to why it works
    and then after an 'up' not anymore.

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we
    have tolerated the last eight years? -- Frank Zappa, in 1988

  11. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:

    >>>It burned the iso file onto the disk.
    >>>
    >>>I now have retried the previous command that burned the iso and I get:
    >>>houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc
    >>>dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    >>>:-[ READ DISC INFORMATION failed with SK=4h/ASC=92h/ACQ=05h]:
    >>>Input/output erro

    >> Check the device permissions again, just in case they've been altered.

    >They haven't. Also that would make absolute no sense as to why it works
    >and then after an 'up' not anymore.

    It only takes a few seconds for the permissions to be reset. However, if
    you haven't had SuSEconfig execute, the permissions aren't likely to
    alter.

    As to why it's failing after a successful burn, I have no idea. Have you
    checked /var/log/messages to see what's going on at the time?

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  12. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:18:55 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    > One final suggestion, and something I had a problem with, is to check
    > the
    > permissions on the DVD writer. In my case, it kept being reset to 640 and
    > k3b would complain every time I started it about not being able to write
    > to the drive. It also complained when I made myself a user of group disk
    > and set the ownership and permissions to root.group and 660. It wasn't
    > until I changed the permissions to 666 and set added a line to
    > /etc/permissions.local so they stayed that way, that k3b was able to write
    > to a DVD.

    If it eases your mind any this is a very common problem with several
    distro. And as usual a solution is usually found after a good bit of
    cursing and flailing around :-)

    Speaking of which my Suse MythTV project had me all excited. "Had me" is
    the key phrase

    Installed beautiful but I a having a hell of a time configuring it, but
    the good news is I now also have to learn MySQL, of which I've had zero
    experience with (never needed it).

    Oh for joy! Another learning experience.

    BTW, I don't think it's possible for anyone despite how much experience
    they have (myself, 13 years) to know it all. Some of us are gurus but
    only in specific areas.

    And what's interesting is often the newbie sharing his experience from
    his recent install is the best person to help another newbie with
    installation issues as it's fresh in mind.

    Point is we all have something to contribute and if we don't we are
    thieves, IMO. Also remember...

    ....Be kind to the newbie as one day you might need his help.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  13. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:17:18 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> I'm waiting for the HDTV protocol to be written in stone and then I
    >> might buy a 21" wide screen LCD (assuming they get monitor timings as
    >> smooth as CRT's are) and an HDTV tuner card.

    > There is a TV and there is a monitor. A monitor I have to have at least
    > 1600x1200. I have seen 70+" screens with a resultion of 1024x690
    >
    > No way I would buy something like that for a monitor.

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=product&
    productCategoryId=pcmcat104900050012&id=1158104010302

    Or...

    http://tinyurl.com/3xoedz

    Anyway, so why is what you have to have matter as to what I want ?

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  14. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:57:11 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    >>I'm betting you know but that's a bad floppy drive ruining your
    >> floppies.

    > No, it was a bad batch of floppies. I had a total of 50 floppies and,
    > after writing in any of the drives I had, I could read them back once. Any
    > subsequent attempt, even in the same drive, resulted in a CRC error. This
    > is something I've noticed about HD floppies. I have some DD floppies
    > dating back into the late 80s and early 90s that are still readable.

    Oh boy - I've had that happen with a batch of 50 ChumpUSA flops myself.

    Floppy drives can eat floppies though as I 've had that happen 3 times.

    >>I now make images of critical floppies and save them to HD and CD.
    >>Savedskf (OS/2 tool) works great under DOS for that, sort of an automated
    >>dd for floppies.

    > That does remind me that I aught to do that to those that I can. Some I
    > can't since they're copy-protected.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  15. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Ron Gibson wrote:-

    >On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:17:18 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> There is a TV and there is a monitor. A monitor I have to have at least
    >> 1600x1200. I have seen 70+" screens with a resultion of 1024x690
    >>
    >> No way I would buy something like that for a monitor.

    >http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=product&
    >productCategoryId=pcmcat104900050012&id=1158104010302
    >
    >Or...
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/3xoedz
    >
    >Anyway, so why is what you have to have matter as to what I want ?

    By my reading of it, I don't think houghi was referring to the 21" LCD
    you were talking about, but to the 70+" "low-res" screen. I don't think
    I'd want something that large, either as a TV or as a monitor.

    As to a 24", that's probably a touch too big for my desk, as it would
    have to fit in between two PCs on one side, and a RiscPC and iMac on the
    other.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  16. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Ron Gibson wrote:-

    >On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:57:11 +0100, David Bolt wrote:
    >
    >>>I'm betting you know but that's a bad floppy drive ruining your
    >>> floppies.

    >> No, it was a bad batch of floppies. I had a total of 50 floppies and,
    >> after writing in any of the drives I had, I could read them back once. Any
    >> subsequent attempt, even in the same drive, resulted in a CRC error. This
    >> is something I've noticed about HD floppies. I have some DD floppies
    >> dating back into the late 80s and early 90s that are still readable.

    >Oh boy - I've had that happen with a batch of 50 ChumpUSA flops myself.

    I can't remember if they were branded or un-branded discs, or where I
    bought them. Not that it mattered either way. I've had the same happen
    with both branded and un-branded floppies.

    >Floppy drives can eat floppies though as I 've had that happen 3 times.

    I've only ever had a drive actually eat a floppy once, and that was
    because it was an un-branded POS, the disc had no label and the plastic
    case of the disc split when I tried ejecting it. Removing the disc cause
    a little creasing of it, but actually left the drive intact. A label
    over the top sealed the disc up enough so I was able to retrieve the
    contents.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  17. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > I also found this Scpeptre 21" wide screen HD that is only $219 from
    > Newegg...
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/34t2pd

    1680x1050 That is not something I would want personaly.
    I had to wait a long time to get 1600x1200 at a reasonable price. They
    are still not that common at reasonable prices.

    > But the technology is bound to improve and get cheaper. So for now I'm
    > waiting and watching.

    Yes, I had to wait 2 years to make it worthwile for me. I haver the acer
    20" and pretty happy with bnoth of them. :-)

    To me desktop real estate is pretty importand and I can't have enough of
    it. The more the better. My ideal is 3 24" sceens and above that one
    HUGE flatscreen for tv.

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  18. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, David Bolt wrote:-

    >On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >>So here goes the second try:
    >>houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc=dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    >>:-[ READ DISC INFORMATION failed with SK=4h/ASC=92h/ACQ=05h]:
    >>Input/output error
    >>
    >>Well, that was fun.

    >Did it burn a disc correctly without the '=' ? If it did, you at least
    >have a way of burning. If not, and if you haven't already done so, it
    >might be worth a bug report.

    Having had another look, the man page is lagging behind a bit. I just
    checked using growisofs -help and it no longer expects the '=' there.

    Also, here's a couple of other things for you to test:

    1, check if DMA is turned on. This may or may not cause a problem, but
    it will ensure a faster read/write;
    2, add the -speed=n to the growisofs options. You'll probably find using
    -speed=4 works, as would faster speeds.

    As for k3b, try setting the speed manually, rather than using the "auto"
    setting it defaults to. It's quite possible that the drive _requires_ a
    speed specifying for it to burn correctly.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  19. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    David Bolt wrote:
    > Also, here's a couple of other things for you to test:
    >
    > 1, check if DMA is turned on. This may or may not cause a problem, but
    > it will ensure a faster read/write;
    > 2, add the -speed=n to the growisofs options. You'll probably find using
    > -speed=4 works, as would faster speeds.
    >
    > As for k3b, try setting the speed manually, rather than using the "auto"
    > setting it defaults to. It's quite possible that the drive _requires_ a
    > speed specifying for it to burn correctly.

    I believe I need to look in a complete different direction. What I did
    was the following.
    1) Reboot (Yes, that should not have been needed)
    2) Boot into init 2, so as little things can interfere
    3) Start KDE instead of WindowMaker, so none of my standard applications
    can interfere.
    4) Let k3b make an ISO
    5) Burn the iso

    This seems to be no problem. My guestimate at this moment is that some
    program grabs /dev/hdc and uses it, making it unusable for other
    applications. My guess the guilty one is Amarok. I will determine that
    at a later time.

    houghi
    --
    First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
    numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3