Not able to burn with K3b - Suse

This is a discussion on Not able to burn with K3b - Suse ; Ron Gibson wrote: > If this sounds like a scolding it is. Knowing your hardware is VITAL on > a machine on which you install an OS and the knowledge of what the > Linux Kernel supports is also VITAL. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 59

  1. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > If this sounds like a scolding it is. Knowing your hardware is VITAL on
    > a machine on which you install an OS and the knowledge of what the
    > Linux Kernel supports is also VITAL.

    I would say it is not VITAL. I have burned CD's and DVD's on the same
    identical burner with the smae identical discs doing the same identical
    procedure.

    > So while you can take whatever approach you like for the sake of others
    > I strongly suggest they know their hardware and find out if it's
    > supported. Entire websites are devoted to these issues like...
    >
    > http://www.linuxcompatible.org/

    I am talking about a freaking IDE DVD burner that already worked in the
    past.

    > http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting
    >
    > You said you wanted to learn. Were you serious?
    >
    > Those people that don't want to know what they are running will do
    > better to buy a PC with the OS preloaded.

    I just want to know when I buy it. The moment it works I forget what it
    is.

    > And BTW, I post for the sake of all and often include extra information.
    > This helps others who *do* want to learn to be more
    > knowledgable penguin people when they google.

    Great and thank you for that. I tend to do the same.

    > In fact right now you have a hardware issue. Good luck.

    Thanks.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  2. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > BTW, Will, which NG have I seen you around in. Your name sure seems
    > familiar.

    I spent several years on the comp.os.os2 groups, the Jeep groups, and the
    db2 groups. Used to be pretty active on the IBM news groups as well, so it
    could have been about anywhere - it's a small world .

    --
    Will Honea

  3. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > I always check my hardware on the web first before I buy and build if I
    > have not seen it mentioned in the NG's. There are sites that will have
    > all but the very latest items. It will say go or no go...

    I do the same. That is also the reason I bought the IDE card that I
    have, because it mentioned Linux support. That is also why I bought an
    MGE UPS, because it has Linux support. That is also why I bought an
    Hauppauge card, because people told me how easy it was for them to get
    it working.

    About the latter. I have spend several days following each and every
    HOWTO and step-by-step I could find and was able to get it running once
    till a kernel upgrade trew it out again. 10.3 should support it
    completey from scratch. Must find time to test it and see if it works
    and if not why.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  4. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    David Bolt wrote:
    > [0] Yes, I already know they're all EOL'd[1] and should be upgraded.
    > However, the 9.1 box can't use any later version as it's already at its
    > 160MB RAM limit, it's a damn slow machine, and it would be very hard to
    > upgrade as it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive.

    You can easily attach a CD/DVD by opening the box and connecting a
    CD/DVD temporarily. If the HD is big enough you can also do a diskless
    installation if there is no way to connect the CD/DVD (e.g. in a
    portable. You might need a specific connector to connect the HD, but
    then it goes as folllows:

    1) Take out the HD and connect it to an other machine
    2) Format the HD and make a parttion
    3) Use `makeSUSEdvd -i` to put the image on a seperate partition (e.g.
    the one that you want to be /home later)
    4) Put grub on the mbr of the drive
    5) Put it in the machine and boot. It could be that you need to point to
    the correct vmlinuz and init
    6) Install

    I guess you could use the same procedure for e.g. DSL as well, where
    step 3 is just copying the data. Not sure and never tried the last.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  5. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    graham wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:37:44 +0200, houghi wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >> cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 40s wodim: No disk / Wrong disk!
    >>
    >> It then opens and out pops the empty DVD
    >>
    >> houghi

    > When k3b has failed I've used with success
    >
    > growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
    > /data8/dvd.16094/makeSUSEdvd-Linux-10.3-Alpha3-DVD.iso
    >
    > Your path will be different.

    Well, that worked and I now have a nice ISO file on my DVD. Not exactly
    what I wanted.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  6. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:54:16 -0600, Will Honea wrote:

    >> BTW, Will, which NG have I seen you around in. Your name sure seems
    >> familiar.

    > I spent several years on the comp.os.os2 groups, the Jeep groups, and the
    > db2 groups. Used to be pretty active on the IBM news groups as well, so it
    > could have been about anywhere - it's a small world .

    OS/2 - That's where. I started with version 2.1 and participated
    in newsgroups regularly all the way back into the days of FIDO.

    Still have a semi-working version of OS/2 on my machine, in fact but
    seldom ever boot it up anymore.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  7. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 07:37:43 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> If this sounds like a scolding it is. Knowing your hardware is VITAL on
    >> a machine on which you install an OS and the knowledge of what the Linux
    >> Kernel supports is also VITAL.

    > I would say it is not VITAL. I have burned CD's and DVD's on the same
    > identical burner with the same identical discs doing the same identical
    > procedure.

    Then I would say in harmony with thousands of other Linux users that you
    would be wrong.

    >> supported. Entire websites are devoted to these issues like...

    > I am talking about a freaking IDE DVD burner that already worked in the
    > past.

    It makes no difference. The diagnostic and discovery methods are the
    same.

    I'm not in a mission here to change you. You have the right to know as
    much or as little as you like, but I will not stand by idly while
    counter-productive methods are championed. It is bad for the newbie and
    that is bad for Linux as Newsgroups are where most of us learned how to
    manage this OS.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  8. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 07:53:44 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> I always check my hardware on the web first before I buy and build if I
    >> have not seen it mentioned in the NG's. There are sites that will have
    >> all but the very latest items. It will say go or no go...

    > I do the same. That is also the reason I bought the IDE card that I have,
    > because it mentioned Linux support. That is also why I bought an MGE UPS,

    Well that's the spirit. The only problem is sometimes people report as
    device as working on linuxcompatibility and two types of errors can
    creep in...

    1) They are using a distro with a patched kernel and you use a different
    distro

    2) The item in question only partially functions and the person does not
    realize it

    So I would not rely on just one positive report, especially when an item
    might be costly. I'd try to verify that from more than one source. I
    also...

    1) Ask in the NG for the distro I use.

    2) Check changelogs at kernel.org

    3) Google for any complaints.

    4) Just in case try to buy from a vendor that will allow refunds

    > About the latter. I have spend several days following each and every
    > HOWTO

    Many/most of the HOWTO's are very very good. But there are a few turkeys
    in there.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  9. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:
    >> [0] Yes, I already know they're all EOL'd[1] and should be upgraded.
    >> However, the 9.1 box can't use any later version as it's already at its
    >> 160MB RAM limit, it's a damn slow machine, and it would be very hard to
    >> upgrade as it doesn't have a CD/DVD drive.

    >You can easily attach a CD/DVD by opening the box and connecting a
    >CD/DVD temporarily.

    Erm, I can't. It's an old laptop and there's no way to attach a CD/DVD
    like that. It would have allowed an external CD/DVD but, given its age
    (it's using 300MHz PII), there's not much chance of finding one of those
    floating about.

    >1) Take out the HD and connect it to an other machine

    That's one way to do it, and one I've already used before.

    >2) Format the HD and make a parttion

    No need. I always set aside a partition specifically to hold a copy of
    the installation DVD.

    >3) Use `makeSUSEdvd -i` to put the image on a seperate partition (e.g.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    I think I might have heard of that before ;-)

    >the one that you want to be /home later)

    If the drive is in another system, I'd copy it from the DVD to the
    partition assigned for it. If it's in the system it belongs in, I'd
    rsync the contents from another system.

    >4) Put grub on the mbr of the drive

    It already boots into Linux[0] so all I'd need to do is modify menu.lst
    to add the option for the installation.

    >5) Put it in the machine and boot. It could be that you need to point
    >to the correct vmlinuz and init

    Possibly. Unless I get it right first time :-)

    >6) Install

    That's one way. Another way, which is also probably the fastest way and
    one I have used for an old 486 laptop and SuSE[1] 7.3, was to do stage
    one of the install using a different machine. Once it shut down to do
    the reboot after stage one was complete, I shut that system down, took
    the drive out and put it back into the laptop and let the install
    continue from there. That resulted in a fast initial install and, since
    I'd configured it to do a text install, it wasn't that slow doing stage
    two.

    >I guess you could use the same procedure for e.g. DSL as well, where
    >step 3 is just copying the data. Not sure and never tried the last.

    [0] I won't mention the fact it's still got WinME on it as well. Not
    sure why it's still there as it hadn't had a reboot in almost a year,
    and wouldn't have been rebooted if it wasn't for the fact that it's
    battery is knackered and I unplugged the wrong plug :-(

    [1] Correct spelling for that version :-)

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  10. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >graham wrote:

    >> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
    >> /data8/dvd.16094/makeSUSEdvd-Linux-10.3-Alpha3-DVD.iso
    >>
    >> Your path will be different.

    >Well, that worked and I now have a nice ISO file on my DVD. Not exactly
    >what I wanted.

    That's because the command to actually write it to a DVD is:

    growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/your/image.iso

    You may also need to change /dev/dvd to the proper device for your
    writer.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  11. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Ron Gibson wrote:-

    >On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 01:25:11 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    >> A very old format, with absolutely huge sizes of upto 100MB. It was
    >> superseded by RLL drives, which had around a 50% increase is capacity, and
    >> ranged upto 200MB.

    >I was teasing him there

    I know. Still, there's nothing wrong with a little history lesson.

    >> Basically, that describes the entire PC building process. Or, that's what
    >> I do when I build a new PC. And, if the M/B manufacturer is kind enough to
    >> print what each of the jumpers do on the board, as some of them are, I
    >> don't even need a manual.

    >I always check my hardware on the web first before I buy and build if I
    >have not seen it mentioned in the NG's. There are sites that will have
    >all but the very latest items. It will say go or no go...

    I don't bother. I generally just buy plain generic hardware and, with
    the exception of a few things, all have worked quite nicely. I do tend
    to avoid NForce chip sets for motherboards, but more-or-less everything
    else I've bought has "just worked" (tm).

    >> I think that, and an RTL2500PCI based wireless card, are about the only
    >> hardware I have that doesn't work out of the box. I haven't bothered with
    >> the TV card, as I can't even remember the last time I tried using it.

    >For that Realtek this might give you some help...
    >
    >http://www.linuxcompatible.org/Realt...00_c12389.html

    Thanks, I'll give it a look. It's not anything that's really urgent as
    the box already has a wired ethernet card in it. I was just curious as
    to whether I could actually get it up and running.

    >In kernel 2.6.21.5 there is starting to be support for the Coextant
    >based TV Tuner cards and more in kernel support is coming I hear. There
    >are sites that tell you how to get them going but it's tricky. I'm sure
    >it will be supported directly in the kernel very soon.
    >
    >Here are other sources of information...
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/2bd5xb

    Thanks for that, but it's not for my card. I have a WinFast TV2000 XP
    card, which is based on the Conexant chip, but it's actually in a 9.3
    box. In theory, it should have worked more-or-less straight out of the
    box, but it didn't and I just couldn't be bothered at the time to sort
    out why. As that box is going to eventually get an upgrade to 10.3, I'm
    leaving it alone for now. Since I've no use for it, as I have absolutely
    no interest in watching TV, if it doesn't work, it'll be no loss.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  12. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    David Bolt wrote:
    > Erm, I can't. It's an old laptop and there's no way to attach a CD/DVD
    > like that. It would have allowed an external CD/DVD but, given its age
    > (it's using 300MHz PII), there's not much chance of finding one of those
    > floating about.

    I have a 486 portable and it has the ability to connect a second IDE
    device with a special adapter. You can't actualy put it in there and
    close the case, but it is possible.

    >>3) Use `makeSUSEdvd -i` to put the image on a seperate partition (e.g.

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^
    > I think I might have heard of that before ;-)

    The rumours I have heard is that the old maintainer is an asshole and
    the new maintainer is much better at doing the job.

    > That's one way. Another way, which is also probably the fastest way and
    > one I have used for an old 486 laptop and SuSE[1] 7.3, was to do stage
    > one of the install using a different machine. Once it shut down to do
    > the reboot after stage one was complete, I shut that system down, took
    > the drive out and put it back into the laptop and let the install
    > continue from there. That resulted in a fast initial install and, since
    > I'd configured it to do a text install, it wasn't that slow doing stage
    > two.

    Neat. Didn't think of that.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  13. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    >> I do the same. That is also the reason I bought the IDE card that I have,
    >> because it mentioned Linux support. That is also why I bought an MGE UPS,

    > Well that's the spirit. The only problem is sometimes people report as
    > device as working on linuxcompatibility and two types of errors can
    > creep in...
    >
    > 1) They are using a distro with a patched kernel and you use a different
    > distro

    If I would have used a different kernel, that would have been the first
    place to look. I don't do that. Concerning the burning or not, that is
    not a kernel issue. This is proven by the fact I was able to bun an iso
    file.

    > 2) The item in question only partially functions and the person does not
    > realize it

    I understand that, but that was not the case. I understand a bit of
    troubleshooting and problem analysis. The hardware did not partialy
    function. It funtioned fully.

    > So I would not rely on just one positive report, especially when an item
    > might be costly. I'd try to verify that from more than one source. I
    > also...

    When I looked up information on the TV card, it was clear that there
    were no issues at that moment, or at least not very big ones. The
    problems were mainly user errors.

    > 1) Ask in the NG for the distro I use.

    I did a bit bigger and I never had any issue with other hardware. There
    are several websites explaining how to get the card running with SUSE
    then and so I clearly understand that the problem with the TV card is my
    problem and not hardware related.

    > 2) Check changelogs at kernel.org

    No need. I am the problem

    > 3) Google for any complaints.

    Those are all mine, most likely. :-D

    > 4) Just in case try to buy from a vendor that will allow refunds

    After a few years I doubt that. ;-)

    >> About the latter. I have spend several days following each and every
    >> HOWTO

    > Many/most of the HOWTO's are very very good. But there are a few turkeys
    > in there.

    With the amount of HOTO's I have tried on the subject, I sghould have
    stumbled on one that worked. At that moment I was even in the process of
    putting it all in a script, so I could repeat it when needed and not
    missing a step.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  14. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:45:57 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    >>I always check my hardware on the web first before I buy and build if I
    >>have not seen it mentioned in the NG's. There are sites that will have
    >>all but the very latest items. It will say go or no go...

    > I don't bother. I generally just buy plain generic hardware and, with the
    > exception of a few things, all have worked quite nicely. I do tend to
    > avoid NForce chip sets for motherboards, but more-or-less everything else
    > I've bought has "just worked" (tm).

    When I build a machine I always buy when they are getting to roll out a
    bigger,better or faster device to take advantage of close out sales. For
    example I bought a P4 w/HT just before dual core was out. And I always
    stick with Intel chipsets, Nvidia video, and Lite-On for my Optical
    stuff so in a sense I do the same. However that comes from years of
    experience. The newbie usually doesn't know this stuff so I tried to
    present a "model" for whoever to gain that knowledge.

    But I'm thinking about adding a HD tuner card so when I get ready I'll do
    the research, as I'm not familiar off hand with what works and what
    won't. Actually I may just try to make my old BT848 Haupauge work :-)

    >>In kernel 2.6.21.5 there is starting to be support for the Coextant

    > based
    >>TV Tuner cards and more in kernel support is coming I hear. There are
    >>sites that tell you how to get them going but it's tricky. I'm sure it
    >>will be supported directly in the kernel very soon.

    >>http://tinyurl.com/2bd5xb

    > Thanks for that, but it's not for my card. I have a WinFast TV2000 XP
    > card, which is based on the Conexant chip, but it's actually in a 9.3 box.

    It's the chip that matters not the maker, like there is no difference
    between a Aopen GeForce 6600 and a MSI GeForce 6600.

    > In theory, it should have worked more-or-less straight out of the box,
    > but it didn't and I just couldn't be bothered at the time to sort out
    > why.

    As you said, "In theory" That's why my last step is to ask in the
    proper NG, "Do you have XYZ and does it work?"

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  15. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-
    >
    >>graham wrote:

    >>> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z
    >>> /data8/dvd.16094/makeSUSEdvd-Linux-10.3-Alpha3-DVD.iso
    >>>
    >>> Your path will be different.

    >>Well, that worked and I now have a nice ISO file on my DVD. Not exactly
    >>what I wanted.

    > That's because the command to actually write it to a DVD is:
    >
    > growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/your/image.iso

    Should there be an '=' or not?

    houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc
    dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    Executing 'mkisofs -v dvd_01_wallpapers.iso | builtin_dd of=/dev/hdc
    obs=32k seek=0'
    I: -input-charset not specified, using ISO-8859-1 (detected in locale
    settings)
    mkisofs 2.01.01a05+ck1, cdrkit edition (Linux)
    Writing: Initial Padblock Start Block 0
    Done with: Initial Padblock Block(s) 16
    Writing: Primary Volume Descriptor Start Block 16
    Done with: Primary Volume Descriptor Block(s) 1
    Writing: End Volume Descriptor Start Block 17
    Done with: End Volume Descriptor Block(s) 1
    Writing: Version block Start Block 18
    Done with: Version block Block(s) 1
    Writing: Path table Start Block 19
    Done with: Path table Block(s) 4
    Writing: Directory tree Start Block 23
    Done with: Directory tree Block(s) 1
    Writing: Directory tree cleanup Start Block 24
    Done with: Directory tree cleanup Block(s) 0
    Writing: The File(s) Start Block 24
    0.28% done, estimate finish Wed Jun 20 08:40:54 2007
    0.55% done, estimate finish Wed Jun 20 08:43:54 2007
    0.83% done, estimate finish Wed Jun 20 08:42:54 2007
    /dev/hdc: FEATURE 21h is not on, engaging DAO...
    /dev/hdc: reserving 1809579 blocks
    /dev/hdc: "Current Write Speed" is 8.2x1385KBps.
    1.11% done, estimate finish Wed Jun 20 09:41:11 2007

    99.75% done, estimate finish Wed Jun 20 08:50:00 2007
    Total translation table size: 0
    Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
    Total directory bytes: 0
    Path table size(bytes): 10
    Done with: The File(s) Block(s) 1809405
    Writing: Ending Padblock Start Block 1809429
    Done with: Ending Padblock Block(s) 150
    Max brk space used 0
    1809579 extents written (3534 MB)
    builtin_dd: 1809584*2KB out @ average 4.9x1385KBps
    /dev/hdc: flushing cache

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  16. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:

    >> That's because the command to actually write it to a DVD is:
    >>
    >> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/your/image.iso

    >Should there be an '=' or not?

    The man page shows an '=' but that doesn't mean it won't work without.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  17. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:
    >> Erm, I can't. It's an old laptop and there's no way to attach a CD/DVD
    >> like that. It would have allowed an external CD/DVD but, given its age
    >> (it's using 300MHz PII), there's not much chance of finding one of those
    >> floating about.

    >I have a 486 portable and it has the ability to connect a second IDE
    >device with a special adapter. You can't actualy put it in there and
    >close the case, but it is possible.

    The one I have is a Toshiba Portege 7010CT. It doesn't have a built-in
    floppy, although one can be added externally. And while Toshiba used to
    sell a CDROM drive for it, they were more than I paid for the laptop
    itself. I haven't checked on ebay lately, so don't know if there are any
    available second-hand.

    >>>3) Use `makeSUSEdvd -i` to put the image on a seperate partition (e.g.

    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^
    >> I think I might have heard of that before ;-)

    >The rumours I have heard is that the old maintainer is an asshole and
    >the new maintainer is much better at doing the job.

    Rumours I heard is that the old maintainer did a pretty good job of not
    breaking it and then having to do a re-release, unlike the new
    maintainer.

    >> That's one way. Another way, which is also probably the fastest way and
    >> one I have used for an old 486 laptop and SuSE[1] 7.3, was to do stage
    >> one of the install using a different machine.

    >Neat. Didn't think of that.

    I didn't at first, and it was only after several attempts to find usable
    floppies to actually start the install that I said "fsck it" and put it
    into another system.

    The fun part was I'd write the floppy images, verify them to make sure
    they were readable, write-protect them so I couldn't overwrite them,
    then put them into the laptop. The laptop would then get part-way
    through reading the disc and then complain about a disc error. Putting
    them back into the system that wrote them only to find the disc had
    become unusable due to bad sectors. I recall going through over 15 discs
    before I gave up on that idea.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  18. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:08:06 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    > The fun part was I'd write the floppy images, verify them to make sure
    > they were readable, write-protect them so I couldn't overwrite them,
    > then
    > put them into the laptop. The laptop would then get part-way through
    > reading the disc and then complain about a disc error. Putting them back
    > into the system that wrote them only to find the disc had become unusable
    > due to bad sectors. I recall going through over 15 discs before I gave up
    > on that idea.

    I'm betting you know but that's a bad floppy drive ruining your floppies.

    I now make images of critical floppies and save them to HD and CD.
    Savedskf (OS/2 tool) works great under DOS for that, sort of an
    automated dd for floppies.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  19. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-
    >
    >>David Bolt wrote:

    >>> That's because the command to actually write it to a DVD is:
    >>>
    >>> growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/your/image.iso

    >>Should there be an '=' or not?

    > The man page shows an '=' but that doesn't mean it won't work without.

    I looked at the man page, but did not pay attention after the first
    two examples. :-/

    So here goes the second try:
    houghi@penne : growisofs -v -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc=dvd_01_wallpapers.iso
    :-[ READ DISC INFORMATION failed with SK=4h/ASC=92h/ACQ=05h]: Input/output error

    Well, that was fun.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  20. Re: Not able to burn with K3b

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > I'm waiting for the HDTV protocol to be written in stone and then I
    > might buy a 21" wide screen LCD (assuming they get monitor timings as
    > smooth as CRT's are) and an HDTV tuner card.

    There is a TV and there is a monitor. A monitor I have to have at least
    1600x1200. I have seen 70+" screens with a resultion of 1024x690

    No way I would buy something like that for a monitor.

    houghi