dual boot install loses dvd drive in winxp - Suse

This is a discussion on dual boot install loses dvd drive in winxp - Suse ; I'm moderately experienced in Linux, but I'm having a bizarre but completely reproducible problem. I have installed openSUSE 10.1 and Windows XP Pro on a Clevo M570U laptop several times. And every time that I do, the Philips DVD ...

  1. dual boot install loses dvd drive in winxp

    I'm moderately experienced in Linux, but I'm having a bizarre but
    completely reproducible problem. I have installed openSUSE 10.1 and
    Windows XP Pro on a Clevo M570U laptop several times. And every time
    that I do, the Philips DVD Burner becomes invisible to Windows. - not
    appearing in the Explorer list, the system hardware list in device
    manager, etc. It's as though it's been physically removed from the computer.

    I have twice installed Windows then SUSE, and the DVD is OK until SUSE
    is installed. I once reinstalled Windows afterwards, and the DVD was OK
    until I booted into the SUSE install and re-installed GRUB.

    The DVD works fine under SUSE.

    The grub.conf file is as follows:

    ---------------------------------------

    root (hd0,1)

    install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /grub/stage1 (hd0,1) /grub/stage2
    0x8000 (hd0,1)/grub/menu.lst

    install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /grub/stage1 (hd0) /grub/stage2
    0x8000 (hd0,1)/grub/menu.lst

    quit

    The menu.lst file is as follows:

    ---------------------------------------

    # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sat Jun 16 17:07:00 EST 2007

    color white/blue black/light-gray

    default 1

    timeout 8

    gfxmenu (hd0,1)/message

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###

    title SUSE Linux 10.1

    root (hd0,1)

    kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 vga=0x317 apm=off acpi=off mce=off
    barrier=off ide=nodma idewait=50 i8042.nomux psmouse.proto=bare irqpoll
    pci=nommconf resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent showopts

    initrd /initrd

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###

    title Windows

    chainloader (hd0,0)+1

    ###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###

    title Failsafe -- SUSE Linux 10.1

    root (hd0,1)

    kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 vga=normal showopts ide=nodma apm=off
    acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off 3

    initrd /initrd

    Does anyone have any clues?

  2. Re: dual boot install loses dvd drive in winxp

    Edwin wrote:

    > I'm moderately experienced in Linux, but I'm having a bizarre but
    > completely reproducible problem. I have installed openSUSE 10.1 and
    > Windows XP Pro on a Clevo M570U laptop – several times. And every time
    > that I do, the Philips DVD Burner becomes invisible to Windows. - not
    > appearing in the Explorer list, the system hardware list in device
    > manager, etc. It's as though it's been physically removed from the
    > computer.
    >

    > I have twice installed Windows then SUSE, and the DVD is OK until SUSE
    > is installed. I once reinstalled Windows afterwards, and the DVD was OK
    > until I booted into the SUSE install and re-installed GRUB.
    >

    > The DVD works fine under SUSE.

    So sometimes you turn off computer and DVD comes back.
    Have you tried any newer version than 10.1, because sometimes bizarre
    problems (actually any problems) are solved in newer version. Linux folks
    learn fast :-)

    > title SUSE Linux 10.1
    >
    > root (hd0,1)
    >
    > kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 vga=0x317 apm=off acpi=off mce=off
    > barrier=off ide=nodma idewait=50 i8042.nomux psmouse.proto=bare irqpoll
    > pci=nommconf resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent showopts

    This seems to overload of problem patch kernel parameters.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

+ Reply to Thread