lookin for a quicky - Suse

This is a discussion on lookin for a quicky - Suse ; Hello Does anyone know of an ftp server thyat has a gui for suse version 9.1. I am runnihng the fde desktop . I thought gftp was supposed to work but I can't find any documentation about the server side ...

  1. lookin for a quicky

    Hello

    Does anyone know of an ftp server thyat has a gui for suse
    version 9.1. I am runnihng the fde desktop . I thought gftp was supposed
    to work but I can't find any documentation about the server side .

    Many thanks for anyone saving me the trouble of learning the terminal
    route !

  2. Re: lookin for a quicky

    slobbodon wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Does anyone know of an ftp server thyat has a gui for suse
    > version 9.1. I am runnihng the fde desktop . I thought gftp was
    > supposed
    > to work but I can't find any documentation about the server side .
    >
    > Many thanks for anyone saving me the trouble of learning the terminal
    > route !

    Not a gui, but ncftp is great. Simple commands and very robust!

    --
    Chris

  3. Re: lookin for a quicky

    "Chris" wrote in message
    > slobbodon wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of an ftp server thyat has a gui for suse
    >> version 9.1. I am runnihng the fde desktop . I thought gftp was
    >> supposed
    >> to work but I can't find any documentation about the server side .
    >>
    >> Many thanks for anyone saving me the trouble of learning the terminal
    >> route !

    > Not a gui, but ncftp is great. Simple commands and very robust!
    >
    > --
    > Chris

    TX I ll check it out !

  4. Re: lookin for a quicky

    slobbodon wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Does anyone know of an ftp server thyat has a gui for suse
    > version 9.1. I am runnihng the fde desktop . I thought gftp was supposed
    > to work but I can't find any documentation about the server side .
    >
    > Many thanks for anyone saving me the trouble of learning the terminal
    > route !

    Try one of the plugins for Firefox. You can even drag and drop to a
    folder (both directions).

    John

  5. Re: lookin for a quicky

    The carbonbased lifeform John Bowling inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > slobbodon wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of an ftp server thyat has a gui for suse
    >> version 9.1. I am runnihng the fde desktop . I thought gftp was supposed
    >> to work but I can't find any documentation about the server side .
    >>
    >> Many thanks for anyone saving me the trouble of learning the terminal
    >> route !
    >>

    > Try one of the plugins for Firefox. You can even drag and drop to a
    > folder (both directions).

    ..."ftp server thyat has a gui"
    What is so hard to read about that (and since when does Ff FTP extension
    have a server)?

    For OP: gFTP has no server role. There are GUIs for e.g. ProFTPd, ask
    Google. But I would recommend to get familiar with the config file(s) of
    a "cli only" ftp server program, because that's what you need when you
    want to administrate the server remotely, it leaves all the memory- and
    CPU recources intact for the FTP server process and it also enables you to
    script maintenance tasks etc.
    Btw: I'd use the standard FTP service that comes with openSUSE: vsFTpd.
    It's easy to understand, safe and fast.

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB

  6. Re: lookin for a quicky

    > Btw: I'd use the standard FTP service that comes with openSUSE: vsFTpd.
    > It's easy to understand, safe and fast.

    Looksa like dats wat Im gonna do !