MP3 problem in SuSE 10.2 x86_64 - Suse

This is a discussion on MP3 problem in SuSE 10.2 x86_64 - Suse ; Something is broken in my install of OpenSuSE 10.2 (Dual-core x86_64 Athlon) From a Terminal I can play MP3s using MPG123. From the GUI 1) Real player - OK 2) Amarok - says "No suitable input plugin. This often means ...

  1. MP3 problem in SuSE 10.2 x86_64

    Something is broken in my install of OpenSuSE 10.2 (Dual-core x86_64
    Athlon)

    From a Terminal I can play MP3s using MPG123.

    From the GUI

    1) Real player - OK

    2) Amarok - says "No suitable input plugin. This often means that the
    url's protocol is not supported. Network failures are other possible
    causes."

    3) Kaffeine - OK

    4) K3B - When started moans about "Mp3 Audio Decoder plugin not found.
    K3b could not load or find the Mp3 decoder plugin. This means that you
    will not be able to create Audio CDs from Mp3 files. Many Linux
    distributions do not include Mp3 support for legal reasons.
    Solution: To enable Mp3 support, please install the MAD Mp3 decoding
    library as well as the K3b MAD Mp3 decoder plugin (the latter may already
    be installed but not functional due to the missing libmad). Some
    distributions allow installation of Mp3 support via an online update tool
    (i.e. SuSE's YOU)."

    =====

    Mad version installed is 0.15.1b-1.pm.3

    Libmad is in
    usr/lib64/libmad.so.0
    /usr/lib64/libmad.so.0.2.1

    K3B is version 1.0.1-31.1 64 bit
    Amarok is 1.4.5-101.guru.suse102 64 bit

    Any help would be appreciated

    Regards
    Gordon

  2. Re: MP3 problem in SuSE 10.2 x86_64

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:41:31 -0500, Gordon Darling wrote:

    > Something is broken in my install of OpenSuSE 10.2 (Dual-core x86_64
    > Athlon)
    >
    > From a Terminal I can play MP3s using MPG123.
    >
    > From the GUI
    >
    > 1) Real player - OK
    >
    > 2) Amarok - says "No suitable input plugin. This often means that the
    > url's protocol is not supported. Network failures are other possible
    > causes."
    >
    > 3) Kaffeine - OK
    >
    > 4) K3B - When started moans about "Mp3 Audio Decoder plugin not found.
    > K3b could not load or find the Mp3 decoder plugin. This means that you
    > will not be able to create Audio CDs from Mp3 files. Many Linux
    > distributions do not include Mp3 support for legal reasons.
    > Solution: To enable Mp3 support, please install the MAD Mp3 decoding
    > library as well as the K3b MAD Mp3 decoder plugin (the latter may already
    > be installed but not functional due to the missing libmad). Some
    > distributions allow installation of Mp3 support via an online update tool
    > (i.e. SuSE's YOU)."
    >
    > =====
    >
    > Mad version installed is 0.15.1b-1.pm.3
    >
    > Libmad is in
    > usr/lib64/libmad.so.0
    > /usr/lib64/libmad.so.0.2.1
    >
    > K3B is version 1.0.1-31.1 64 bit
    > Amarok is 1.4.5-101.guru.suse102 64 bit
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated

    Gordon,

    I think you also need these
    kdemultimedia3-CD-3.5.5-30
    kdemultimedia3-3.5.5-30
    kdemultimedia3-mad-3.5.5-31.pm.0

    your k3b should be OK (its from packman, right?)
    you also need
    k3b-codecs

    --
    Mark

  3. Re: MP3 problem in SuSE 10.2 x86_64

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:52:09 +0000, Mark Pryor wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:41:31 -0500, Gordon Darling wrote:
    >
    >> Something is broken in my install of OpenSuSE 10.2 (Dual-core x86_64
    >> Athlon)
    >>
    >> From a Terminal I can play MP3s using MPG123.
    >>
    >> From the GUI
    >>
    >> 1) Real player - OK
    >>
    >> 2) Amarok - says "No suitable input plugin. This often means that the
    >> url's protocol is not supported. Network failures are other possible
    >> causes."
    >>
    >> 3) Kaffeine - OK
    >>
    >> 4) K3B - When started moans about "Mp3 Audio Decoder plugin not found.
    >> K3b could not load or find the Mp3 decoder plugin. This means that you
    >> will not be able to create Audio CDs from Mp3 files. Many Linux
    >> distributions do not include Mp3 support for legal reasons. Solution:
    >> To enable Mp3 support, please install the MAD Mp3 decoding library as
    >> well as the K3b MAD Mp3 decoder plugin (the latter may already be
    >> installed but not functional due to the missing libmad). Some
    >> distributions allow installation of Mp3 support via an online update
    >> tool (i.e. SuSE's YOU)."
    >>
    >> =====
    >>
    >> Mad version installed is 0.15.1b-1.pm.3
    >>
    >> Libmad is in
    >> usr/lib64/libmad.so.0
    >> /usr/lib64/libmad.so.0.2.1
    >>
    >> K3B is version 1.0.1-31.1 64 bit
    >> Amarok is 1.4.5-101.guru.suse102 64 bit
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated

    > Gordon,
    >
    > I think you also need these
    > kdemultimedia3-CD-3.5.5-30
    > kdemultimedia3-3.5.5-30
    > kdemultimedia3-mad-3.5.5-31.pm.0
    >
    > your k3b should be OK (its from packman, right?) you also need
    > k3b-codecs

    Many thanks Mark. Installed kdemultimedia3-mad & k3b-codecs and problem
    solved.

    The amarok problem seems to have solved itself!

    Once again,
    Many Thanks

    Gordon

+ Reply to Thread