Suse Equivalent of rc.local Corrected - Suse

This is a discussion on Suse Equivalent of rc.local Corrected - Suse ; I am trying to have a simple script to execute a static arp table every time the computer boot up. In Madriva, I did this by adding the following to the rc.local file /sbin/arp -s 192.168.20.20 00:40:b0:c1:f6:c1 /sbin/arp -s 192.168.20.21 ...

  1. Suse Equivalent of rc.local Corrected

    I am trying to have a simple script to execute a static arp table
    every time the computer boot up.

    In Madriva, I did this by adding the following to the rc.local file
    /sbin/arp -s 192.168.20.20 00:40:b0:c1:f6:c1
    /sbin/arp -s 192.168.20.21 00:b4:c8:f1:d0:e6

    In suse 10.2, the nearest thing I can find to rc.local is
    /etc/init.d/boot.local

    When I add the entries to this file and reboot, I check the arp table
    by opening a konsole box and typing /sbin/arp-a

    It fails every time. I then noticed that I can't add static arp
    entries even from the console unless I su to root first.

    In Madriva, this was a simple task, but I find myself frustrated by
    Suse. I like Suse 10.2, and would rather stick with it. Does anyone
    know how I can accomplish this in Suse 10.2?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Suse Equivalent of rc.local Corrected

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:31:00 -0500, meuban wrote:

    > In Madriva, I did this by adding the following to the rc.local file

    > In Madriva, this was a simple task, but I find myself frustrated by
    > Suse.
    > I like Suse 10.2, and would rather stick with it. Does anyone know how
    > I can accomplish this in Suse 10.2?

    Try looking at these links...

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rc.local&btnG=

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/33lfpf

    I'm plugging along trying to solve some installation woes myself but
    IIRC I just added my stuff as one person suggested...

    "in /etc/init.d/rc somewhere after the main runlevel processing."

    If you still get stuck I'll plug in my backup of the previous installand
    look it up but can't right now as I'm compiling a kernel. I'm almost
    positive that is what I did. I had to reinstall but backed up the previous
    install.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

+ Reply to Thread