10.2 - boot problems after trying pen drive distro - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.2 - boot problems after trying pen drive distro - Suse ; I'm still very much a newbie with little knowledge of the command line but trying to learn what not to do fast but the wrong way! I have a SUSE 10.2 dedicated system - default clean installation, no other OS. ...

  1. 10.2 - boot problems after trying pen drive distro

    I'm still very much a newbie with little knowledge of the command line
    but trying to learn what not to do fast but the wrong way!

    I have a SUSE 10.2 dedicated system - default clean installation, no
    other OS.

    I was trying to install Knoppix on a pen drive, following instructions
    via the command prompt. It involved 2 partitions, one FAT and one ext2.
    It was not a success as it hung the system just after the first splash
    screen. That isn't important but I had to use the power switch and it
    looks like I've screwed up Grub.

    10.2 now gets part of the way through boot after "grub loading stage 2"
    then stops with an error which looks as near as I can to this:

    fsck failed for at least one file system (not /) Repair manually
    post file system is already mounted read/write

    earlier there is:

    error stat() /dev/sda2. No such file or directory.
    fsck.ex2 /dev/sda2 failed (status 0x8)
    and then:
    /sda2:
    the superblock couldn't be read or does not describe a correct ext2. If
    the device is valid . . . .

    Now if I put the faulty pen drive in, the boot process continues in some
    kind of diagnostic mode for a few lines and asks for root password. I
    have no idea where to go from typing in the password and getting a "none
    xxx" prompt.

    Now I'm not surprised that sda2 can't be found - it is the second
    partition on the pen drive and the only one using ext2 - main system is
    ext3 if I remember.. If I leave the pen drive plugged in and reboot then
    SUSE boots perfectly, the pen drive can be removed and everything works
    fine from there on until the next boot.

    I guess the boot process is insisting on the pen drive but I have no
    idea what to do about that. Can anyone help please - in language for a
    command line illiterate? (I have read another boot problem thread and
    there are similarities but not for the same reason).

    --
    Duncan K
    Downtown Dalgety Bay

  2. Re: 10.2 - boot problems after trying pen drive distro

    Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    > I'm still very much a newbie with little knowledge of the command line
    > but trying to learn what not to do fast but the wrong way!
    >
    > I have a SUSE 10.2 dedicated system - default clean installation, no
    > other OS.
    >
    > I was trying to install Knoppix on a pen drive, following instructions
    > via the command prompt. It involved 2 partitions, one FAT and one ext2.
    > It was not a success as it hung the system just after the first splash
    > screen. That isn't important but I had to use the power switch and it
    > looks like I've screwed up Grub.
    >
    > 10.2 now gets part of the way through boot after "grub loading stage 2"
    > then stops with an error which looks as near as I can to this:
    >
    > fsck failed for at least one file system (not /) Repair manually
    > post file system is already mounted read/write
    >
    > earlier there is:
    >
    > error stat() /dev/sda2. No such file or directory.
    > fsck.ex2 /dev/sda2 failed (status 0x8)
    > and then:
    > /sda2:
    > the superblock couldn't be read or does not describe a correct ext2. If
    > the device is valid . . . .
    >
    > Now if I put the faulty pen drive in, the boot process continues in some
    > kind of diagnostic mode for a few lines and asks for root password. I
    > have no idea where to go from typing in the password and getting a "none
    > xxx" prompt.
    >
    > Now I'm not surprised that sda2 can't be found - it is the second
    > partition on the pen drive and the only one using ext2 - main system is
    > ext3 if I remember.. If I leave the pen drive plugged in and reboot then
    > SUSE boots perfectly, the pen drive can be removed and everything works
    > fine from there on until the next boot.
    >
    > I guess the boot process is insisting on the pen drive but I have no
    > idea what to do about that. Can anyone help please - in language for a
    > command line illiterate? (I have read another boot problem thread and
    > there are similarities but not for the same reason).

    With the pen drive in place, boot the system.
    Go to Yast > System > Partitioner
    It should show the partitions on the pen drive.
    If it does, it requires the pen drive to fully boot.
    Go to the line with the pen drive partition(s) /dev/sdax and edit the
    mount point (make it totally blank). Make sure it is the pen drive!
    Then [Apply]. This removes it from fstab (which you could do manually
    but it requires command line stuff and a non-gui editor).

    Exit Yast and you can boot without the pen drive.

    It may give you some problems in accessing that partition when you try
    to boot from the pen drive.

    John

  3. Re: 10.2 - boot problems after trying pen drive distro

    In message , John Bowling
    writes
    >Duncan Kennedy wrote:
    >>
    >> 10.2 now gets part of the way through boot after "grub loading stage 2"
    >> then stops with an error which looks as near as I can to this:
    >>
    >> fsck failed for at least one file system (not /) Repair manually
    >> post file system is already mounted read/write
    >>

    >With the pen drive in place, boot the system.
    >Go to Yast > System > Partitioner
    >It should show the partitions on the pen drive.
    >If it does, it requires the pen drive to fully boot.
    >Go to the line with the pen drive partition(s) /dev/sdax and edit the
    >mount point (make it totally blank). Make sure it is the pen drive!
    >Then [Apply]. This removes it from fstab (which you could do manually
    >but it requires command line stuff and a non-gui editor).
    >
    >Exit Yast and you can boot without the pen drive.

    Magic, John, many thanks

    I've only just got back from working away - and now I can boot without
    the pen drive

    >It may give you some problems in accessing that partition when you try
    >to boot from the pen drive.
    >
    >John

    Not a problem - about to wipe it - it was a faulty installation

    For the record, I *am trying to learn about the command line but I don't
    really know what I'm doing - that's how I got into this mess.

    On reflection I w3onder if I could do it again and sell the things as
    security dongles? :-)

    Thanks again

    --
    Duncank