For the Linux gurus - what does this mean? - Suse

This is a discussion on For the Linux gurus - what does this mean? - Suse ; I have an application that's giving me an error message when I try to open or save a file (i.e. File > Open, or File > Save). The message that appears in the gui is: "The folder contents could not ...

  1. For the Linux gurus - what does this mean?

    I have an application that's giving me an error message when I try to
    open or save a file (i.e. File > Open, or File > Save). The message
    that appears in the gui is:

    "The folder contents could not be displayed
    VFS error: Invalid parameters"

    In a terminal window (if I launch the application from the command line)
    the same operation produces this warning message (about 12 times over!):

    (:7825): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot load module
    `/opt/gnome/lib64/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libfile.so'
    (/usr/local/comsol33/lib/glnxa64/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not
    found (required by /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6))

    So is 'GCC_4.2.0' the file that it needs but can't find? I'm trying to
    figure out if this is something I can fix.

    Thanks for any advice. I talked to tech support for the application,
    and they said the only time they've seen this is when running the
    application on VMware (which I'm not). So I'm sure what to do. -pat

  2. Re: For the Linux gurus - what does this mean?

    Pat wrote:
    > I have an application that's giving me an error message when I try to
    > open or save a file (i.e. File > Open, or File > Save). The message
    > that appears in the gui is:
    >
    > "The folder contents could not be displayed
    > VFS error: Invalid parameters"
    >
    > In a terminal window (if I launch the application from the command line)
    > the same operation produces this warning message (about 12 times over!):
    >
    > (:7825): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot load module
    > `/opt/gnome/lib64/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libfile.so'
    > (/usr/local/comsol33/lib/glnxa64/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not
    > found (required by /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6))
    >

    > So is 'GCC_4.2.0' the file that it needs but can't find? I'm trying to
    > figure out if this is something I can fix.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice. I talked to tech support for the application,
    > and they said the only time they've seen this is when running the
    > application on VMware (which I'm not). So I'm sure what to do. -pat

    One other thing I just discovered about this. The problem only occurs
    when the Gnome desktop is running. If I run KDE instead, the
    application works fine. So it appears to be something specific to the
    Gnome environment (as the warning message also indicates).

    Pat

  3. Re: For the Linux gurus - what does this mean?

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:49:39 -0400, Pat wrote:

    > In a terminal window (if I launch the application from the command
    > line) the same operation produces this warning message (about 12
    > times over!):

    > (:7825): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot load module
    > `/opt/gnome/lib64/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libfile.so'
    > (/usr/local/comsol33/lib/glnxa64/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not
    > found (required by /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6))

    > So is 'GCC_4.2.0' the file that it needs but can't find? I'm trying to
    > figure out if this is something I can fix.

    From man gcc...

    gcc - GNU project C and C++ compiler

    GCC_4.2.0 is a version level of the compiler. To see what you have run
    in a terminal

    gcc -v

    My suse is busted right now but on slackware I get this...

    ron@CRAY:/root$ gcc -v
    Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.3.6/specs
    Configured with: ../gcc-3.3.6/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared
    --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-checking
    --with-gnu-ld --verbose --target=i486-slackware-linux
    --host=i486-slackware-linux
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 3.3.6

    If you get no output it's not installed.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  4. Re: For the Linux gurus - what does this mean?

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:05:32 -0400, Pat wrote:

    >> So is 'GCC_4.2.0' the file that it needs but can't find? I'm trying

    > One other thing I just discovered about this. The problem only occurs
    > when the Gnome desktop is running. If I run KDE instead, the application
    > works fine. So it appears to be something specific to the Gnome
    > environment (as the warning message also indicates).

    Now that is odd. And you say this is an application? What kind so that
    it needs to invoke the compiler. Are you doing some sort of development?

    I don't ever use Gnome, but I sure don't see why it would cause gcc to
    disappear ;-|

    You could set the environment in a terminal so it points to that version
    of gcc but alas, I failed to record that tip when I ran across it one
    day. IOW, find out the right syntax and you can force the session to use
    the required gcc.

    I'm gonna try to recover that information...Oh I found a bit of it...

    If you have multiple versions of GCC installed on your system, it is
    preferred to type "gfortran-$(gcc4.0-version)" (without double quotes) in
    order to use the GNU Fortran 95 compiler version 4.0.1.

    So perhaps you could do something like set...

    gcc-$(gcc4.0-version)

    Wish I could help more but I'm a C klutz.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  5. Re: For the Linux gurus - what does this mean?

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:49:39 -0400, Pat wrote:
    >
    >> In a terminal window (if I launch the application from the command
    >> line) the same operation produces this warning message (about 12
    >> times over!):

    >> (:7825): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot load module
    >> `/opt/gnome/lib64/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libfile.so'
    >> (/usr/local/comsol33/lib/glnxa64/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not
    >> found (required by /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6))

    >> So is 'GCC_4.2.0' the file that it needs but can't find? I'm trying to
    >> figure out if this is something I can fix.

    > From man gcc...
    >
    > gcc - GNU project C and C++ compiler
    >
    > GCC_4.2.0 is a version level of the compiler. To see what you have run
    > in a terminal
    >
    > gcc -v
    >
    > My suse is busted right now but on slackware I get this...
    >
    > ron@CRAY:/root$ gcc -v
    > Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.3.6/specs
    > Configured with: ../gcc-3.3.6/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared
    > --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-checking
    > --with-gnu-ld --verbose --target=i486-slackware-linux
    > --host=i486-slackware-linux
    > Thread model: posix
    > gcc version 3.3.6
    >
    > If you get no output it's not installed.

    After searching the web on this issue (which appears to be fairly
    common) I came across a solution that seems to have fixed the problem
    (and didn't involve installing gcc_4.2.0)

    I basically renamed the file "libgcc_s.so.1" (which I think was the one
    trying to access GCC_4.2.0) to something else so the application
    wouldn't use it, and would use instead the corresponding library already
    installed on the system (at least that's my understanding of why it works).

    I found this suggestion in the following thread:

    http://forums.introversion.co.uk/dar...ic.php?p=38037

    and was a bit amazed when it worked for my case as well. It was easy to
    do, so I'm glad it did.

    -Pat

  6. Re: For the Linux gurus - what does this mean?

    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:05:26 -0400, Pat wrote:

    >> ron@CRAY:/root$ gcc -v
    >> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-slackware-linux/3.3.6/specs
    >> Configured with: ../gcc-3.3.6/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared
    >> --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-checking
    >> --with-gnu-ld --verbose --target=i486-slackware-linux
    >> --host=i486-slackware-linux
    >> Thread model: posix
    >> gcc version 3.3.6

    >> If you get no output it's not installed.

    > After searching the web on this issue (which appears to be fairly common)
    > I came across a solution that seems to have fixed the problem (and didn't
    > involve installing gcc_4.2.0)

    > I basically renamed the file "libgcc_s.so.1" (which I think was the one
    > trying to access GCC_4.2.0) to something else so the application wouldn't
    > use it, and would use instead the corresponding library already installed
    > on the system (at least that's my understanding of why it works).

    Well good. You're doing better than I am with my problem. I can't find a
    thing on my problem.

    > I found this suggestion in the following thread:

    > http://forums.introversion.co.uk/dar...ic.php?p=38037

    > and was a bit amazed when it worked for my case as well. It was easy to
    > do, so I'm glad it did.

    Well in general you can install a number of additional libs as long as
    they don't conflict with already installed libs. However you can find
    ways around even that by staring a app with a script that requires a
    particular lib that you don't want used system wide. I do that on my
    little web space provider (I rent that space). I wanted to use mc to
    help me manage my files. But the server did not have some libs I needed
    so I just added them. In this case I need binaries and libs so I added a
    local profile...

    -jailshell-2.05b$ cat ./.profile
    export PATH=$PATH:~/usr/bin:~/usr/lib/mc:~/usr/sbin:~/usr/lib/mc/extfs

    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:~/usr/lib/mc:~/usr/lib-jailshell-2.05b$

    Of course I had to make the directories and upload the files.

    What you'd do for an app is start it with a script and export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    to include what is needed just for that session.

    But your solution gave me an idea too for my problem. The file
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6) has a predecessor ibstdc++.so.5

    I'm not sure what the differences are but several apps use it and
    it's not always installed these days.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  7. Re: For the Linux gurus - what does this mean?

    On 2007-06-14 22:20, Ron Gibson wrote:

    > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:~/usr/lib/mc:~/usr/lib-jailshell-2.05b$

    LD_LIBRARY_PATH should not be used in .profile, it will give you more problems
    then you expect to solve.

    You may use it in a wrapper for a broken application, or when you are testing
    libs or something, but not in your default environment.

    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/_/ldpath.html

    /birre

  8. Re: For the Linux gurus - what does this mean?

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:15:56 +0200, birre wrote:

    >> export

    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:~/usr/lib/mc:~/usr/lib-jailshell-2.05b$

    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH should not be used in .profile, it will give you more
    > problems then you expect to solve.

    > You may use it in a wrapper for a broken application, or when you are
    > testing libs or something, but not in your default environment.

    That was just a example for doing it on a web server. For an application
    simply use it in a script and the setting is local to that tty or
    terminal only.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

+ Reply to Thread