How should I format drive for WindowsXP and Suse 10.1? - Suse

This is a discussion on How should I format drive for WindowsXP and Suse 10.1? - Suse ; Hello, I want to set up a dual booting computer with Suse Linux 10.1 and WindowsXP. It is a new Dell that has WindowsXP already installed. I don't think the drive has any partitions. They set up our last one ...

  1. How should I format drive for WindowsXP and Suse 10.1?

    Hello, I want to set up a dual booting computer with Suse Linux 10.1
    and WindowsXP. It is a new Dell that has WindowsXP already installed.
    I don't think the drive has any partitions. They set up our last one
    with WindowsXP in an NTFS part, Linux in a Reisser part, and Linux
    swap in some other part, then a few thirty-two gigabyte parts
    formatted in FAT 32, so Suse 10.1 and WindowsXP could both read data
    in them.

    I'm told new Suse 10.1 can read NTFS, so we can have a part for
    windows operating system, a part for suse, a part for suse swap, and a
    part for all data in NTFS.
    Is this the best way to do it? Somebody else told me they used NTFS
    for a windowsXP part, and Ext3 for a big linux part that includes home
    directories. Then you can use a small program that can read the Ext3
    for Windows.

    Anyway I am very confused and wold appreciate knowing if the best is
    to have a partition in NTFS for WindowsXP, a partition in NTFS for
    Suse, a swap partition, and that's all? Or what?

    Thank you if you can help me understand how best to partition for dual
    booting with Suse 10.1 and WindowsXP.

    Thanks...
    Sarah

  2. Re: How should I format drive for WindowsXP and Suse 10.1?

    Sarah wrote:
    > Hello, I want to set up a dual booting computer with Suse Linux 10.1
    > and WindowsXP. It is a new Dell that has WindowsXP already installed.
    > I don't think the drive has any partitions. They set up our last one
    > with WindowsXP in an NTFS part, Linux in a Reisser part, and Linux
    > swap in some other part, then a few thirty-two gigabyte parts
    > formatted in FAT 32, so Suse 10.1 and WindowsXP could both read data
    > in them.

    Why not go wuth 10.2?

    > I'm told new Suse 10.1 can read NTFS, so we can have a part for
    > windows operating system, a part for suse, a part for suse swap, and a
    > part for all data in NTFS.

    Yes, however FAT32 is writable as well.

    > Is this the best way to do it? Somebody else told me they used NTFS
    > for a windowsXP part, and Ext3 for a big linux part that includes home
    > directories. Then you can use a small program that can read the Ext3
    > for Windows.

    Also an option, but I would still go for the FAT32 solution as that one
    is suported nativaly by both.

    > Anyway I am very confused and wold appreciate knowing if the best is
    > to have a partition in NTFS for WindowsXP, a partition in NTFS for
    > Suse, a swap partition, and that's all? Or what?

    OK. NTFS for Windows. USe whatever you need. Then make a FAT32 in
    Windows. Leave as much place free for Linux, understanding that you will
    have three partitions. A swap, a / and a /home. Leave that empty. The
    installation will know what to do with it.

    It is hard to say what the spae should be for each partition.

    houghi
    --
    You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
    sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of

  3. Re: How should I format drive for WindowsXP and Suse 10.1?

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:26:49 -0700, Sarah wrote:

    > Hello, I want to set up a dual booting computer with Suse Linux 10.1
    > and WindowsXP. It is a new Dell that has WindowsXP already installed.
    > I don't think the drive has any partitions. They set up our last one
    > with WindowsXP in an NTFS part, Linux in a Reisser part, and Linux
    > swap in some other part, then a few thirty-two gigabyte parts
    > formatted in FAT 32, so Suse 10.1 and WindowsXP could both read data
    > in them.
    >
    > I'm told new Suse 10.1 can read NTFS, so we can have a part for
    > windows operating system, a part for suse, a part for suse swap, and a
    > part for all data in NTFS.

    Linux distros have been able to READ ntfs for quite some time. With the
    advent of ntfs-3g it is now possible to write to ntfs as well.

    > Is this the best way to do it? Somebody else told me they used NTFS
    > for a windowsXP part, and Ext3 for a big linux part that includes home
    > directories. Then you can use a small program that can read the Ext3
    > for Windows.
    >
    > Anyway I am very confused and wold appreciate knowing if the best is
    > to have a partition in NTFS for WindowsXP, a partition in NTFS for
    > Suse, a swap partition, and that's all? Or what?

    What, exactly are you trying to accomplish - that would dictate the data
    layout. AFAIK Suse will not install on a ntfs partition, so that will not
    work. Given what you've said so far, I'd probably set four paritions. ntfs
    for ms, linux swap, linux (reiser or ext) and a data partition (either fat
    or ntfs).

    BTW - dual booting does indeed get tedious. Is there a reason you need to
    do that? Have you tried to run your 'necessary' MS apps on Linux using
    WINE? Possibly a virtual machine would be a better solution.

    > Thank you if you can help me understand how best to partition for dual
    > booting with Suse 10.1 and WindowsXP.
    >
    > Thanks...
    > Sarah

  4. Re: How should I format drive for WindowsXP and Suse 10.1?

    On 2007-06-14 05:26, Sarah wrote:
    > Hello, I want to set up a dual booting computer with Suse Linux 10.1
    > and WindowsXP. It is a new Dell that has WindowsXP already installed.
    > I don't think the drive has any partitions. They set up our last one
    > with WindowsXP in an NTFS part, Linux in a Reisser part, and Linux
    > swap in some other part, then a few thirty-two gigabyte parts
    > formatted in FAT 32, so Suse 10.1 and WindowsXP could both read data
    > in them.
    >
    > I'm told new Suse 10.1 can read NTFS, so we can have a part for
    > windows operating system, a part for suse, a part for suse swap, and a
    > part for all data in NTFS.
    > Is this the best way to do it? Somebody else told me they used NTFS
    > for a windowsXP part, and Ext3 for a big linux part that includes home
    > directories. Then you can use a small program that can read the Ext3
    > for Windows.
    >
    > Anyway I am very confused and wold appreciate knowing if the best is
    > to have a partition in NTFS for WindowsXP, a partition in NTFS for
    > Suse, a swap partition, and that's all? Or what?
    >
    > Thank you if you can help me understand how best to partition for dual
    > booting with Suse 10.1 and WindowsXP.
    >
    > Thanks...
    > Sarah

    Don't try to run suse on ntfs :-)

    If you install opensuse 10.2 instead of 10.1 , you will get
    ext3 as the default filesystem, and you can also mount this
    in windows read/write (but be careful)
    http://www.fs-driver.org/

    This is much better then making a vfat for common files, due to
    all limits vfat has.

    And don't think so much about the partitions, you will get help
    by YaST when you install suse.

    And backup is something you always must have in any case.

    NTFS is just very hard to handle for free software, since ntfs
    specs is not released, and I found some article claiming there is some
    complicated (fat) stuff in the middle of the ntfs partition , but if you save
    60% as C: and defrag it in windows first, it should not be any problems.

    /birre

  5. Re: How should I format drive for WindowsXP and Suse 10.1?

    Why not consider the 2007 approach?
    Go virtual!

    Whether you install XP as host and Suse as client or visaversa it simply
    runs very smoothly.
    You have allways access to both OS, and may use tools from your prefered
    application on the fly.

    Using VMware(my pref) its even free (except of course the XP-OS)

    using a decent PC, you don't even notice perf.loss - of course a dualcore
    is the best.

    It's easy to move a guestOS to quite another machine if neccesary one day.

    finn

  6. Re: How should I format drive for WindowsXP and Suse 10.1?

    On 2007-06-14 23:20, fix wrote:
    > Why not consider the 2007 approach?
    > Go virtual!

    My 1995 approach was to never use any Microsoft products :-)

    But for them that do use windows, sure, why not virtual, even
    if windows isn't made for it, or even made for NOT be easy to
    use on the same machine as other OS.

    Take for example the clock, where windows will change the time
    of the hardware clock when summer/standard time shift. :-/

    How good is this for *ux that just display the time with the
    new offset?

    It's small things like this that made me discover in the early
    90's that Microsoft was stuck in the single user, small office
    environment by design, and should never be able to handle
    cooperation over the Internet well, where users of one machine
    should be able to have different location and timezone.

    So, why infect a otherwise good hardware with that crap if you can
    live without it?

    /birre

  7. Re: How should I format drive for WindowsXP and Suse 10.1?

    On Jun 14, 8:48 am, ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:26:49 -0700, Sarah wrote:
    > > Hello, I want to set up a dual booting computer with Suse Linux 10.1
    > > and WindowsXP. It is a new Dell that has WindowsXP already installed.
    > > I don't think the drive has any partitions. They set up our last one
    > > with WindowsXP in an NTFS part, Linux in a Reisser part, and Linux
    > > swap in some other part, then a few thirty-two gigabyte parts
    > > formatted in FAT 32, so Suse 10.1 and WindowsXP could both read data
    > > in them.

    > > I'm told new Suse 10.1 can read NTFS, so we can have a part for
    > > windows operating system, a part for suse, a part for suse swap, and a
    > > part for all data in NTFS.

    > Linux distros have been able to READ ntfs for quite some time. With the
    > advent of ntfs-3g it is now possible to write to ntfs as well.
    >
    > > Is this the best way to do it? Somebody else told me they used NTFS
    > > for a windowsXP part, and Ext3 for a big linux part that includes home
    > > directories. Then you can use a small program that can read the Ext3
    > > for Windows.

    > > Anyway I am very confused and wold appreciate knowing if the best is
    > > to have a partition in NTFS for WindowsXP, a partition in NTFS for
    > > Suse, a swap partition, and that's all? Or what?

    > What, exactly are you trying to accomplish - that would dictate the data
    > layout. AFAIK Suse will not install on a ntfs partition, so that will not
    > work. Given what you've said so far, I'd probably set four paritions. ntfs
    > for ms, linux swap, linux (reiser or ext) and a data partition (either fat
    > or ntfs).
    >
    > BTW - dual booting does indeed get tedious. Is there a reason you need to
    > do that? Have you tried to run your 'necessary' MS apps on Linux using
    > WINE? Possibly a virtual machine would be a better solution.
    >

    > > Thank you if you can help me understand how best to partition for dual
    > > booting with Suse 10.1 and WindowsXP.

    > > Thanks...
    > > Sarah

    Hello, thank you for the reply.

    What is wine? I think I know what a virtual machine is, where you run
    one operating system under another one, but is wine a good idea for
    me? I have 1 gigabyte of ram but could upgrade to as much as 4.

    Thanks,

    Sarah

  8. Re: How should I format drive for WindowsXP and Suse 10.1?

    On Jun 14, 3:20 pm, "fix" wrote:
    > Why not consider the 2007 approach?
    > Go virtual!
    >
    > Whether you install XP as host and Suse as client or visaversa it simply
    > runs very smoothly.
    > You have allways access to both OS, and may use tools from your prefered
    > application on the fly.
    >
    > Using VMware(my pref) its even free (except of course the XP-OS)
    >
    > using a decent PC, you don't even notice perf.loss - of course a dualcore
    > is the best.
    >
    > It's easy to move a guestOS to quite another machine if neccesary one day.
    >
    > finn

    How much ram do you need? I have a fast machine, but limited to 4 gigs
    of RAM.

    Thanks,
    Sarah

  9. Re: How should I format drive for WindowsXP and Suse 10.1?

    Sarah wrote:
    > How much ram do you need? I have a fast machine, but limited to 4 gigs
    > of RAM.

    I have a 3.04GHz 32 bit machine with 1GB of ram and the limiting factor
    when I use Parallels (http://parallels.com) is the processor more then
    the memory.

    You can download a version there and see if it works. You need to
    register and you will get twee weeks to test it for free. Try it out and
    see if it works for you.

    If it doesn't, you can either decide to put in extra memory, use
    someting else or buy a second PC to use or decide whatever you desire.
    ;-)

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  10. Re: How should I format drive for WindowsXP and Suse 10.1?

    Sarah wrote:
    > What is wine? I think I know what a virtual machine is, where you run
    > one operating system under another one, but is wine a good idea for
    > me? I have 1 gigabyte of ram but could upgrade to as much as 4.

    Wine Is no an Emulator. :-D It makes it possible to run some Windows
    programs. It is available on openSUSE, so install it and then look at
    http://winehq.org/

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

+ Reply to Thread