Running windows software under Wine - Suse

This is a discussion on Running windows software under Wine - Suse ; Hi there, wondering if I could get some noob hints at running windows software under Wine. I am running Suse 10.0 at the moment on a Dual boot system so there is no big problem if this isn't possible but ...

  1. Running windows software under Wine

    Hi there, wondering if I could get some noob hints at running windows
    software under Wine. I am running Suse 10.0 at the moment on a Dual boot
    system so there is no big problem if this isn't possible but it might be
    nic eto not have to reboot just to use a certain program and then have to
    boot back up to Linux. I realise that some software will not run
    properly under Wine but was hoping someone could clarify a few pointers on
    what is best to do to get software running.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Running windows software under Wine

    Mark Scott wrote:
    > Hi there, wondering if I could get some noob hints at running windows
    > software under Wine. I am running Suse 10.0 at the moment on a Dual boot
    > system so there is no big problem if this isn't possible but it might be
    > nic eto not have to reboot just to use a certain program and then have to
    > boot back up to Linux. I realise that some software will not run
    > properly under Wine but was hoping someone could clarify a few pointers on
    > what is best to do to get software running.

    First tell what program you want to run. Several do not work at all.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.

  3. Re: Running windows software under Wine

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:10:23 +0100, Mark Scott wrote:

    > Hi there, wondering if I could get some noob hints at running windows
    > software under Wine. I am running Suse 10.0 at the moment on a Dual boot
    > system so there is no big problem if this isn't possible but it might be
    > nic eto not have to reboot just to use a certain program and then have to
    > boot back up to Linux. I realise that some software will not run
    > properly under Wine but was hoping someone could clarify a few pointers on
    > what is best to do to get software running.
    >
    > Thanks

    1) install WINE
    2) install MS software

  4. Re: Running windows software under Wine

    Mark Scott wrote:

    > Hi there, wondering if I could get some noob hints at running windows
    > software under Wine. I am running Suse 10.0 at the moment on a Dual boot
    > system so there is no big problem if this isn't possible but it might be
    > nic eto not have to reboot just to use a certain program and then have to
    > boot back up to Linux. I realise that some software will not run
    > properly under Wine but was hoping someone could clarify a few pointers on
    > what is best to do to get software running.
    >
    > Thanks

    Every program is different. Some like MS Flight Navigator you would install
    Wine, then in a console type in something
    like 'wine /media/cdrom/setup.exe" (depending where the installation disk
    is located) and wine will install the program and add a menu entry.

    Other programs you have to invoke all kinds of switches when running the
    installation. And I got QuickBooks (although it was the older version 4
    for Windows) by simply copying the directory from an installed version on
    my WinXP partition, adding a link to the executeable on my desktop. And it
    just worked. QuickBooks would not install in the normal manner.

    Check the database on http://www.winehq.org/ for specific instructions for
    each program and version. Some will install and run normally, and others
    will install but have some problems running, and everything in between.
    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  5. Re: Running windows software under Wine

    Also have a look at http://frankscorner.org/

    --
    In a world without wall or fences ... who need windows or gates??
    -unknown-

  6. Re: Running windows software under Wine

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:38:53 +0000, EMG wrote:

    > Mark Scott wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there, wondering if I could get some noob hints at running windows
    >> software under Wine. I am running Suse 10.0 at the moment on a Dual boot
    >> system so there is no big problem if this isn't possible but it might be
    >> nic eto not have to reboot just to use a certain program and then have to
    >> boot back up to Linux. I realise that some software will not run
    >> properly under Wine but was hoping someone could clarify a few pointers on
    >> what is best to do to get software running.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Also have a look at http://frankscorner.org/

    Thankyou, that was the sort of thing I was looking for (not the 2 step
    solutions someone thought would be amusing to write down). I have
    installed Photoshop and while it looks like it has worked and it starts
    booting up it fails and crashes at the very last minute but this is
    workign on someone elses Linux machines in the department but it was set
    up by a 3rd party. generally I was looking for an idiots guide to this
    sort of stuff and a possible insight into what mistakes I was making
    trying to get Photoshop to work.

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread