Newbie Help. System no longer boots. - Suse

This is a discussion on Newbie Help. System no longer boots. - Suse ; Firstly, please forgive my complete lack of knowledge regarding all things X based. Trying to get up to to speed quickly! I have a problem with a SUSE 9.1 installation that has been working fine for a year or so. ...

  1. Newbie Help. System no longer boots.

    Firstly, please forgive my complete lack of knowledge regarding all things X
    based. Trying to get up to to speed quickly!

    I have a problem with a SUSE 9.1 installation that has been working fine for
    a year or so. Its running on a 'standard' IDE PC, nothing fancy. I think
    we must have had a power blip and the stystem has rebooted but only as far
    as trying to load the OS (it used to boot straight into KDE).

    The text on the screen looks okay until a line as follows:

    Adding 1028152k swap on /dev/hdb2. Priority:42 extents:1 failed

    After some more text that looks fairly okay I get

    fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. The root file system is
    currently mounted read-only. To remount it read-write do:
    bash# mount -n -o remount, rw /

    I then need to log in.

    I can log in and I can mount the file system rw as, I am guessing, I was
    instructed to do by the message above.

    My question is now what? I'm guessing I've got a corrupt swap file but can
    I recreate it continue to boot normally or is this a hopeless case?

    Thanks in advance.

    Tim

    --
    I never wish I was not what I was not when I didn't wish what I was not was
    not what I am not.

  2. Re: Newbie Help. System no longer boots.

    Tim Gordon wrote:
    > Firstly, please forgive my complete lack of knowledge regarding all things X
    > based. Trying to get up to to speed quickly!
    >
    > I have a problem with a SUSE 9.1 installation that has been working fine for
    > a year or so. Its running on a 'standard' IDE PC, nothing fancy. I think
    > we must have had a power blip and the stystem has rebooted but only as far
    > as trying to load the OS (it used to boot straight into KDE).

    Understand that 9.1 won't get any security upodates anymore.

    > The text on the screen looks okay until a line as follows:
    >
    > Adding 1028152k swap on /dev/hdb2. Priority:42 extents:1 failed

    mmm. swaf partition corrupt, or so it seems.

    > After some more text that looks fairly okay I get
    >
    > fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. The root file system is
    > currently mounted read-only. To remount it read-write do:
    > bash# mount -n -o remount, rw /

    You could try the following:
    1) log in as root
    2) fsck -y /dev/hdb2

    If that does not work, you need to do the following
    1) log in as root
    2) mount -n -o remount, rw /
    3) edit /etc/fstab by putting a # in front of the swap file
    4) [CTRL][d] to reboot without swap.

    When in KDE, start YaST and in the partitioner apoint /dev/hdb2 to be
    swap again.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.

  3. Re: Newbie Help. System no longer boots.

    "houghi" wrote in message
    > Tim Gordon wrote:
    >> Firstly, please forgive my complete lack of knowledge regarding all
    >> things X
    >> based. Trying to get up to to speed quickly!
    >>
    >> I have a problem with a SUSE 9.1 installation that has been working fine
    >> for
    >> a year or so. Its running on a 'standard' IDE PC, nothing fancy. I
    >> think
    >> we must have had a power blip and the stystem has rebooted but only as
    >> far
    >> as trying to load the OS (it used to boot straight into KDE).

    > Understand that 9.1 won't get any security upodates anymore.
    >
    >> The text on the screen looks okay until a line as follows:
    >>
    >> Adding 1028152k swap on /dev/hdb2. Priority:42 extents:1 failed

    > mmm. swaf partition corrupt, or so it seems.
    >
    >> After some more text that looks fairly okay I get
    >>
    >> fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. The root file system is
    >> currently mounted read-only. To remount it read-write do:
    >> bash# mount -n -o remount, rw /

    > You could try the following:
    > 1) log in as root
    > 2) fsck -y /dev/hdb2
    >
    > If that does not work, you need to do the following
    > 1) log in as root
    > 2) mount -n -o remount, rw /
    > 3) edit /etc/fstab by putting a # in front of the swap file
    > 4) [CTRL][d] to reboot without swap.
    >
    > When in KDE, start YaST and in the partitioner apoint /dev/hdb2 to be
    > swap again.

    Thanks for that. The first thing just didn't work. I added the hash into
    the fstab file but it still seems to try and load the swap file - I still
    get a swap file error but it no longer mentions any particular partition. I
    tried to start KDE but it wont. Any other ideas?

    Tim

    --
    I never wish I was not what I was not when I didn't wish what I was not was
    not what I am not.

  4. Re: Newbie Help. System no longer boots.

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:30:39 +0000, Tim Gordon wrote:

    > Firstly, please forgive my complete lack of knowledge regarding all things X
    > based. Trying to get up to to speed quickly!
    >
    > I have a problem with a SUSE 9.1 installation that has been working fine for
    > a year or so. Its running on a 'standard' IDE PC, nothing fancy. I think
    > we must have had a power blip and the stystem has rebooted but only as far
    > as trying to load the OS (it used to boot straight into KDE).
    >
    > The text on the screen looks okay until a line as follows:
    >
    > Adding 1028152k swap on /dev/hdb2. Priority:42 extents:1 failed
    >
    > After some more text that looks fairly okay I get
    >
    > fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. The root file system is
    > currently mounted read-only. To remount it read-write do:
    > bash# mount -n -o remount, rw /
    >
    > I then need to log in.
    >
    > I can log in and I can mount the file system rw as, I am guessing, I was
    > instructed to do by the message above.
    >
    > My question is now what? I'm guessing I've got a corrupt swap file but can
    > I recreate it continue to boot normally or is this a hopeless case?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Tim

    I suggest you boot a Live CD and do 'badblocks' on your partitions - find
    out if the drive is all right or not.

  5. Re: Newbie Help. System no longer boots.

    "ray" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.06.13.13.41.55.891316@zianet.com...
    > On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:30:39 +0000, Tim Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> Firstly, please forgive my complete lack of knowledge regarding all
    >> things X
    >> based. Trying to get up to to speed quickly!
    >>
    >> I have a problem with a SUSE 9.1 installation that has been working fine
    >> for
    >> a year or so. Its running on a 'standard' IDE PC, nothing fancy. I
    >> think
    >> we must have had a power blip and the stystem has rebooted but only as
    >> far
    >> as trying to load the OS (it used to boot straight into KDE).
    >>
    >> The text on the screen looks okay until a line as follows:
    >>
    >> Adding 1028152k swap on /dev/hdb2. Priority:42 extents:1 failed
    >>
    >> After some more text that looks fairly okay I get
    >>
    >> fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. The root file system is
    >> currently mounted read-only. To remount it read-write do:
    >> bash# mount -n -o remount, rw /
    >>
    >> I then need to log in.
    >>
    >> I can log in and I can mount the file system rw as, I am guessing, I was
    >> instructed to do by the message above.
    >>
    >> My question is now what? I'm guessing I've got a corrupt swap file but
    >> can
    >> I recreate it continue to boot normally or is this a hopeless case?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Tim

    > I suggest you boot a Live CD and do 'badblocks' on your partitions - find
    > out if the drive is all right or not.

    I've sorted it. I had to do 'reiserfsck--rebuild-tree /dev/hdba2' and it
    all worked after that.

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    Tim

    --
    I never wish I was not what I was not when I didn't wish what I was not was
    not what I am not.

  6. Re: Newbie Help. System no longer boots.

    **** Right here***** big clue

    >>> fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. The root file system
    >>> is currently mounted read-only. To remount it read-write do:
    >>> bash# mount
    >>> -n -o remount, rw /

    This is more or less a standard message. I'm inclined to think your disk
    geometry has changed or you've somehow gotten a corrupted /etc/fstab.

    It will cause exactly the same messages and I've never heard of a bad
    swap file. If the partition that it's trying use as swap is not a swap
    partition then of course it will fail.

    > Thanks for that. The first thing just didn't work. I added the hash into
    > the fstab file but it still seems to try and load the swap file - I still
    > get a swap file error but it no longer mentions any particular partition.
    > I tried to start KDE but it wont. Any other ideas?

    Before you try anything crazy use a live CD to boot up and run cfdisk.
    Open another terminal and examine the contents of /etc/fstab. Be sure
    that the entries in fstab point to the correct partitions.

    Now had you not had the swap file load error I'd tell you to also
    examine /etc/lilo.conf (or the grub equivalent, whatever that is). Make
    sure it is trying to load the correct root device.

    After you've made sure what partition is what do this...

    umount -a

    e2fsck -fvy /dev/, e.g., if my root is /dev/hda6
    then...

    e2fsck -fvy /dev/hda6

    Have you manipulated any partitions, added, moved, resized or deleted
    one? It is very unlikely that the linux file system went belly up. That
    just doesn't happen. When you see these sort of errors it usually is
    either a minor e2fsck issue, HD failure, or a partition is not where
    it's supposed to be.

    If lilo is foobar'd also (if you move or resize the root partition you
    must rerun lilo) report back and you will get instructions on how to
    proceed.

    Here's a link to a full live CD with all the tolls you need...

    http://www.slax.org/download.php

    Get the standard edition. This is only 200MB and boots much faster than
    knoppix.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  7. Re: Newbie Help. System no longer boots.

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > Now had you not had the swap file load error I'd tell you to also
    > examine /etc/lilo.conf (or the grub equivalent, whatever that is). Make
    > sure it is trying to load the correct root device.

    /boot/grub/menu.lst

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  8. Re: Newbie Help. System no longer boots.

    houghi wrote:

    > You could try the following:
    > 1) log in as root
    > 2) fsck -y /dev/hdb2
    >
    > If that does not work, you need to do the following
    > 1) log in as root
    > 2) mount -n -o remount, rw /
    > 3) edit /etc/fstab by putting a # in front of the swap file
    > 4) [CTRL][d] to reboot without swap.
    >
    > When in KDE, start YaST and in the partitioner apoint /dev/hdb2 to be
    > swap again.

    why so long?
    just put installcd 9.1, boot, install, repairmode, and let yast do the fsck
    stuff

    of was SuSe 9.1 not ready to repair that stuff when booting the installcd?
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  9. Re: Newbie Help. System no longer boots.

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:23:12 +0000, EOS wrote:

    > why so long?
    > just put installcd 9.1, boot, install, repairmode, and let yast do the
    > fsck stuff

    > of was SuSe 9.1 not ready to repair that stuff when booting the installcd?

    DISCLAIMER: Small talk follows.

    I've only had my installation a few weeks and frankly my boot-install
    DVD is in my desk workheap somewhere here.

    How would you rate the repair utilities on their install media?

    I always use the Slax CD myself no matter what the distro because the
    solutions almost always can be done from the command line and the Slax
    CD has just all the right tools plus a KDE desktop if you need that too.

    For general purposes it's a handy tool. I have a stack of about 10 CD's
    of all utilities like Slax, GParted, Acronis, Drive Image and Partition
    Magic, etc that handle this type of problem.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  10. Re: Newbie Help. System no longer boots.

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > How would you rate the repair utilities on their install media?

    I used it once and it worked, although it was slow. Other things seem to
    work a lot faster for me.

    > I always use the Slax CD myself no matter what the distro because the
    > solutions almost always can be done from the command line and the Slax
    > CD has just all the right tools plus a KDE desktop if you need that too.

    Well, he was able to log in as root into the CLI as well. I personaly
    have always had the right tools available at that moment, meaning fsck.

    > For general purposes it's a handy tool. I have a stack of about 10 CD's
    > of all utilities like Slax, GParted, Acronis, Drive Image and Partition
    > Magic, etc that handle this type of problem.

    I have a copy of www.ultimatebootcd.com laying around, but not yet realy
    needed to use it. I do not even know where it is anymore. Stoopid Linux
    never gives me the chance to actualy use it. :-D

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  11. Re: Newbie Help. System no longer boots.

    Ron Gibson wrote:

    > How would you rate the repair utilities on their install media?

    for me very good ;-)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be