Display blanks momentarily - Suse

This is a discussion on Display blanks momentarily - Suse ; Hello, I have a Dell 1907FP 19" digital lcd. When I start an SDL app like MPlayer, my display blanks for a second or two. I have the monitor connected to the DVI port of an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro. ...

  1. Display blanks momentarily

    Hello,

    I have a Dell 1907FP 19" digital lcd. When I start an SDL app like MPlayer,
    my display blanks for a second or two. I have the monitor connected to the
    DVI port of an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro.

    I've tried to search using google but I can't seem to get the right search
    terms. Does anyone else experience their display blanking?

    Thanks.

    --
    Chris

  2. Re: Display blanks momentarily

    In article ,
    chris@thisisnotanemailaddress.ca says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Dell 1907FP 19" digital lcd. When I start an SDL app like MPlayer,
    > my display blanks for a second or two. I have the monitor connected to the
    > DVI port of an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro.
    >
    > I've tried to search using google but I can't seem to get the right search
    > terms. Does anyone else experience their display blanking?
    >
    > Thanks.

    It might be because your changing screen resolutions.

    Bill
    --
    Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and
    WebTV.

  3. Re: Display blanks momentarily

    Bill wrote:

    > In article ,
    > chris@thisisnotanemailaddress.ca says...
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a Dell 1907FP 19" digital lcd. When I start an SDL app like
    >> MPlayer, my display blanks for a second or two. I have the monitor
    >> connected to the DVI port of an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro.
    >>
    >> I've tried to search using google but I can't seem to get the right
    >> search terms. Does anyone else experience their display blanking?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > It might be because your changing screen resolutions.
    >
    > Bill

    It happens when Mplayer opens in windowed mode (not fullscreen). When I
    launch MPlayer, my display blanks for a second, then I get my desktop (same
    dimensions) and the MPlayer window and GUI.

    I've done some testing and it appears when using SDL. I start xine and the
    screen does not blank at all. xine is configured to use xv as the display
    (same with Mplayer).

    After more testing, the blank occurs when SDL is initialised using:
    SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO). When this is executed, the screen blanks.

    --
    Chris

  4. Re: Display blanks momentarily

    In article ,
    chris@thisisnotanemailaddress.ca says...
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    > > In article ,
    > > chris@thisisnotanemailaddress.ca says...
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> I have a Dell 1907FP 19" digital lcd. When I start an SDL app like
    > >> MPlayer, my display blanks for a second or two. I have the monitor
    > >> connected to the DVI port of an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro.
    > >>
    > >> I've tried to search using google but I can't seem to get the right
    > >> search terms. Does anyone else experience their display blanking?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >>

    > > It might be because your changing screen resolutions.
    > >
    > > Bill

    > It happens when Mplayer opens in windowed mode (not fullscreen).

    Ohkay. So much for that theory. Sorry I wasn't of more
    help.

    Bill
    --
    Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and
    WebTV.

  5. Re: Display blanks momentarily

    Jim wrote:

    > Chris came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago in
    > alt.os.linux.suse:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a Dell 1907FP 19" digital lcd. When I start an SDL app like

    > MPlayer,
    >> my display blanks for a second or two. I have the monitor connected to
    >> the DVI port of an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro.
    >>
    >> I've tried to search using google but I can't seem to get the right
    >> search terms. Does anyone else experience their display blanking?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Nothing to really worry about I don't think. That's just the resolution
    > switching. Happens.

    I would normally agree, but since I develop using the SDL library. It gets
    annoying quickly when I debug my program (start app, blink, test test
    crash, debug, start app, blink, test test, test, crash, debug).

    I installed SDL-debuginfo and linked to that library. I stepped through the
    SDL_Init() routine and the blink occurred when this was executed:
    WM_DELETE_WINDOW = XInternAtom(SDL_Display, "WM_DELETE_WINDOW", False);

    I did notice that if I setup X to use the fbdev driver (rather than the
    fglrx driver), the blinking was gone. So, could this be a fglrx issue?

    --
    Chris

  6. Re: Display blanks momentarily

    Chris wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Dell 1907FP 19" digital lcd. When I start an SDL app like
    > MPlayer, my display blanks for a second or two. I have the monitor
    > connected to the DVI port of an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro.
    >
    > I've tried to search using google but I can't seem to get the right search
    > terms. Does anyone else experience their display blanking?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I think I found the cause of the blink: the DVI connection. When I swapped
    out the DVI cable and installed the analog cable, the blinking does not
    occur. All that happened was a slight flicker that was practically
    undetectable.

    I have reattached the DVI cable. I found that the analog cable produced a
    fuzzy image. The image just wasn't as crisp and clear and with the DVI
    cable.

    So, I believe the problem is inherently with ATI's fglrx driver and it's
    ongoing Xorg issues. When I use the DVI cable and set the Xorg driver
    to "fbdev", there is no momentary blanks.

    --
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread