nvidia driver install failed on Suse 10.2 - Suse

This is a discussion on nvidia driver install failed on Suse 10.2 - Suse ; I followed the "easy way" instructions at http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA to install the nVidia drivers (x11-video-nvidia and nvidia-gfx-kmp-default). The modules appear to be installed in the correct locations, but when I boot, the x-server won't start. I get the error: (EE) NVIDIA(0): ...

  1. nvidia driver install failed on Suse 10.2

    I followed the "easy way" instructions at http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA to
    install the nVidia drivers (x11-video-nvidia and nvidia-gfx-kmp-default).
    The modules appear to be installed in the correct locations, but when I
    boot, the x-server won't start. I get the error: (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to
    load the NVIDIA kernel module!

    How can I recover from this error?

    It appears I may have to reinstall the drivers, but I am not experienced
    enough with Linux to do this from the command line.

    Please help!

  2. Re: nvidia driver install failed on Suse 10.2

    GateK33per wrote:

    > I followed the "easy way" instructions at http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA to
    > install the nVidia drivers (x11-video-nvidia and nvidia-gfx-kmp-default).
    > The modules appear to be installed in the correct locations, but when I
    > boot, the x-server won't start. I get the error: (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed
    > to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
    >
    > How can I recover from this error?
    >
    > It appears I may have to reinstall the drivers, but I am not experienced
    > enough with Linux to do this from the command line.
    >
    > Please help!

    After a cursory look at the link you provided I'd say they left out one very
    important step !!

    After downloading and installing those 2 rpm's you shouls always run sax2 to
    make sure the new packages are properly recognized by x.

    So now the thing to do is reboot. At the first Grub screen where you select
    what to boot to (OpenSuSE-10.2 or whatever your choices are) select
    OpenSuSE-10.2 BUT at the bottom of the screen in the white 'options' box
    type 'init 3'. Leave off the ''. Just type init 3 .

    This will boot you in at runlevel three. When you get to the prompt log in
    as ROOT and give the ROOT password. Then type sax2 to start sax. Let
    it detect everything and then make sure the settings (graphical display)
    look o.k. After exiting sax you'll be back at the prompt. Type init 5.
    This should get you to the normal login screen.

  3. Re: nvidia driver install failed on Suse 10.2

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    > GateK33per wrote:
    >
    >> I followed the "easy way" instructions at http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA to
    >> install the nVidia drivers (x11-video-nvidia and nvidia-gfx-kmp-default).
    >> The modules appear to be installed in the correct locations, but when I
    >> boot, the x-server won't start. I get the error: (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed
    >> to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
    >>
    >> How can I recover from this error?
    >>
    >> It appears I may have to reinstall the drivers, but I am not experienced
    >> enough with Linux to do this from the command line.
    >>
    >> Please help!

    > After a cursory look at the link you provided I'd say they left out one very
    > important step !!
    >
    > After downloading and installing those 2 rpm's you shouls always run sax2 to
    > make sure the new packages are properly recognized by x.
    >
    > So now the thing to do is reboot. At the first Grub screen where you select
    > what to boot to (OpenSuSE-10.2 or whatever your choices are) select
    > OpenSuSE-10.2 BUT at the bottom of the screen in the white 'options' box
    > type 'init 3'. Leave off the ''. Just type init 3 .
    >
    > This will boot you in at runlevel three. When you get to the prompt log in
    > as ROOT and give the ROOT password. Then type sax2 to start sax. Let
    > it detect everything and then make sure the settings (graphical display)
    > look o.k. After exiting sax you'll be back at the prompt. Type init 5.
    > This should get you to the normal login screen.

    I rebooted and ran sax2. It returned an error (I'm sorry I didn't copy
    it down). So I edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf, renaming the video driver from
    "nvidia" back to "nv." That allowed me to start x. Once I had the
    graphical environment going, I ran Online Update and System update. Then
    I removed x11-video-nvidia and nvidia-gfx-kmp-default, and downloaded
    the nvidia drivers from www.nvidia.com
    (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.09-pkg1.run).

    Next, I ran the installation the "hard way," using the directions at the
    link above, and configured Sax2 with "sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia" (0 is a
    number). That did the trick.

    And it just goes to show I AM experienced enough to use the command
    line. Go figure.I rebooted and ran sax2. It returned an error (I'm sorry
    I didn't copy it down). So I edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf, renaming the
    video driver from "nvidia" back to "nv." That allowed me to start x.
    Once I had the graphical environment going, I ran Online Update and
    System update. Then I removed x11-video-nvidia and
    nvidia-gfx-kmp-default, and downloaded the nvidia drivers from
    www.nvidia.com (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.09-pkg1.run).

    Next, I ran the installation the "hard way," using the directions at the
    link above, and configured Sax2 with "sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia" (0 is a
    number). That did the trick.

    And it just goes to show I AM experienced enough to use the command
    line. Go figure.

  4. Re: nvidia driver install failed on Suse 10.2

    hmmm. Good enough to restore the x-server. Not good enough to notice I
    had pasted the text twice. Oh well...

  5. Re: nvidia driver install failed on Suse 10.2

    GateK33per wrote:

    > hmmm. Good enough to restore the x-server. Not good enough to notice I
    > had pasted the text twice. Oh well...

    There's an echo in the room...

    There's an echo in the room...

    LOL

  6. Re: nvidia driver install failed on Suse 10.2

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:17:38 -0400, GateK33per wrote:

    > Next, I ran the installation the "hard way," using the directions at
    > the
    > link above, and configured Sax2 with "sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia" (0 is a
    > number). That did the trick.

    It turns out the "hard way" is the easy way. Some other distros try to
    automagically do this stuff we've been doing easily for years in the
    hopes of wooing the M$ crowd to come over.

    That is such a good idea to emulate M$, isn't it? I mean their system of
    a thousand reboots to get all the drivers installed and continuous
    updates is just dandy. And why not turn your machine into a "smart
    microwave oven".

    This is what happens when corporate mentality tries make the standard
    the lowest common denominator.

    > And it just goes to show I AM experienced enough to use the command line.

    It is very simple to install the Nvidia driver.

    0) Have the kernel source installed!
    1) Make a directory and download the driver there.
    2) cd to that directory and chmod +x ./*run
    3) ./*run

    I use mc for all the mode stuff so it's really easy.

    The usage of M$ inspired "wizards" obfuscates an already fundamentally
    sound operating system.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  7. Re: nvidia driver install failed on Suse 10.2

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:17:38 -0400, GateK33per wrote:
    >
    >> Next, I ran the installation the "hard way," using the directions at
    >> the
    >> link above, and configured Sax2 with "sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia" (0 is a
    >> number). That did the trick.

    > It turns out the "hard way" is the easy way. Some other distros try to
    > automagically do this stuff we've been doing easily for years in the
    > hopes of wooing the M$ crowd to come over.
    >
    > That is such a good idea to emulate M$, isn't it? I mean their system of
    > a thousand reboots to get all the drivers installed and continuous
    > updates is just dandy. And why not turn your machine into a "smart
    > microwave oven".
    >
    > This is what happens when corporate mentality tries make the standard
    > the lowest common denominator.
    >
    >> And it just goes to show I AM experienced enough to use the command line.

    > It is very simple to install the Nvidia driver.
    >
    > 0) Have the kernel source installed!
    > 1) Make a directory and download the driver there.
    > 2) cd to that directory and chmod +x ./*run
    > 3) ./*run
    >
    > I use mc for all the mode stuff so it's really easy.
    >
    > The usage of M$ inspired "wizards" obfuscates an already fundamentally
    > sound operating system.

    Hail and well met! I agree that the "hard way" turned out to be easier.
    And I totally agree with your sentiments regarding Windows. I installed
    OpenSUSE (which comes with OpenOffice ready-to-use), in just over two
    hours. It took me 8 hours to install Windows XP SP2, with all the
    necesary patches. It took another hour to install Office, with the
    patches. But the real kicker? I had to reboot the machine about six
    times! How many reboots were needed to install OpenSUSE 10.2? ONE.
    That's it. One reboot and the OS was ready to go. Installing the nvidia
    driver didn't require a reboot; an entire system upgrade including the
    required only one reboot.

    But I still have problems. Please read my other posts and offer any help
    you can. Thank you.

  8. Booting on install (was something else)

    GateK33per wrote:

    >Hail and well met! I agree that the "hard way" turned out to be easier.
    >And I totally agree with your sentiments regarding Windows. I installed
    >OpenSUSE (which comes with OpenOffice ready-to-use), in just over two
    >hours. It took me 8 hours to install Windows XP SP2, with all the
    >necesary patches. It took another hour to install Office, with the
    >patches. But the real kicker? I had to reboot the machine about six
    >times! How many reboots were needed to install OpenSUSE 10.2? ONE.
    >That's it. One reboot and the OS was ready to go. Installing the nvidia
    >driver didn't require a reboot; an entire system upgrade including the
    >required only one reboot.

    One reboot is the absolute minimum needed. The install program
    kernel does hardware detection and configures everything you need.
    At some point you have to reboot to make *that* kernel the one that
    is actually running.

    A few things are (wrongly, in my opinion) left to be configured
    after the install program is gone from memory. One is the network.
    Another is the printer.

    My belief is that the install program should install all hardware
    because it can be loaded with drivers, etc, that may not be needed.
    Then the new kernel should be run and the rest of the several hundred
    software packages loaded. I should not have to wait while Open
    Office and Firefox, etc., are installed before I find out that my
    network isn't properly set up and I have to reinstall.

    I don't know why Windows needs so many reboots. Seems to me to
    be yet another Windows design flaw.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

+ Reply to Thread