top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux - Suse

This is a discussion on top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux - Suse ; hey, I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from Windows users using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE) here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux: 1)they are at work and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

  1. top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    hey,

    I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from Windows users
    using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)

    here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:

    1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and setup knode
    Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for speed

    2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    try: knode or Pan

    3) they are trolls

    4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will usually
    ignore their questions.

    5) they are faking the headers

    Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is a good
    reason that they post with Windows.

    --
    Mark

  2. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    Hello Mark,

    Mark Pryor inscribed thus:

    > hey,
    >
    > I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from Windows
    > users using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)
    >
    > here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:
    >
    > 1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    > its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and setup
    > knode Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for speed
    >
    > 2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    > try: knode or Pan
    >
    > 3) they are trolls
    >
    > 4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will
    > usually
    > ignore their questions.
    >
    > 5) they are faking the headers
    >
    > Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is a
    > good reason that they post with Windows.
    >
    > --
    > Mark

    Shall we be generous and say "Probably No:s 1 and 2"

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  3. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    Mark Pryor wrote:
    > hey,
    >
    > I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from Windows users
    > using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)

    No. I do not pay attention to it. As long as people keep to the rules, I
    don't care.

    > here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:
    >
    > 1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    > its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and setup knode
    > Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for speed

    Well, it might not be hard, but when I look at your subject, they still
    would not be posting withn openSUSE. Also they might get fired for doing
    that.

    > 2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    > try: knode or Pan

    Might be possible.

    > 3) they are trolls

    Also possible, but that is not a guarantee.

    > 4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will usually
    > ignore their questions.

    Well, why should they care if anyone notices?

    > 5) they are faking the headers

    Yep, I have been doing that.

    > Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is a good
    > reason that they post with Windows.

    Just killfile them and the they won't nother you again. Here are my
    ideas why people might be posting with Outlook Express (or Agent, or Pan
    or SLRn or almost any other Usenet posting device)

    1) They like it
    2) The run Windows and ask a questions on how to run Linux
    3) They are at a PC they do not have anything to do with

    As you might know, Linux is all about choice. And if the choice is to
    run Outlook or Outlook Express, whom am I to mess wuth that choice?
    Again, as long as people keep to the rules, why should I bother?

    houghi
    --
    You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  4. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    Mark Pryor schrieb am 12.06.2007 23:23:
    > hey,
    >
    > I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from Windows users
    > using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)
    >
    > here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:
    >
    > 1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    > its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and setup knode
    > Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for speed

    they may not have this option if their admin has locked their BIOS and
    the ability to boot from devices other than their HD

    > 2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    > try: knode or Pan
    >
    > 3) they are trolls
    >
    > 4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will usually
    > ignore their questions.

    now, this sounds pretty ridiculous/ignorant/fundamentalist (choose one
    or more) to me. Typically these people do ask questions about _Linux_.
    Do you believe someone is entitled to ask those questions only if they
    are already using Linux? Do you believe this attitude is in line with
    the usenet's basic ideas/philosophy?

    And, how would I know whether your post's header isn't lying? Or, how
    would you know mine isn't for that matter?

    BTW, did you never use the evil empire's operating systems? If yes, did
    you hope _your_ questions would be answered?

    Rainer

    > 5) they are faking the headers
    >
    > Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is a good
    > reason that they post with Windows.

  5. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:40:59 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >As you might know, Linux is all about choice. And if the choice is to
    >run Outlook or Outlook Express, whom am I to mess wuth that choice?

    Posting from LookOut! should be a shooting offense? )

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  6. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    Mark Pryor wrote in

    > hey,
    >
    > I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from Windows
    > users using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)
    >
    > here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:
    >
    > 1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    > its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and setup
    > knode Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for speed
    >
    > 2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    > try: knode or Pan
    >
    > 3) they are trolls
    >
    > 4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will usually
    > ignore their questions.
    >
    > 5) they are faking the headers
    >
    > Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is a
    > good reason that they post with Windows.

    Another reason:

    I am a newbie and have temporarily lost the use of the x-server, so I
    can't use either knode or pan. Instead, I am using Xnews on Windows.
    When I have learned how to fix the problem with the x-server, I will
    happily boot and use Linux.

    Also, Mozilla Thunderbird is an excellent newsreader for both Windows
    and Linux. Outlook Express is to be avoided, my opinion.

  7. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    Mark Pryor wrote in

    > hey,
    >
    > I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from
    > Windows users using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)
    >
    > here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:
    >
    > 1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    > its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and
    > setup knode Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for
    > speed
    >
    > 2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    > try: knode or Pan
    >
    > 3) they are trolls
    >
    > 4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will
    > usually
    > ignore their questions.
    >
    > 5) they are faking the headers
    >
    > Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is
    > a good reason that they post with Windows.

    6) They have a windoze newsreader (xnews in my case) which they like
    better than linux alternatives (incl. the two mentioned above).

    --
    *********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address
    **************

  8. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 01:00:11 +0000 (UTC), Ian Gay wrote:

    >Mark Pryor wrote in
    >
    >> hey,
    >>
    >> I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from
    >> Windows users using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)

    >6) They have a windoze newsreader (xnews in my case) which they like
    >better than linux alternatives (incl. the two mentioned above).

    Hey that's my excuse!

    Grant.
    --
    http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/

  9. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    Mark Pryor wrote:
    >hey,

    >I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from Windows users
    >using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)

    >here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:

    > 1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    > its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and setup knode
    > Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for speed

    > 2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    > try: knode or Pan

    > 3) they are trolls

    > 4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will usually
    > ignore their questions.

    > 5) they are faking the headers

    >Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is a good
    >reason that they post with Windows.

    There are no loyalty tests here. We are here to help each
    other out with OpenSuse linux problems. I don't care what
    machine folks post from.

    I have several windows machines and several OpenSuse machines.
    Several are dual boot. I post from whichever one I happen
    to be using when the mood to read newsgroups strikes me.

    Am I evil?

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  10. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:23:01 +0000, Mark Pryor wrote:

    > hey,
    >
    > I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from Windows users
    > using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)
    >
    > here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:
    >
    > 1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    > its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and setup knode
    > Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for speed
    >
    > 2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    > try: knode or Pan
    >
    > 3) they are trolls
    >
    > 4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will usually
    > ignore their questions.

    I usually ask my questions while at work (we're a Windows shop). That way
    the dolts can go ahead and ignore me and allow the folks who CAN help
    the time to respond before I get home to my SuSE boxes and look at the
    answers...

    > 5) they are faking the headers
    >
    > Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is a good
    > reason that they post with Windows.

  11. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    Rainer Latka wrote:
    > BTW, did you never use the evil empire's operating systems? If yes, did
    > you hope _your_ questions would be answered?

    Not only am I using it at mu job. I am going to find a cource for excel
    to follow. At this moment I am already the most knowledgable person, but
    I want to 'excel' further and will be following VBS for excel to make my
    job easier.

    On the plus side, I run it on Windows NT and the version is 2000. :-D

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.

  12. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > There are no loyalty tests here. We are here to help each
    > other out with OpenSuse linux problems. I don't care what
    > machine folks post from.

    Few, you had ne worried there, because I use putty a lot to ssh to my
    machine. Putty runs on an XP machine, so I am actualy posting from
    Windows and nobody knows.

    > I have several windows machines and several OpenSuse machines.
    > Several are dual boot. I post from whichever one I happen
    > to be using when the mood to read newsgroups strikes me.

    I use putty to ssh, so I can use slrn. That is not so much about loyalty
    towards Linux as it is lazyness towards myself. That way I only use one
    client and have no need to remember what I already read and what not.

    > Am I evil?

    Yes, but take that as a compliment. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  13. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    Mark Pryor wrote:
    > hey,
    >
    > I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from Windows users
    > using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)
    >
    > here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:
    >
    > 1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    > its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and setup knode
    > Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for speed
    >
    > 2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    > try: knode or Pan
    >
    > 3) they are trolls
    >
    > 4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will usually
    > ignore their questions.
    >
    > 5) they are faking the headers
    >
    > Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is a good
    > reason that they post with Windows.

    6) Because they don't care about os wars and use windows as main
    system because some or many needed applications don't run on linux (in
    my case as a web developer i need photoshop, illustrator, acrobat,
    flash, and much more). Also i'm feeling more comfortable with windows as
    desktop system while i feel also more comfortable with linux as server os

    just my 2 cents

  14. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > Mark Pryor wrote:
    >>hey,

    >>I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from Windows users
    >>using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)

    >>here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:

    >> 1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    >> its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and setup knode
    >> Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for speed

    >> 2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    >> try: knode or Pan

    >> 3) they are trolls

    >> 4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will usually
    >> ignore their questions.

    >> 5) they are faking the headers

    >>Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is a good
    >>reason that they post with Windows.

    > There are no loyalty tests here. We are here to help each
    > other out with OpenSuse linux problems. I don't care what
    > machine folks post from.

    I do, if some dolt uses OE *and* top-posts.
    Using it incorrectly configured (like no indication which character set to
    use, or posting HTML) will not make things better.
    If he also mangles the quotes it is a complete show-stopper
    Such a guy will never get any answer to his problems from me

    --
    The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them
    to choose from. -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

  15. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    Joe Scylla wrote:
    > 6) Because they don't care about os wars and use windows as main
    > system because some or many needed applications don't run on linux (in
    > my case as a web developer i need photoshop, illustrator, acrobat,
    > flash, and much more).

    Well, _need_ might be replaced with _want to use_. ;-)
    Photoshop can be replaced by Gimp.
    No idea what illustrator does
    Acrobat to make PDF files? Available under Linux
    Flash. Now seriously. You don't NEED that. You don't even WANT that.

    > Also i'm feeling more comfortable with windows as
    > desktop system while i feel also more comfortable with linux as server os

    What I would do is run Flash (and perhaps Illustrator) with Wine, and if
    that does not work in a virtual manager. That way there is no need to
    reboot.

    Also if I would have two dedicated machines, I would run one over
    some remote desktop and most likely that would be the Windows one. I
    hate rebooting and dualbooting.

    However I have two screens, so that is already a bit different.

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.
    -- Tron (1982)

  16. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    houghi schrieb am 13.06.2007 12:21:
    > Joe Scylla wrote:
    >> 6) Because they don't care about os wars and use windows as main
    >> system because some or many needed applications don't run on linux (in
    >> my case as a web developer i need photoshop, illustrator, acrobat,
    >> flash, and much more).

    > Well, _need_ might be replaced with _want to use_. ;-)
    > Photoshop can be replaced by Gimp.

    wish it were. While it's quite powerful, it's still lagging way behind
    on a number of accounts

    Rainer

  17. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    houghi wrote:
    > Joe Scylla wrote:
    >> 6) Because they don't care about os wars and use windows as main
    >> system because some or many needed applications don't run on linux (in
    >> my case as a web developer i need photoshop, illustrator, acrobat,
    >> flash, and much more).

    > Well, _need_ might be replaced with _want to use_. ;-)

    Sorry and honestly no. I have to work with this programms because i work
    in a company with graphic artists using this programms and i have to
    access their Photoshop, Acrobat and Illustrator files - or for example
    Flash source files to change something little.

    > Photoshop can be replaced by Gimp.
    > No idea what illustrator does
    > Acrobat to make PDF files? Available under Linux

    While GIMP is surly a very good programm it's still "decades" away from
    Adobe Photoshop so there's surly no way to convince our artists to use
    GIMP. That's the same for the other programms.

    > Flash. Now seriously. You don't NEED that. You don't even WANT that.

    You can bet i *dont want* to work with flash - but on the other hand the
    company pays my bills and so i *have* to work with it.

    >> Also i'm feeling more comfortable with windows as
    >> desktop system while i feel also more comfortable with linux as server os

    > What I would do is run Flash (and perhaps Illustrator) with Wine, and if
    > that does not work in a virtual manager. That way there is no need to
    > reboot.
    >
    > Also if I would have two dedicated machines, I would run one over
    > some remote desktop and most likely that would be the Windows one. I
    > hate rebooting and dualbooting.

    I my company i have the right to choose my os but as long as Adobe don't
    release their programms for linux i won't switch because i want a clean
    and simple system with no need for tweaking, emulating or using virtual
    machines.

  18. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 01:00:11 +0000, Ian Gay wrote:

    > Mark Pryor wrote in
    >
    >> hey,
    >>
    >> I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from
    >> Windows users using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)
    >>
    >> here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:
    >>
    >> 1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    >> its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and
    >> setup knode Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for
    >> speed
    >>
    >> 2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    >> try: knode or Pan
    >>
    >> 3) they are trolls
    >>
    >> 4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will
    >> usually
    >> ignore their questions.
    >>
    >> 5) they are faking the headers
    >>
    >> Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is
    >> a good reason that they post with Windows.
    >>

    > 6) They have a windoze newsreader (xnews in my case) which they like
    > better than linux alternatives (incl. the two mentioned above).

    Xnews is an excellent reader and poster. The author should be blessed for
    writing such a program and making it FREE!

    But the new Pan's handling of multiple servers broke another of my links
    to MicroScrap. Pan now rules IMO.

    --
    Elvish

  19. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:18:14 +1000, Grant wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 01:00:11 +0000 (UTC), Ian Gay wrote:
    >
    >>Mark Pryor wrote in
    >>
    >>> hey,
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from
    >>> Windows users using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)

    >>6) They have a windoze newsreader (xnews in my case) which they like
    >>better than linux alternatives (incl. the two mentioned above).

    > Hey that's my excuse!
    >
    > Grant.

    A great excuse too, as your version runs very well in openSuse.

    --
    Elvish

  20. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    Mark Pryor :

    > here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:

    So, you killfile anyone using OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris,
    HP-UX, AIX, ...

    It must be very lonely out there.

    (*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling Linux Counter #80292

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast