top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux - Suse

This is a discussion on top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux - Suse ; s. keeling wrote: > Mark Pryor : >> >> here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux: > > So, you killfile anyone using OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, > HP-UX, AIX, ... > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 38 of 38

  1. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    s. keeling wrote:
    > Mark Pryor :
    >>
    >> here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:

    > So, you killfile anyone using OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris,
    > HP-UX, AIX, ...
    >
    > It must be very lonely out there.

    His killfile looks like:[*]
    Score=-9999
    *

    ;-)

    houghi
    --
    Dr. Walter Gibbs: Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs
    will start thinking and the people will stop.

  2. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    houghi schrieb am 13.06.2007 18:07:
    > s. keeling wrote:
    >> Mark Pryor :
    >>> here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:

    >> So, you killfile anyone using OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Solaris,
    >> HP-UX, AIX, ...
    >>
    >> It must be very lonely out there.

    > His killfile looks like:
    >[*]
    > Score=-9999
    > *

    not a bad idea after all, I'll have to adopt it. I'm spending way to
    much time on usenet ;-)

    Rainer

    > ;-)
    >
    > houghi

  3. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    Peter K??hlmann wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:

    >> Mark Pryor wrote:
    >>>hey,

    >>>I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from Windows users
    >>>using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)

    >>>here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:

    >>> 1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    >>> its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and setup knode
    >>> Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for speed

    >>> 2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    >>> try: knode or Pan

    >>> 3) they are trolls

    >>> 4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will usually
    >>> ignore their questions.

    >>> 5) they are faking the headers

    >>>Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is a good
    >>>reason that they post with Windows.

    >> There are no loyalty tests here. We are here to help each
    >> other out with OpenSuse linux problems. I don't care what
    >> machine folks post from.

    >I do, if some dolt uses OE *and* top-posts.
    >Using it incorrectly configured (like no indication which character set to
    >use, or posting HTML) will not make things better.
    >If he also mangles the quotes it is a complete show-stopper
    >Such a guy will never get any answer to his problems from me

    He's lucky.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  4. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    On 2007-06-21, Jim wrote:
    > Mark Pryor came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago
    > in alt.os.linux.suse:
    >
    >> hey,
    >>
    >> I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from Windows users
    >> using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)
    >>
    >> here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:
    >>
    >> 1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    >> its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and setup knode
    >> Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for speed
    >>
    >> 2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    >> try: knode or Pan
    >>
    >> 3) they are trolls
    >>
    >> 4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will usually
    >> ignore their questions.
    >>
    >> 5) they are faking the headers
    >>
    >> Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is a good
    >> reason that they post with Windows.
    >>

    > I'd go with 3.

    I'd say that any and all of the above are possible.

    As for the suggestion in #1 to reboot and use a Live CD/DVD, that'll
    only work for systems that haven't been locked down so they only boot
    from hard drive. And then there's also the case where running
    unauthorised software is a breach of the employment contract and a
    sackable offence.

    As for #2, all they need to do is look in the KDE or Gnome menus to
    locate an app that is used to access Usenet.

    On to #3. Windows users are the only trolls. Trolls come in all shapes
    and sizes, and aren't restricted just to Windows.

    And then there's #4. All I can say about this is, if the OP is going to
    ignore someone because they are posting using a Windows machine, he may
    as well killfile me now. Why? Well, because I regularly use a Windows
    system to post. I do, occasionally, use Knode but that's not all that
    often. And right now, well you'd have to guess which OS I'm using. It
    might be a Windows machine, or it could be a Linux system, or it could be
    any of a number of other OSes[0].

    Finally, we get to #5. While it does happen[1], I'd guess that it's not
    all that common.

    [0] Apart from the different versions of SuSE, SUSE and openSUSE, a quick
    check of my .sig shows another two. Then there's the version of Windows
    that I don't list, and I also don't list the FreeBSD I'm hoping to be
    looking at this weekend.

    [1] Just search for a few posts made by me with an apparent newsreader
    of Micro$oft Outlook Express. There are a few, and they have some almost
    plausible version numbers as well.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  5. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    David Bolt wrote:
    > [1] Just search for a few posts made by me with an apparent newsreader
    > of Micro$oft Outlook Express. There are a few, and they have some almost
    > plausible version numbers as well.

    Forging headers makes you exactly what? Are you thinking it somehow
    makes you interesting or someone that would be worth reading?

    For what it's worth, you simply reinforce my experience with people who
    post with OE.

  6. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    On Jun 12, 4:23 pm, Mark Pryor wrote:
    > hey,
    >
    > I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from Windows users
    > using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)
    >
    > here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:
    >
    > 1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    > its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and setup knode
    > Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for speed
    >
    > 2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    > try: knode or Pan
    >
    > 3) they are trolls
    >
    > 4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will usually
    > ignore their questions.
    >
    > 5) they are faking the headers
    >
    > Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is a good
    > reason that they post with Windows.
    >
    > --
    > Mark

    Well, in my case you could say it was because OpenSUSE won't allow me
    to a) use my modem on my laptop and b) won't function with WIFI as
    almost all other distros do.
    David

  7. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    stan wrote:
    > David Bolt wrote:
    >> [1] Just search for a few posts made by me with an apparent newsreader
    >> of Micro$oft Outlook Express. There are a few, and they have some almost
    >> plausible version numbers as well.

    > Forging headers makes you exactly what? Are you thinking it somehow
    > makes you interesting or someone that would be worth reading?

    Not forging headers makes you what? As long as you don't forge the
    headers of the relevant parts, who realy cares? It is not as if somebody
    actualy reads and and does something usefull with them, exept filtering.

    > For what it's worth, you simply reinforce my experience with people who
    > post with OE.

    Must remind me to change my headers again so it looks like I am posting
    with 27 different Usenetclients. :-D

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  8. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, stan wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:
    >> [1] Just search for a few posts made by me with an apparent newsreader
    >> of Micro$oft Outlook Express. There are a few, and they have some almost
    >> plausible version numbers as well.

    >Forging headers makes you exactly what?

    Forging headers makes me nothing more than I already am.

    >Are you thinking it somehow
    >makes you interesting or someone that would be worth reading?

    No. What I put into the bodies of an article makes what I type worth
    reading. Or maybe not, as the case may be.

    >For what it's worth, you simply reinforce my experience with people who
    >post with OE.

    Well, since I don't use OE, and I can't even remember why I made the
    change to slrn[0], you'll have to make do with just relying on the
    experience you have with real OE[1] users.

    And, just to really annoy, you'll probably find that "experience" is a
    little skewed anyway. How do I know that? Well that's because unless
    you're looking at the headers for every single article you read, you're
    only likely to look at those that are broken, or trollish, and remember
    what you see. This would give a negative impression, reinforced each
    time you see the same things in the headers. What you won't see are the
    numerous posts where the poster _didn't_ make a screwed-up posting, or
    was trollish, and so you never bothered to check what they were using.

    [0] BTW, you aren't a little p'd off because you use slrn and I used a
    recompiled version that added the fake X-Newsreader: header are you?

    [1] And, as is always the case, there are some that are actually quite
    capable of using OE so as not to top-post, use HTML, or to expose to
    Usenet any of the other flaws OE has.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  9. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, stan wrote:-
    >
    >>David Bolt wrote:
    >>> [1] Just search for a few posts made by me with an apparent newsreader
    >>> of Micro$oft Outlook Express. There are a few, and they have some almost
    >>> plausible version numbers as well.

    >>Forging headers makes you exactly what?

    > Forging headers makes me nothing more than I already am.

    Hehe. Forging headers is fun.

    > [0] BTW, you aren't a little p'd off because you use slrn and I used a
    > recompiled version that added the fake X-Newsreader: header are you?

    Oh, you naughty, naught boy. :-D

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  10. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:

    >>>Forging headers makes you exactly what?

    >> Forging headers makes me nothing more than I already am.

    I really shouldn't have used the word "forging" as it wasn't. It was a
    fake, and an obvious one if someone took the effort to look.

    >Hehe. Forging headers is fun.

    Only if the faked headers are the unimportant ones. My opinion is that
    all the X-*: headers are unimportant and I don't care what they are, or
    if they are faked. OTOH, forging the official headers, From: ,
    touch.

    >> [0] BTW, you aren't a little p'd off because you use slrn and I used a
    >> recompiled version that added the fake X-Newsreader: header are you?

    >Oh, you naughty, naught boy. :-D

    That's what my wife says as well ;-)

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  11. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    David Bolt wrote:
    > Only if the faked headers are the unimportant ones. My opinion is that
    > all the X-*: headers are unimportant and I don't care what they are, or
    > if they are faked. OTOH, forging the official headers, From: ,
    > touch.

    Well, DUH. have you looked at my previous posting and the headers there?

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  12. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:
    >> Only if the faked headers are the unimportant ones. My opinion is that
    >> all the X-*: headers are unimportant and I don't care what they are, or
    >> if they are faked. OTOH, forging the official headers, From: ,
    >> touch.

    >Well, DUH. have you looked at my previous posting and the headers there?

    Yes, just a couple of additional ones X- headers. Nothing strange as yet
    :-)

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
    RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISCOS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a5 32bit

  13. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    DavidW wrote:
    > On Jun 12, 4:23 pm, Mark Pryor wrote:
    >> hey,
    >>
    >> I'm sure folks have noticed all the questions that come from Windows users
    >> using Windows machines (i.e. Outlook and OE)
    >>
    >> here is my draft of the top 5 reasons they don't post using Linux:
    >>
    >> 1)they are at work and are forced to use Windows
    >> its not hard to boot using a Live distro like Knoppix and setup knode
    >> Also try setting up Knoppix on USB/flash for speed
    >>
    >> 2) they don't know which Apps do NNTP in Linux
    >> try: knode or Pan
    >>
    >> 3) they are trolls
    >>
    >> 4) they don't think anyone will notice. I do notice and will usually
    >> ignore their questions.
    >>
    >> 5) they are faking the headers
    >>
    >> Frankly I'm tired of seeing this, but maybe, just maybe, there is a good
    >> reason that they post with Windows.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark

    > Well, in my case you could say it was because OpenSUSE won't allow me
    > to a) use my modem on my laptop and b) won't function with WIFI as
    > almost all other distros do.
    > David

    Can't we all just get along???

    rac

  14. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    houghi wrote:
    > Rainer Latka wrote:
    >> BTW, did you never use the evil empire's operating systems? If yes, did
    >> you hope _your_ questions would be answered?

    > Not only am I using it at mu job. I am going to find a cource for excel
    > to follow. At this moment I am already the most knowledgable person, but
    > I want to 'excel' further and will be following VBS for excel to make my
    > job easier.
    >
    > On the plus side, I run it on Windows NT and the version is 2000. :-D
    >
    > houghi

    Try this site for Excel help! I use it all the time.

    rac

  15. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    rac wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Rainer Latka wrote:
    >>> BTW, did you never use the evil empire's operating systems? If yes,
    >>> did you hope _your_ questions would be answered?

    >> Not only am I using it at mu job. I am going to find a cource for excel
    >> to follow. At this moment I am already the most knowledgable person, but
    >> I want to 'excel' further and will be following VBS for excel to make my
    >> job easier.
    >>
    >> On the plus side, I run it on Windows NT and the version is 2000. :-D
    >>
    >> houghi

    > Try this site for Excel help! I use it all the time.
    >
    > rac

    Oops my bad!
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel.htm

    rac

  16. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    houghi wrote:
    > Rainer Latka wrote:
    >> BTW, did you never use the evil empire's operating systems? If yes, did
    >> you hope _your_ questions would be answered?

    > Not only am I using it at mu job. I am going to find a cource for excel
    > to follow. At this moment I am already the most knowledgable person, but
    > I want to 'excel' further and will be following VBS for excel to make my
    > job easier.
    >
    > On the plus side, I run it on Windows NT and the version is 2000. :-D
    >
    > houghi

    Try this site for Excel help.
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel.htm

    rac

  17. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    rac wrote:
    > Try this site for Excel help.
    > http://www.cpearson.com/excel.htm

    Thanks. Sometimes it is extremely frustrating to do things, because it
    would be so much easier to use bash.
    A site I found was http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

    What they find absolutely fascinating is how the numbers look. The
    "trick" I use is to first pick soft colour for the cells. Those are the
    ones that are on the bottom when picking the colour. For large text I
    take some grey, instead of black. Makes it less prominent.

    It is amazing how you can pull wool over the eyes of people by a bit of
    non standard choices. Takes about 10 minutes extra work to have it
    correct. The effect will last much longer, as those are numers I need to
    get things done with.

    Management will more likely think: He spend so much time on layout and
    the numbers _look_ so pretty, he must know what he is talking about. Let
    us give him what he asks for, otherwise he thinks we are stupid and he
    will know we know jack-**** about the subject.

    That is why I like working with numbers. To get the deal done. Some
    people work with a hammer. Unfortunatly the tool/scrip I use is less
    then ideal, but that is what I have.

    I already have one script that I run at home from my job, because I am
    unable to do it any other way, because of the limitations you have with
    Windows. Can't give up, because the tool sucks.

    Nothing native like bash on Windows to do simple tasks, like making a
    1200+ page website. The obvious way would be to run the information from
    a database, but that is unfortunatly not an option.

    But there is an other plus side on running Windows at my job. I do not
    have Windows at home and they don't give me a portable. So no way to
    work overtime at home. :-D

    houghi
    --
    First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to turn
    numbers into letters with ASCII and we thought it was a typewriter. Then

  18. Re: top 5 reasons that posts aren't made from OpenSuSE/Linux

    rac wrote:
    > Can't we all just get along???

    Where is the fun in that? Just kidding:

    ___ ____ _____ __ __ ____ _ _ __ __ ___
    / __)( _ \( _ )( )( )( _ \( )_( )( )( )/ __)
    ( (_-. ) / )(_)( )(__)( )___/ ) _ ( )(__)(( (_-.
    \___/(_)\_)(_____)(______)(__) (_) (_)(______)\___/

    The above I found with the following and the looking in ~/figlet.txt to
    decide what text I like best for this. Next just figlet -f copy and
    paste the font and follow it by the word.

    #v+
    #!/bin/bash
    TEXT="Houghi.org"
    for I in `locate *.flf`
    do
    echo "$TEXT in the font $I" >> ~/figlet.txt
    figlet -d /usr/share/games/figlet/fonts -f $I $TEXT \
    >> ~/figlet.txt

    echo ""
    done
    #v-