Need an ethernet card - Suse

This is a discussion on Need an ethernet card - Suse ; Hi I am new to Suse . actually i am new to Linux ..so after installing and then tweeking a little I cant get my ehternet card to work cuz its a Dlink model DFE 530TX Rev c1 .I scoped ...

  1. Need an ethernet card

    Hi

    I am new to Suse . actually i am new to Linux ..so after installing and
    then tweeking a little I cant get my ehternet card to work cuz its a
    Dlink model DFE 530TX Rev c1 .I scoped the net for answers and seems
    lots of people having the same trouble and no drivers availlable from the
    mfg .

    All I want is a card thats Linux friendly . 10/100 pci would do nicely
    but which brand ?

    M !

  2. Re: Need an ethernet card

    slobbodon wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I am new to Suse . actually i am new to Linux ..so after installing and
    > then tweeking a little I cant get my ehternet card to work cuz its a
    > Dlink model DFE 530TX Rev c1 .I scoped the net for answers and seems
    > lots of people having the same trouble and no drivers availlable from
    > the mfg .
    >
    > All I want is a card thats Linux friendly . 10/100 pci would do nicely
    > but which brand ?
    >
    > M !

    I'm using U.S.Robotics and PEABIRD 10/100 MBPS (and very cheap)
    Works out of the box. No configs at all.

  3. Re: Need an ethernet card

    slobbodon inscribed thus:

    > Hi
    >
    > I am new to Suse . actually i am new to Linux ..so after
    > installing and
    > then tweeking a little I cant get my ehternet card to work cuz
    > its a
    > Dlink model DFE 530TX Rev c1 .I scoped the net for answers and
    > seems
    > lots of people having the same trouble and no drivers availlable
    > from the mfg .
    >
    > All I want is a card thats Linux friendly . 10/100 pci would do
    > nicely
    > but which brand ?
    >
    > M !

    I think that card should work with linux. Though I'm not surprised
    that you couldn't find any Linux drivers on the Dlink web site.

    However any card with an intel or Realtek chipset should work fine.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  4. Re: Need an ethernet card

    > However any card with an intel or Realtek chipset should work fine.
    >
    > --
    >As it happened I had a realtec lan card kickin around and yes .... went
    >in wihtout a hitch .

    Thanks to all that replied !

  5. Re: Need an ethernet card

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
    , slobbodon wrote:

    >I am new to Suse . actually i am new to Linux ..so after installing and
    >then tweeking a little I cant get my ehternet card to work cuz its a
    >Dlink model DFE 530TX Rev c1 .

    Look at the boot messages that should be found in /var/log/messages and
    look at 'lspci -vv' output.

    >I scoped the net for answers and seems lots of people having the
    >same trouble and no drivers availlable from the mfg .

    Well, the via-rhine driver specific to that card has been included in
    the Linux kernel for about six years now. From the Scyld web site that
    Donald Becker used to run back then:

    * The VIA Rhine and Rhine-II chips, via-rhine.c. This chip is used
    on many OEM boards. The most common branded implementation is the
    D-Link DFE530-TX. (Note: the DFE530-TX+ uses a RTL8139B chip.) You
    will need a driver with version 1.07 or higher if you have a
    VT6102 Rhine-II chip with PCI device ID 3065.

    >All I want is a card thats Linux friendly . 10/100 pci would do nicely
    >but which brand ?

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 206074 Aug 25 2003 Ethernet-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 1078686 May 23 13:06 Hardware-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 126340 Feb 23 2004 Unix-Hardware-Buyer-HOWTO

    That 530TX ought to work just fine. DLink does have a habit of confusing
    model numbers (the DFE-530TX verses the quite different DFE-530TX+ being
    just one example) and not bothering to document the fact that they are
    different. But there are (literally) hundreds of other cards that are
    inexpensive and work quite well.

    Old guy

  6. Re: Need an ethernet card

    Moe Trin inscribed thus:

    > On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in
    > article , slobbodon wrote:
    >
    >>I am new to Suse . actually i am new to Linux ..so after
    >>installing and then tweeking a little I cant get my ehternet
    >>card to work cuz its a Dlink model DFE 530TX Rev c1 .

    > Look at the boot messages that should be found in /var/log/messages
    > and look at 'lspci -vv' output.
    >
    >>I scoped the net for answers and seems lots of people having the
    >>same trouble and no drivers availlable from the mfg .

    > Well, the via-rhine driver specific to that card has been included
    > in the Linux kernel for about six years now. From the Scyld web
    > site that Donald Becker used to run back then:
    >
    > * The VIA Rhine and Rhine-II chips, via-rhine.c. This chip is
    > used
    > on many OEM boards. The most common branded implementation is
    > the D-Link DFE530-TX. (Note: the DFE530-TX+ uses a RTL8139B
    > chip.) You will need a driver with version 1.07 or higher if
    > you have a VT6102 Rhine-II chip with PCI device ID 3065.
    >
    >>All I want is a card thats Linux friendly . 10/100 pci would do
    >>nicely but which brand ?

    > -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 206074 Aug 25 2003 Ethernet-HOWTO
    > -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 1078686 May 23 13:06 Hardware-HOWTO
    > -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 126340 Feb 23 2004
    > Unix-Hardware-Buyer-HOWTO
    >
    > That 530TX ought to work just fine. DLink does have a habit of
    > confusing model numbers (the DFE-530TX verses the quite different
    > DFE-530TX+ being just one example) and not bothering to document the
    > fact that they are different. But there are (literally) hundreds of
    > other cards that are inexpensive and work quite well.
    >
    > Old guy

    Hi Moe, Hope you are keeping well !

    I think that he has a duff card. Which is probably why it
    wasn't picked up.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

  7. Re: Need an ethernet card

    slobbodon wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am new to Suse . actually i am new to Linux ..so after installing and
    > then tweeking a little I cant get my ehternet card to work cuz its a
    > Dlink model DFE 530TX Rev c1 .I scoped the net for answers and seems
    > lots of people having the same trouble and no drivers availlable from the
    > mfg .
    >
    > All I want is a card thats Linux friendly . 10/100 pci would do nicely
    > but which brand ?
    >
    > M !

    I have a DLink DFE530TX+ (not sure about the rev) that is working in a
    openSUSE 10.2 system running 64 bits. Yast found it and it configured
    with no trouble.

    If you have a problem, it's probably hardware - defective card.

    John

  8. Re: Need an ethernet card

    The card was ok .

    The computer I had it plugged into had swappable harddisks and the other
    system was xp . It worked fine under that .

    I know for sure it w asa driver issue because /ect/resolve.conf was
    completely empty and the system log just kept on saying request
    tijmed out when trying to send any requests to the eth0.

    Sooo i am too new at Linux to know what to do but I did a little
    poking around and afew people were having the same trouble also i am
    not sure of my edition of Linux will check 2 nite the Dlionk website
    came up empty handed with any drivers for my card so I swapped for
    a Realtek and presto changeo online I am !

    The driver that Suse tried to configure the dlink with was a Rhine3 I
    believe

    > I have a DLink DFE530TX+ (not sure about the rev) that is working in a
    > openSUSE 10.2 system running 64 bits. Yast found it and it configured
    > with no trouble.
    >
    > If you have a problem, it's probably hardware - defective card.
    >
    > John

  9. Re: Need an ethernet card

    slobbodon wrote:
    > The driver that Suse tried to configure the dlink with was a Rhine3 I
    > believe

    Hmm. The Rhine family of chips are from VIA, not D-Link. If you had a
    Rhine and XP worked with that, XP's device manager would list "VIA
    Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter", not D-Link.

  10. Re: Need an ethernet card

    Nikos Chantziaras schrieb:

    > slobbodon wrote:
    >> The driver that Suse tried to configure the dlink with was a Rhine3
    >> I believe

    > Hmm. The Rhine family of chips are from VIA, not D-Link. If you had a
    > Rhine and XP worked with that, XP's device manager would list "VIA
    > Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter", not D-Link.

    Dlink 530TX has a via-rhine chipset and works well here with the kernel
    drivers.

    Kind regards

    Jan

  11. Re: Need an ethernet card

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

    > slobbodon wrote:
    >> The driver that Suse tried to configure the dlink with was a Rhine3
    >> I believe

    > Hmm. The Rhine family of chips are from VIA, not D-Link. If you had a
    > Rhine and XP worked with that, XP's device manager would list "VIA
    > Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter", not D-Link.

    I have several D-Link cards running on computers with WinXP and Win98SE and
    running under openSuse 10.2. In Windows the drivers are noted as D-Line
    and under openSuse they are all noted as the Via Rhine Realtek RTL8139.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery