resolv.conf keeps getting altered - Suse

This is a discussion on resolv.conf keeps getting altered - Suse ; Hi, I have a very strange problem that occurred after I got the msg the filesystem had errors. I had suse 10.2 repair this and rebooted. From that moment on, the text of the mtab file was written into my ...

  1. resolv.conf keeps getting altered

    Hi,

    I have a very strange problem that occurred after I got the msg the
    filesystem had errors. I had suse 10.2 repair this and rebooted.
    From that moment on, the text of the mtab file was written into my
    resolv.conf file , every time I rebooted and every time I cut the
    connection to the Internet with the command "ifdown-dhcp eth0" and
    used "ifup" etc. Furthermore, it's classed by suse as a binary file.

    I "solved" the problem with the command "chattr +i resolv.conf" , but the
    cause is still there.

    This is what resolv.conf looks like every time it's changed:

    ### BEGIN INFO
    #
    # Modified_by: dhcpcd
    # Backup: /etc/resolv.conf.saved.by.dhcpcd.eth0
    # Process: dhcpcd
    # Process_id: 2847
    # Script: /sbin/modify_resolvconf
    # Saveto:
    # Info: This is a temporary resolv.conf created by service dhcpcd.
    # The previous file has been saved and will be restored later.
    #
    # If you don't like your resolv.conf to be changed, you
    # can set MODIFY_{RESOLV,NAMED}_CONF_DYNAMICALLY=no. This
    # variables are placed in /etc/sysconfig/network/config.
    #
    # You can also configure service dhcpcd not to modify it.
    #
    # If you don't like dhcpcd to change your nameserver
    # settings
    # then either set DHCLIENT_MODIFY_RESOLV_CONF=no
    # in /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp, or
    # set MODIFY_RESOLV_CONF_DYNAMICALLY=no in
    # /etc/sysconfig/network/config or (manually) use dhcpcd
    # with -R. If you only want to keep your searchlist, set
    # DHCLIENT_KEEP_SEARCHLIST=yes in /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp
    or
    # (manually) use the -K option.
    #
    ### END INFO
    /dev/hdc2 / ext3 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
    proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    udev /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    /dev/hdc3 /home ext3 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
    /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 ext3 rw 0 0
    /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 rw 0 0
    securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0

    nameserver 10.0.0.2

    Anyone got an idea about this one?

    Derk

  2. Re: resolv.conf keeps getting altered

    Derk wrote:
    >Hi,

    >I have a very strange problem that occurred after I got the msg the
    >filesystem had errors. I had suse 10.2 repair this and rebooted.
    >From that moment on, the text of the mtab file was written into my
    >resolv.conf file , every time I rebooted and every time I cut the
    >connection to the Internet with the command "ifdown-dhcp eth0" and
    >used "ifup" etc. Furthermore, it's classed by suse as a binary file.

    >I "solved" the problem with the command "chattr +i resolv.conf" , but the
    >cause is still there.

    >This is what resolv.conf looks like every time it's changed:

    >### BEGIN INFO
    >#
    ># Modified_by: dhcpcd
    ># Backup: /etc/resolv.conf.saved.by.dhcpcd.eth0
    ># Process: dhcpcd
    ># Process_id: 2847
    ># Script: /sbin/modify_resolvconf
    ># Saveto:
    ># Info: This is a temporary resolv.conf created by service dhcpcd.
    ># The previous file has been saved and will be restored later.
    >#
    ># If you don't like your resolv.conf to be changed, you
    ># can set MODIFY_{RESOLV,NAMED}_CONF_DYNAMICALLY=no. This
    ># variables are placed in /etc/sysconfig/network/config.
    >#
    ># You can also configure service dhcpcd not to modify it.
    >#
    ># If you don't like dhcpcd to change your nameserver
    ># settings
    ># then either set DHCLIENT_MODIFY_RESOLV_CONF=no
    ># in /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp, or
    ># set MODIFY_RESOLV_CONF_DYNAMICALLY=no in
    ># /etc/sysconfig/network/config or (manually) use dhcpcd
    ># with -R. If you only want to keep your searchlist, set
    ># DHCLIENT_KEEP_SEARCHLIST=yes in /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp
    >or
    ># (manually) use the -K option.
    >#
    >### END INFO
    >/dev/hdc2 / ext3 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
    >proc /proc proc rw 0 0
    >sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    >udev /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
    >devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
    >/dev/hdc3 /home ext3 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
    >/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 ext3 rw 0 0
    >/dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ext3 rw 0 0
    >securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0

    >nameserver 10.0.0.2

    >Anyone got an idea about this one?

    This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but it looks as if
    there is a problem with the file system. Two different
    files seem to be addessing some of the same inodes.

    The first thing I'd do is run fsck again. If you can,
    unmount the file system and run fsck against it with
    manual controls so that you get all the messages.

    If you can't run it through the SuSE fixup routine
    again.

    If that doesn't work, try copying each file
    to a new location and then change the names
    of the old files with "mv" without deleting them
    and see what happens.

    After that I'm fresh out of ideas.

    Let us know what happens.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  3. Re: resolv.conf keeps getting altered

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but it looks as if
    > there is a problem with the file system. Two different
    > files seem to be addessing some of the same inodes.

    Now that you mention this. Before all problems started, I got the following
    message: "Inodes part of corrupted orphaned linkedlist. Fix?' I answered
    yes and had suse make all the necessary changes. Then all problems started.

    > The first thing I'd do is run fsck again. If you can,
    > unmount the file system and run fsck against it with
    > manual controls so that you get all the messages.

    I'm completely new to this. Can I run the command from a live cd, referring
    to hdc for example??

    > If you can't run it through the SuSE fixup routine
    > again.

    If you could please instruct me how to do this properly.

    > If that doesn't work, try copying each file
    > to a new location and then change the names
    > of the old files with "mv" without deleting them
    > and see what happens.

    You mean: put the letters "mv" before the old filename?

    Thanks !

    Derk

  4. Re: resolv.conf keeps getting altered

    Derk wrote:
    >Paul J Gans wrote:

    >> This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but it looks as if
    >> there is a problem with the file system. Two different
    >> files seem to be addessing some of the same inodes.

    >Now that you mention this. Before all problems started, I got the following
    >message: "Inodes part of corrupted orphaned linkedlist. Fix?' I answered
    >yes and had suse make all the necessary changes. Then all problems started.
    >
    >> The first thing I'd do is run fsck again. If you can,
    >> unmount the file system and run fsck against it with
    >> manual controls so that you get all the messages.

    >I'm completely new to this. Can I run the command from a live cd, referring
    >to hdc for example??
    >
    >> If you can't run it through the SuSE fixup routine
    >> again.

    >If you could please instruct me how to do this properly.

    >> If that doesn't work, try copying each file
    >> to a new location and then change the names
    >> of the old files with "mv" without deleting them
    >> and see what happens.

    >You mean: put the letters "mv" before the old filename?

    >Thanks !

    The command line command "mv" is the equivalent of the
    Microsoft "move" command (which stole it from unix like
    much other good stuff). The command

    mv afile bfile

    will change the name of "afile" to "bfile" in place without
    actually moving the file.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  5. Re: resolv.conf keeps getting altered

    There's the -i option to ls to show the inode of the problematic
    files, if that can help the cause...

    Kind regards,

    PhB

  6. Re: resolv.conf keeps getting altered

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > will change the name of "afile" to "bfile" in place without
    > actually moving the file.

    Well, it moved from afile to bfile as compared to `copy` that copies it.
    So not so much a movement in space and time, but more in being. It moved
    from being afile to being bfile.

    And while we are talking about files: http://tinyurl.com/2r6vlr

    houghi
    --
    The blue light suddenly flashed on my horrified face. What a disaster!
    Oh, the humanity! I never thought it would happen to me. How terrifying

  7. Re: resolv.conf keeps getting altered

    PhB wrote:

    This is not a flame. This is advice on how to get better help and keep
    this newsgroup clean
    Short story: Please read http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    Long story:
    Google unfortunately decided not to use the standards of quoting on
    Usenet. There are several solutions to this problem. The best is to use a
    newsreader. For Windows there is e.g. FreeAgent and for Linux there is
    Pan, Knode or slrn, among others.

    Just point your newsreader to your providers Usenet server. If they do not
    have a Usenetserver, look up a payserver, like http://giganews.com or a
    free server like news.sunsite.dk (registration required)

    Now what if you are not at home all the time and that is your reason to
    select google? Glad you asked.
    If you have a fixed connection, you can use a dyndns server to make a
    connection to your home linux machine over ssl and use anything that is
    on your home computer.
    e.g. ssh home.example.com and then run slrn. GUI interfaces are possible
    as well on any OS.
    If you are unable to keep a connection up, you can register at
    http://www.rootshell.be and then connect to there and use slrn on that
    machine. slrn is textbased and might be scary at first. As Usenet is
    text anyway, you will very fast learn how to use it and configure it.

    Only if all else fails and you have no option in using Usnet in any other
    way, including waiting till you get home, you can use Google. You can
    still quote correctly as described on the following page:

    Understand that many people already filter out google postings. So best
    look for an alternative. Usenet is not WWW. If you want WWW, look up
    a webforum. This is not a webforum.

    I sympathize with your problems, and am more than willing to help you
    solve them. To do so you should follow the correct quoting principles
    and good Netiquette explained in this FAQ available at;
    http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/

    Untill then I and many other regulars who could give you good advice
    won't do so. So in the interest of solcing your problems, quote correctly
    and ask Google to reinstate the correct way of quoting.

    Remember: this was not a flame, this was helping you to get the best
    response and help possible.

    houghi
    --
    The blue light suddenly flashed on my horrified face. What a disaster!
    Oh, the humanity! I never thought it would happen to me. How terrifying
    it is to see for yourself "*The Blue Screen of Death*".

  8. Re: resolv.conf keeps getting altered

    > PhB wrote:
    >

    > This is not a flame. This is advice on how to get better help and keep
    > this newsgroup clean

    > houghi

    Wel, houghi, wuk ei nu eigentlik wiln zegn ?

  9. Re: resolv.conf keeps getting altered

    PhB wrote:
    >>PhB wrote:
    >>

    >>This is not a flame. This is advice on how to get better help and keep
    >>this newsgroup clean

    >>houghi

    > Wel, houghi, wuk ei nu eigentlik wiln zegn ?

    PhB,

    Wa is da fur toal?

    Kenne we engels blieve tikke of wa?

    To the English readers: