USB stick:device is busy - Suse

This is a discussion on USB stick:device is busy - Suse ; I'm using a usb stick on a SuSE10.2 system with only CLI (no GUI) After plugging in the usb stick I type from the CLI: mount /dev/sda1 /media/usbstick That works ok. When I want to remove the usb stick, I ...

  1. USB stick:device is busy

    I'm using a usb stick on a SuSE10.2 system with only CLI (no GUI)

    After plugging in the usb stick
    I type from the CLI:
    mount /dev/sda1 /media/usbstick

    That works ok.

    When I want to remove the usb stick, I unmount it.
    umount /media /usbstick

    Than I get:
    umount: /media/usbstick:device is busy.

    How can I make the device 'not busy' so that I can unmount it ?
    I suppose I have to unmount the stick before removing it, or can I just pull
    it out, without losing the information?

    btw. what is the right way to unmout a device?
    a. umount /media/usbstick (the mount point)
    or
    b. umount /dev/sda1 (the device)
    I've tried both, and both say: device is busy

    Gr.
    Henk

  2. Re: USB stick:device is busy

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    [...]
    > When I want to remove the usb stick, I unmount it.
    > umount /media /usbstick
    >
    > Than I get:
    > umount: /media/usbstick:device is busy.
    >
    > How can I make the device 'not busy' so that I can unmount it ?
    > I suppose I have to unmount the stick before removing it, or can I
    > just pull it out, without losing the information?

    You have to unmount it. Make sure you are not in a directory
    below /media/usbstick in any running shell. Try
    cd /
    umount /media/usbstick

    > btw. what is the right way to unmout a device?
    > a. umount /media/usbstick (the mount point)
    > or
    > b. umount /dev/sda1 (the device)
    > I've tried both, and both say: device is busy

    There is no difference, when you do a umount /media/usbstick
    it will look up which device is mounted there, find
    out it is /dev/sda1 and unmount the device...

    Ralf

  3. Re: USB stick:device is busy

    Some being by the name of Ralf Glauberman managed to piece together the
    following:

    > You have to unmount it. Make sure you are not in a directory
    > below /media/usbstick in any running shell. Try
    > cd /
    > umount /media/usbstick
    >
    >> btw. what is the right way to unmout a device?
    >> a. umount /media/usbstick (the mount point)
    >> or
    >> b. umount /dev/sda1 (the device)
    >> I've tried both, and both say: device is busy

    > There is no difference, when you do a umount /media/usbstick
    > it will look up which device is mounted there, find
    > out it is /dev/sda1 and unmount the device...
    >
    > Ralf

    also worth typing "sync" a couple of times first to ensure the file system
    buffers have been written

  4. Re: USB stick:device is busy

    Ralf Glauberman wrote:

    > Henk Oegema wrote:
    > [...]
    >> When I want to remove the usb stick, I unmount it.
    >> umount /media /usbstick
    >>
    >> Than I get:
    >> umount: /media/usbstick:device is busy.
    >>
    >> How can I make the device 'not busy' so that I can unmount it ?
    >> I suppose I have to unmount the stick before removing it, or can I
    >> just pull it out, without losing the information?

    > You have to unmount it. Make sure you are not in a directory
    > below /media/usbstick in any running shell. Try
    > cd /
    > umount /media/usbstick

    Thanks. :-)
    I found another program (in another terminal) using the stick.
    After closing that program, it worked.

    >> btw. what is the right way to unmout a device?
    >> a. umount /media/usbstick (the mount point)
    >> or
    >> b. umount /dev/sda1 (the device)
    >> I've tried both, and both say: device is busy

    > There is no difference, when you do a umount /media/usbstick
    > it will look up which device is mounted there, find
    > out it is /dev/sda1 and unmount the device...
    >
    > Ralf

  5. Re: USB stick:device is busy

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > I'm using a usb stick on a SuSE10.2 system with only CLI (no GUI)
    >

    > After plugging in the usb stick
    > I type from the CLI:
    > mount /dev/sda1 /media/usbstick
    >
    > That works ok.
    >
    > When I want to remove the usb stick, I unmount it.
    > umount /media /usbstick
    >
    > Than I get:
    > umount: /media/usbstick:device is busy.
    >
    > How can I make the device 'not busy' so that I can unmount it ?
    > I suppose I have to unmount the stick before removing it, or can I just pull
    > it out, without losing the information?
    >
    > btw. what is the right way to unmout a device?
    > a. umount /media/usbstick (the mount point)
    > or
    > b. umount /dev/sda1 (the device)
    > I've tried both, and both say: device is busy
    >
    > Gr.
    > Henk

    If you are running kde, open My Computer and right click on the USB
    drive name. Then select safely remove. That should finish all access,
    unmount it, remove the directory in /media and tell you when it is safe
    to unplug.

    John

+ Reply to Thread