Re: Resize partition - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: Resize partition - Suse ; On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 01:57:51 GMT Michael Soibelman wrote: > Grant wrote: > > > On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 23:54:31 GMT, Michael Soibelman > > wrote: > > > >>I'm trying to install oracle-xe which requires a 1GB ...

  1. Re: Resize partition

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 01:57:51 GMT
    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > Grant wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 23:54:31 GMT, Michael Soibelman
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>I'm trying to install oracle-xe which requires a 1GB swap space. I
    > >>formatted my system with a 1GB swap space but...since my system is
    > >>using a small amount of that (~200MB) there is oly ~800MB free. My
    > >>main / directory has about 16GB free. Can I resize this partition
    > >>by shrinking it a little and increasing my swap space by that
    > >>amount without screwing up my
    > >>system ?? Of course I would do this by booting to cd and resizing
    > >>there.

    > > Yes, remember to shrink the filesystem before shrinking the
    > > partition
    > >
    > > Another option is to simply add a swapfile to increase swap space.
    > >
    > > Grant.

    > How does one shrink the filesystem ??

    Hi
    Use the yast partitioner tool to resize a partition, or have a look at
    sfdisk, mkswap, swapon and swapoff. You could just create a swap file
    and use that rather than shrinking and creating a swap partition.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-smp

  2. Re: Resize partition

    Malcolm wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 01:57:51 GMT
    > Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    >> Grant wrote:

    >> > Yes, remember to shrink the filesystem before shrinking the
    >> > partition
    >> >
    >> > Another option is to simply add a swapfile to increase swap space.
    >> >
    >> > Grant.

    >> How does one shrink the filesystem ??

    > Hi
    > Use the yast partitioner tool to resize a partition, or have a look at
    > sfdisk, mkswap, swapon and swapoff. You could just create a swap file
    > and use that rather than shrinking and creating a swap partition.

    I'm getting deeper into this and am having some anxiety...

    I rebooted to cd and started system recovery. From the console I ran e2fsck
    on the partition I want to shrink /dev/hdc2. Then I ran
    resize2fs /dev/hdc2 36G. (was 36.7 GB before) Everything worked out so far.
    So I rebooted to the hard disk and logged in. Now I'm getting a little bit
    tired after being on the computer for over 10 hours and I'm just trying to
    be cautious...

    So, it seems to me that in order to resize this partition after having
    successfully resized the filesystem on that partition I have to do that
    without the system (or at least this partition) being mounted.. So do I
    have to do this by booting to cd again ??

  3. Re: Resize partition

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:44:36 -0700
    Michael Soibelman wrote:

    > >> How does one shrink the filesystem ??

    > > Hi
    > > Use the yast partitioner tool to resize a partition, or have a look
    > > at sfdisk, mkswap, swapon and swapoff. You could just create a swap
    > > file and use that rather than shrinking and creating a swap
    > > partition.
    > >

    > I'm getting deeper into this and am having some anxiety...
    >
    > I rebooted to cd and started system recovery. From the console I ran
    > e2fsck on the partition I want to shrink /dev/hdc2. Then I ran
    > resize2fs /dev/hdc2 36G. (was 36.7 GB before) Everything worked out
    > so far. So I rebooted to the hard disk and logged in. Now I'm
    > getting a little bit tired after being on the computer for over 10
    > hours and I'm just trying to be cautious...
    >
    > So, it seems to me that in order to resize this partition after having
    > successfully resized the filesystem on that partition I have to do
    > that without the system (or at least this partition) being mounted..
    > So do I have to do this by booting to cd again ??

    Hi
    Sounds like you need too take a break..... :-)

    So if you run yast does it show up as having 700MB free/unallocated?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-smp

  4. Re: Resize partition

    Malcolm wrote:

    >> > Hi
    >> > Use the yast partitioner tool to resize a partition, or have a look
    >> > at sfdisk, mkswap, swapon and swapoff. You could just create a swap
    >> > file and use that rather than shrinking and creating a swap
    >> > partition.
    >> >

    >> I'm getting deeper into this and am having some anxiety...
    >>
    >> I rebooted to cd and started system recovery. From the console I ran
    >> e2fsck on the partition I want to shrink /dev/hdc2. Then I ran
    >> resize2fs /dev/hdc2 36G. (was 36.7 GB before) Everything worked out
    >> so far. So I rebooted to the hard disk and logged in. Now I'm
    >> getting a little bit tired after being on the computer for over 10
    >> hours and I'm just trying to be cautious...
    >>
    >> So, it seems to me that in order to resize this partition after having
    >> successfully resized the filesystem on that partition I have to do
    >> that without the system (or at least this partition) being mounted..
    >> So do I have to do this by booting to cd again ??

    > Hi
    > Sounds like you need too take a break..... :-)
    >
    > So if you run yast does it show up as having 700MB free/unallocated?

    If you mean Yast's partitioner, it doesn't show that information..If I try
    to resize the partition it says:

    "The partition is currently mounted on /.
    It is not possible to resize the file system while it is mounted.

    Unmount the file system and retry resizing."

    Yast partitioner only shows the existing partition but not the unformatted
    section on that partition... Of course I do have unformatted space on
    there as I ran the resize2fs command as I stated previously. And I have
    plenty of free formatted space on this partition (15.8 GB). I resized this
    partitions filesystem down 700MB so that is the amount I want to shrink
    this partition by and to increase the swap size by.

  5. Re: Resize partition

    -----------------------snip-------------------------------
    > Yast partitioner only shows the existing partition but not the unformatted
    > section on that partition... Of course I do have unformatted space on
    > there as I ran the resize2fs command as I stated previously. And I have
    > plenty of free formatted space on this partition (15.8 GB). I resized
    > this partitions filesystem down 700MB so that is the amount I want to
    > shrink this partition by and to increase the swap size by.

    Well I'm going to call it a day and come back to this task tomorrow. I'll
    read any further replies then...

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread