Resize partition - Suse

This is a discussion on Resize partition - Suse ; I'm trying to install oracle-xe which requires a 1GB swap space. I formatted my system with a 1GB swap space but...since my system is using a small amount of that (~200MB) there is oly ~800MB free. My main / directory ...

  1. Resize partition

    I'm trying to install oracle-xe which requires a 1GB swap space. I
    formatted my system with a 1GB swap space but...since my system is using a
    small amount of that (~200MB) there is oly ~800MB free. My main /
    directory has about 16GB free. Can I resize this partition by shrinking it
    a little and increasing my swap space by that amount without screwing up my
    system ?? Of course I would do this by booting to cd and resizing there.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Resize partition

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 23:54:31 GMT, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    >I'm trying to install oracle-xe which requires a 1GB swap space. I
    >formatted my system with a 1GB swap space but...since my system is using a
    >small amount of that (~200MB) there is oly ~800MB free. My main /
    >directory has about 16GB free. Can I resize this partition by shrinking it
    >a little and increasing my swap space by that amount without screwing up my
    >system ?? Of course I would do this by booting to cd and resizing there.

    Yes, remember to shrink the filesystem before shrinking the partition

    Another option is to simply add a swapfile to increase swap space.

    Grant.

  3. Re: Resize partition

    Grant wrote:

    > On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 23:54:31 GMT, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >
    >>I'm trying to install oracle-xe which requires a 1GB swap space. I
    >>formatted my system with a 1GB swap space but...since my system is using a
    >>small amount of that (~200MB) there is oly ~800MB free. My main /
    >>directory has about 16GB free. Can I resize this partition by shrinking
    >>it a little and increasing my swap space by that amount without screwing
    >>up my
    >>system ?? Of course I would do this by booting to cd and resizing there.

    > Yes, remember to shrink the filesystem before shrinking the partition
    >
    > Another option is to simply add a swapfile to increase swap space.
    >
    > Grant.

    How does one shrink the filesystem ??

  4. Re: Resize partition

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 01:57:51 GMT, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    >Grant wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 23:54:31 GMT, Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm trying to install oracle-xe which requires a 1GB swap space. I
    >>>formatted my system with a 1GB swap space but...since my system is using a
    >>>small amount of that (~200MB) there is oly ~800MB free. My main /
    >>>directory has about 16GB free. Can I resize this partition by shrinking
    >>>it a little and increasing my swap space by that amount without screwing
    >>>up my
    >>>system ?? Of course I would do this by booting to cd and resizing there.

    >> Yes, remember to shrink the filesystem before shrinking the partition
    >>
    >> Another option is to simply add a swapfile to increase swap space.
    >>
    >> Grant.

    >How does one shrink the filesystem ??

    I've only done this with reiserfs, using resize_reiserfs to shrink the
    filesystem to some size smaller than the desired final size, then use
    fdisk to actually shrink the partition, then resize_reiserfs again to
    expand the filesystem to fully fit within the partition. I do it like
    that to avoid the need for accurate (down to the byte) size numbers.

    For ext2/3 there's resize2fs, I've not used it, but the man page states
    it can be used to shrink a filesystem.

    Grant.

  5. Re: Resize partition

    Michael Soibelman a écrit :
    > I'm trying to install oracle-xe which requires a 1GB swap space. I
    > formatted my system with a 1GB swap space but...since my system is using a
    > small amount of that (~200MB) there is oly ~800MB free. My main /
    > directory has about 16GB free. Can I resize this partition by shrinking it
    > a little and increasing my swap space by that amount without screwing up my
    > system ?? Of course I would do this by booting to cd and resizing there.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Do you know system rescue cd ?
    It contains a lot of interesting utilities :
    partimage to backup a partition
    qt_parted (= windows partition magic)
    it is a bootable cd containing a linux system and you can work on all
    your disks

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd/

    JMR

  6. Re: Resize partition

    On Saturday 09 June 2007 03:57, Michael Soibelman wrote:

    >> Yes, remember to shrink the filesystem before shrinking the partition
    >>

    >> Another option is to simply add a swapfile to increase swap space.
    >>
    >> Grant.

    > How does one shrink the filesystem ??

    You don't. Not unless you enjoy doings the hard and unreliable way.

    Just use GpartEd (or is it PartEd ?), it exists on many live CD's, and
    there is a dedicated GpartEd CD, too. It'll move/resize/create partitions
    for you.

    Oh, don't forget to backup, anyway.

    Douglas Adams

+ Reply to Thread