Change distro - Suse

This is a discussion on Change distro - Suse ; Thanks for all the replies. Yes, Linux is about choice, and I'll stay in the Linx world. Looks what I need is a triple-boot install, XP for a few windows-only things we need, Suse for daily work, and whatever-buntu to ...

  1. Change distro

    Thanks for all the replies. Yes, Linux is about choice, and I'll stay
    in the Linx world. Looks what I need is a triple-boot install, XP for a
    few windows-only things we need, Suse for daily work, and whatever-buntu
    to see if there's any benefit in it.

    thanks
    John

  2. Re: Change distro

    John Jensen wrote:

    > Thanks for all the replies. Yes, Linux is about choice, and I'll stay
    > in the Linx world. Looks what I need is a triple-boot install, XP for a
    > few windows-only things we need, Suse for daily work, and whatever-buntu
    > to see if there's any benefit in it.
    >
    > thanks
    > John

    Seems like a wise decision. :-)

  3. Re: Change distro

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 22:54:39 +0200, John Jensen wrote:

    > Thanks for all the replies. Yes, Linux is about choice, and I'll stay
    > in the Linx world. Looks what I need is a triple-boot install, XP for a
    > few windows-only things we need, Suse for daily work, and whatever-buntu
    > to see if there's any benefit in it.
    >
    > thanks
    > John

    You might try WINE for the "few windows-only things".

  4. Re: Change distro

    John Jensen wrote:
    > Thanks for all the replies. Yes, Linux is about choice, and I'll stay
    > in the Linx world. Looks what I need is a triple-boot install, XP for a
    > few windows-only things we need, Suse for daily work, and whatever-buntu
    > to see if there's any benefit in it.

    I would replace need with want. ;-)
    Also if you want to give another distributer a chance, use it as your
    main for at least one month. As you can use the same /home dta should
    not be a problem.

    And look if VMware or Parallels isn't a solution for those Windows
    applications or even Wine. That way you don't need to reboot.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  5. Re: Change distro

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 22:54:39 +0200, John Jensen wrote:

    > Thanks for all the replies. Yes, Linux is about choice, and I'll stay
    > in the Linx world. Looks what I need is a triple-boot install, XP for a
    > few windows-only things we need, Suse for daily work, and whatever-buntu
    > to see if there's any benefit in it.

    A lot of people do that. Suse, Slackware, Debian and Dead Rat have been
    around the longest and are a safe bet to consider for a fall back.
    Ubuntu is not so old so IMO, they'd be classified "up and coming". Lets
    hope that doesn't become "flavor of the day".

    On thing you might consider when you do go triple boot is to use a
    third party boot manager in the MBR and install Suse and Unbuntu's Grub
    or Lilo in the root.

    This can get real complicated but all the first stage of a boot
    loader/manager does is set a partition active. By default a Windows
    partition always sets C as active and the second stage is managed
    through the file boot.ini (for > W2K).

    You can also use lilo or grub in the MBR but the "book keeping" starts
    to get complicated. I suggest something that's been around for a long
    time, is highly reliable, free, easy to use and almost bullet proof...

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

    You can install it from a boot disk and if you delete a partition no
    problem - Just rescan and it updates itself. What it does is allow you
    to set a partition active on the fly. Then the second stage is passed to
    the OS's boot loader you select.

    There is also VPART which I can provide a copy of - Works the same way
    but a simpler interface and less options. Neither are really complicated.

    In the future when you install a Linux distro it will ask you where to
    install lilo or grub, root or MBR. Since triple and more booting is very
    common and has long been with so called "Power Users" this option is well
    known and every distro of Linux in the install routine will allow this
    to be done. Sometimes they hide it a bit like under "Advanced
    Settings" in the Bootloader Install section.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  6. Re: Change distro

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 08:53:53 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > And look if VMware or Parallels isn't a solution for those Windows
    > applications or even Wine. That way you don't need to reboot.

    I like having windows around. Have you ever had one of those bug killing
    jars? Booting windows is a great chance to use one, metaphorically of
    course :-)

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  7. Re: Change distro

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On thing you might consider when you do go triple boot is to use a
    > third party boot manager in the MBR and install Suse and Unbuntu's Grub
    > or Lilo in the root.

    Why? Just use Grub or Lilo in MBR and then boot in whatever you desire.

    > This can get real complicated but all the first stage of a boot
    > loader/manager does is set a partition active.

    That is also the reason you don't need it, becase Grub and Lilo can do
    that just fine.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  8. Re: Change distro

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 08:53:53 +0200, houghi wrote:
    >
    >> And look if VMware or Parallels isn't a solution for those Windows
    >> applications or even Wine. That way you don't need to reboot.

    > I like having windows around. Have you ever had one of those bug killing
    > jars? Booting windows is a great chance to use one, metaphorically of
    > course :-)

    You can boot Windows just fine if you use a virtual manager like
    Parallels or VMware.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  9. Re: Change distro

    houghi wrote in

    > Ron Gibson wrote:
    >> On thing you might consider when you do go triple boot is to use a
    >> third party boot manager in the MBR and install Suse and Unbuntu's Grub
    >> or Lilo in the root.

    > Why? Just use Grub or Lilo in MBR and then boot in whatever you desire.
    >
    >> This can get real complicated but all the first stage of a boot
    >> loader/manager does is set a partition active.

    > That is also the reason you don't need it, becase Grub and Lilo can do
    > that just fine.
    >

    > houghi

    You may need to get one of the ubuntu alternative install images. When I
    first wanted to try Ubuntu it wanted to but GRUB on my first harddisk. I
    leave that for Windoze and boot from the second HD where Grub lets me
    choose between different SUSE's, Kubuntu, Gentoo and 2 different XP's.

    The alternative install is text based and lets you not install Grub. Then
    boot back to Suse and use the tools in that to manage multibooting and it's
    version of grub. Safer than letting subsequent versions install own Grub.

    (Actually I have a 10.1 SUSE that I'll keep just for Grub until I feel 10.2
    is my stable setting then switch to that and use the 10.1 partitions for
    10.3).

  10. Re: Change distro

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 22:07:28 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> On thing you might consider when you do go triple boot is to use a third
    >> party boot manager in the MBR and install Suse and Unbuntu's Grub or
    >> Lilo in the root.

    > Why? Just use Grub or Lilo in MBR and then boot in whatever you desire.

    I've no desire to get in a prolonged discussion about this (Google and
    you'll see several of those already) but I'll tell you there are two
    schools of thought. My school of thought is the lazy easy approach and
    many do it this way.

    If you prefer being a purist go for it but that link also contains an
    open source binary that can be compiled if you like and be a true
    "linux" boot manager, where managers do not handle the stage two process
    that a true loader does. Lilo and Grub are mangers and loaders. And in a
    sense it is what computers like do - Branching and chaining operations.

    But, IMO, to brush it off simply because it is Not Lilo or Not Grub is
    condemnation prior to investigation.

    But do whatever floats your boat. In my case every Linux I have
    installed has it's only lilo on the root partition.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  11. Re: Change distro

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 22:09:40 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >> I like having windows around. Have you ever had one of those bug
    >> killing jars? Booting windows is a great chance to use one,
    >> metaphorically of course :-)

    > You can boot Windows just fine if you use a virtual manager like Parallels
    > or VMware.

    Stop The Presses!

    Funny. I boot windows just fine *without* Vmware, which I've tried and
    don't like. But I also don't like Wine or Dosemu either and have tried
    them several times since form the days they first became projects.

    I don't mean that as a blanket condemnation as I suppose their is a
    niche for that sort of thing but in my case my big butt won't fit in
    that niche. For others I'm sure it's different.

    Wouldn't life be booring if we were all the same?

    Might work for others - Not for me as one thing I do is keep several
    doze boxes on life support for friends so it helps to have an
    understanding of the beast.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  12. Re: Change distro

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    >> Why? Just use Grub or Lilo in MBR and then boot in whatever you desire.

    > I've no desire to get in a prolonged discussion about this (Google and
    > you'll see several of those already) but I'll tell you there are two
    > schools of thought. My school of thought is the lazy easy approach and
    > many do it this way.

    Mine as well. That is why I use just one program to boot.

    > If you prefer being a purist go for it but that link also contains an
    > open source binary that can be compiled if you like and be a true
    > "linux" boot manager, where managers do not handle the stage two process
    > that a true loader does. Lilo and Grub are mangers and loaders. And in a
    > sense it is what computers like do - Branching and chaining operations.

    This does not compute. Sorry. No idea what you try to bring across.

    > But, IMO, to brush it off simply because it is Not Lilo or Not Grub is
    > condemnation prior to investigation.
    >
    > But do whatever floats your boat. In my case every Linux I have
    > installed has it's only lilo on the root partition.

    Right. So if I understand correctly, you agree with me to use just one
    program, or am I missing something?

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,

  13. Re: Change distro

    Tweetie Pooh wrote:
    > You may need to get one of the ubuntu alternative install images. When I
    > first wanted to try Ubuntu it wanted to but GRUB on my first harddisk. I
    > leave that for Windoze and boot from the second HD where Grub lets me
    > choose between different SUSE's, Kubuntu, Gentoo and 2 different XP's.

    I have no idea what you just wrote. Sorry.

    > The alternative install is text based and lets you not install Grub. Then
    > boot back to Suse and use the tools in that to manage multibooting and it's
    > version of grub. Safer than letting subsequent versions install own Grub.

    No need to reboot to openSUSE. Just mount the partition that has the
    boot/grub/menu.lst and edit that. Obviously you need a bit different
    solution if you decide to delete that partition.

    It is not so much safer as it is easier. Lilo is a bit easier to edit by
    hand, I think, as it uses easier to understand names for the hard
    drives. Obviously ones you have mounted the partition, you can use any
    GUI to edit anything. It might be wise to copy the menu.lst or lilo.conf
    to other partitions as well.

    What I have is a mobo that I can selct easily to boot from another HD
    without the need to change the bios, so I have a backup grub on the mbr
    of hdb and also on a floppy.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,
    than, say fashion TV - where hot models walk down the runway.

  14. Re: Change distro

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    >> You can boot Windows just fine if you use a virtual manager like Parallels
    >> or VMware.

    > Stop The Presses!

    Why?

    > Funny. I boot windows just fine *without* Vmware, which I've tried and
    > don't like.

    So a virtual manager might be a solution.

    > But I also don't like Wine or Dosemu either and have tried
    > them several times since form the days they first became projects.

    So a virtual manager might be a solution.

    > I don't mean that as a blanket condemnation as I suppose their is a
    > niche for that sort of thing but in my case my big butt won't fit in
    > that niche. For others I'm sure it's different.

    What niche are you talking about?

    > Wouldn't life be booring if we were all the same?

    Depends. If everybody agrees with me, it would be great for me. :-)

    > Might work for others - Not for me as one thing I do is keep several
    > doze boxes on life support for friends so it helps to have an
    > understanding of the beast.

    What might work? We are talking dual boot, not booting different
    systems. Using a virtual manager will keep you understanding the beast
    without the need of rebooting and if you break things, an easy way to
    get back to a previous state, if you so desire.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,
    than, say fashion TV - where hot models walk down the runway.

  15. Re: Change distro

    On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 01:11:19 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > Right. So if I understand correctly, you agree with me to use just one
    > program, or am I missing something?

    No it seems you're trying to find something. Sorry, I don't want to play.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  16. Re: Change distro

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 01:11:19 +0200, houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Right. So if I understand correctly, you agree with me to use just one
    >> program, or am I missing something?

    > No it seems you're trying to find something. Sorry, I don't want to play.

    I do not want to play. I want to understand. If you don't want to
    explain, fine with me.

    houghi
    --
    Personally, I think most sports fans are a little "gay". They'd
    rather watch a bunch of sweaty guys jumping all over eachother,
    than, say fashion TV - where hot models walk down the runway.

+ Reply to Thread