Re: More OpenSuse and Samba questions from beginner - please help - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: More OpenSuse and Samba questions from beginner - please help - Suse ; John Bowling wrote in news:PtW7i.2574$NU1.603@newsfe13.lga: > Bob Bob wrote: >> You can configure Samba with "swat". This is a web based config tool >> that will allow you to setup shares etc. The way you would access it Thanks, found ...

  1. Re: More OpenSuse and Samba questions from beginner - please help

    John Bowling wrote in

    > Bob Bob wrote:

    >> You can configure Samba with "swat". This is a web based config tool
    >> that will allow you to setup shares etc. The way you would access it

    Thanks, found more info about this on the net. Will require a lot more
    study on my part but great pointer!

    >> Keep in mind that Samba can get authentication/user info from many
    >> sources. Along with manually entering password info you can also go
    >> to a Windows domain controller or AD box. You can also get the info

    Using a Windows domain controller sounds like an idea, but over my head for
    now. Will definitely look into this when I have more time later.

    >> You should be able to update offline PC's from a burnt CD/DVD or
    >> local network location. Mirroring the entire update store/tree is
    >> probably a bit extravagant but will work. You could use rsync to
    >> mirror the update store from the remote server to a local location,
    >> then burn a CD/DVD from it.

    rsync... ^_^;; more study needed ^_^

    > Rather than burn a CD, use a USB flash ram. You can catch it up
    > easily, and there are new updates every few days so the CD would get
    > old quick.

    Well, thing is, once I have it on CD or USB stick, I wouldn't know what to
    do with it ^_^;; Still have to figure out how to manually get those rpm
    packages into YaST. Or however you install them. Lots of more study work to
    do, but thank you both for your great info!

    BTW, I posted another question, about ACL inheritance, if you have time, I
    would be very greatfull if you could have a peek.

    Neko

  2. Re: More OpenSuse and Samba questions from beginner - please help

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 15:34:47 -0500, KuroNeko wrote:

    >>> You can configure Samba with "swat". This is a web based config tool
    >>> that will allow you to setup shares etc. The way you would access it

    > Thanks, found more info about this on the net. Will require a lot more
    > study on my part but great pointer!

    If you are mounting samba then a quick start is smb4k, gui mouting and
    scanning tool.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

+ Reply to Thread